Any Goldwing owners?

Bluesticky1

Reaction score
I had to back my bike up a slope the other day, total bloody nightmare.

Got me thinking what a good idea a reverse gear would be. Any 'Wing owners here have any experience? I'd imaging its a weight issue (not a problem on the Goldwing I know :augie ).

Quite apart from assessing the situation and parking accordingly,you may have to be a bit more specific about your bike because some Goldwings DO have reverse gear.
Although it`s not really a gear as such,it relying on the starter motor to drive the bike backwards.

Mine,being a proper Goldwing,doesn`t have it though. :D

081229112958Small.jpg

081229112946Small.jpg

I have a 2013 'wing.

Yes it does have reverse which is engaged only at standstill by engaging a button in to select reverse, and then a second button which while pushed actually drives the bike backwards using the starter motor.

The engine has to be running to keep the battery charged.

Dealer confirmed my question when I bought it that this function is designed to be used every day if required.
After a couple of goes it becomes easy to use, reversing nearly 500 kg of 'Wing and fatty (me) along the drive and up into the garage.
When the select button is first engaged it locks the transmission into the reverse function, so the bike won't move at all, except when the second button is held in to actually reverse, so if you stop reversing the bike doesn't roll back down the hill.

Yes it's very heavy, yes it's very big - but on the move it has two wheels like any other bike, and is easy to ride. It does run out of ground clearance early, but it motors on quite well - have a look at Mark "Weeble" Mannings photographic website and you can see some pics of me going around Cadwell park during a Lincs Road Safety course. http://www.trackphotos.co.uk/p890293920

Why have a joined this forum? - Because on that course most of the instructors were on GS and GSAs, and boy can they make those bikes go, stop and manouver - hence I am going to get one as a second bike.

I have an 06 GL1800 Wing, I don't use the reverse function very often but it certainly has it's uses, Ive had four GoldWings, two of them didnt have reverse, my GL1000 K2 and my GL1100, but they were nowhere near as heavy as the 1800

The link in my post above brings them straight up - well it does on my PC, maybe because I've been on the site before - not sure really - to me PCs are something to vent frustration on when they do their own thing - quite often really.

I can see them now, i dont know why they wouldnt open first time round. I see you had a wee foray on to the grass, not recomended I wouldnt imagine....nice bike BTW...

I'd love to know what the CBR600 rider behind you thought when he saw you & your 'Wing on the circuit.
Fair play to you, she's a lovely looking bike & you look like you were having fun.

I also have an RT (a 12) &, as another poster suggests, always try to make sure I ride the bike into the uphill slope to park so I can gently reverse it downhill when I need to move again.

Back
Top Bottom