Help ! Network issues / Apple updates !

JH

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi,

I have been using my home network without issue for a while now - Mac desktop - Macbook Pro - 3 x iPads and 4x iPhones. We have a single e-mail address and only one Apple ID account.

This has been all great until recently over the last couple of days......... First iMessage started dropping out - each time you would leave home and out of the home WiFi range, when you came home back into range it would drop out, not just on one of the above, but on all but at various times without rhyme nor reason. It would take ages to get it to reconnect and then the next time you go out it would happen again. I rely on iMessage as we do not have a phone signal at home so it means that I can keep in touch with the kids to and fro from school etc. But it has just become so unreliable.

Then last night the printer would not work on the home network, shortly followed by the Mac, the Macbook then only one of the iPads. Despite resetting everything and putting in the correct password, they would not connect. A full reset of the items including the modem, did little to help. It would either say incorrect password or unable to connect 'timeout'.

This morning I managed to reconnect the items one by one but it was still hit and miss and still using the same password! Then I have had items dropping off and refusing to reconnect either with incorrect password or time out message etc. Then on occasion they will reconnect.

Does anyone have any idea as to why. Nothing has changed on my home network, but I understand that Apple is preparing to launch new products and there have been lots of updates going out in the background including Airport utility ones! Is this the cause of my grief can any make any sensible suggestions to someone of limited computer skills please.

:thumb2

My computer skills are also limited
I run Mac and 2 i pads and 2 i phones on our network !

I sometimes have conectivity issues usualy when my son is doing something heavy like minewarcall or whatever it is and i think that is because the shitty home router cant cope with the traffic so to speak as we have far more stuff running at the office but have a top notch router. But nothing liike the problems you describe

now it would seem to me unlikely that all your I products are failing at the same time so could it be a problem with the router ?

What router are you using? Maybe you need to replace it, they do seem to get flakey after some time. Had some weird problems with TPLink router but now changed to Ubiquity and the connection problems disappeared. Worth trying a different router if you can get your hands on one

Thanks

It is a D-Link DSL Router, and only about 12 months old. The ISP swapped it as I used to have such poor service as I am the very last line on the exchange!

But to be fair to them they have managed to get the download speed up to a steady 2 -2.25 Mbps ! Which is fantastic compared to what I got when I first went onto broadband...... Of course it would help if I could get a phone signal but it is fair too rural for that, apparently! Not that the TV reception is any better, without a Satellite dish I would be totally cut off only able to watch images of people in blizzards, despite whatever the programme was meant to be about. Hey ho.

I will test with another router but I just suspect something else........

:thumb

Thanks

It is a D-Link DSL Router, and only about 12 months old. The ISP swapped it as I used to have such poor service as I am the very last line on the exchange!

But to be fair to them they have managed to get the download speed up to a steady 2 -2.25 Mbps ! Which is fantastic compared to what I got when I first went onto broadband...... Of course it would help if I could get a phone signal but it is fair too rural for that, apparently! Not that the TV reception is any better, without a Satellite dish I would be totally cut off only able to watch images of people in blizzards, despite whatever the programme was meant to be about. Hey ho.

I will test with another router but I just suspect something else........

:thumb

I seriously suspect the router
Nothing necessarily wrong with it but the free ones often can't handle several devices at once downloading from them
It can be worth investing in a dual band top notch router such as asus I think ours at the office was about £90 and worth every penny
hundred yard range very fast transfer speed or whatever it's that it does

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OK

Thanks for the tip........ I'll try with an alternative first see if there is any difference, if so it will be upgrade time.

:thumby:

Back
Top Bottom