Riding in London, bus lanes.

wintercat7

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hello All,

I have recently purchased a 1200GS and will be using it around London for the next month or two.
I have a lot of experience in London as I was actually a courier in a previous life but a few things have changed in the preceding 12 years. :blast
I see that bikes are now in allowed in Bus lanes which I think is great.
As far as I can understand it is all bus lanes. Am I correct or do I have to look at the signs and see if their is a Bike on the sign? Has anybody been nabbed for getting this wrong?
Thanks and any tips on changes would be much appreciated.
Hopefully see some of you Tossers at the bike show.

Cheers
Adam

Am I correct or do I have to look at the signs and see if their is a Bike on the sign?

No, on some lanes you cannot ride, you have to look at the sign.

Has anybody been nabbed for getting this wrong?

Here I am.

The last time I rode in London some bus lanes were OK for motorbikes and the bike symbol appeared on the signs, but then after the next cross roads, the symbol could rasily mysteriously disappear. Bloody confusing. It's not as though riding a motorbike in a busy city is risky enough without looking out for those little symbols.

No motorbike symbol on the bus lane sign, no go, simple, unless obviously outside the controlled hours.

Oh yes, and this can change along the same stretch of road

And when you come to Ireland on your bike, feel free to use all the bus lanes. Yes it's against the law here as well but all the cops are happy for you to be in the bus lane as long as you don't act the maggot. I've actually been ushered into a bus lane by a traffic biker :bow .

As darkhorse says, you have to read the signs.

Ride in a buslane that you shouldn't and you WILL get a ticket.

Thanks for the reply's and all the info. As ever it is not as easy as one would hope.
Riding around today I was looking at the signs and yes it seems quite random, will be doing my best not to get a ticket.

Funny you should mention Ireland Luke as I hope to be popping over to the Emerald Isle in the next week or two.:aidan

Adam

You'll soon get used to it. You just need to tune in to reading the signs. Bottom line is if unsure KEEP OUT!!! I've been stung twice from bus lane cameras, both times all I did was cross the line to pass a stationary vehicle and one was only a few feet from the end of the bus lane and I was filtering left at the junction. TFL are not daft, cameras are placed where they know they'll catch the unwary:mad:

Bottom line is if unsure KEEP OUT!!! I've been stung twice from bus lane cameras, both times all I did was cross the line to pass a stationary vehicle

Yes, same here. I still have the video :D

I actually use bus lanes, with outmost care, when the traffic is basically at a standstill and triple checking the signs now.
They are quite helpful. Just keep an eye for people turning left with no indicators on.

By my experience, most of them are rideable.

Thanks for the reply's and all the info. As ever it is not as easy as one would hope.

No one has mentioned the biggest factor about riding in bus lanes. Most of them aren't bus lanes 24 hours a day.

As well as the signs stating what is allowed to ride in them, they also have times when they are operational... most common are the 7am-10am and 4pm 7pm bus lanes. The rest of the time any vehicle can use them.

Car drivers rarely seem to be able to read and stay out of the lanes 24 hours a day, so when i'm driving in my car i feel like an old USSR politburo chief piloting a Zil in his own private lane while the proles all sit crammed in their single lane giving me dirty looks.

So it really is very simple, read the blue signs for vehicles and times. And to make it easy for you every single bus lane has a sign.

Yes I always look at the times when I am in the cage although most round me are 7am-7pm.
Now I have to look at the time and look for the little bike symbol when on two wheels.:eek:

I originally asked as I wondered if it was all bus lanes and that they were just slow in changing the signage but I have been well informed that this is not the case now.:beerjug:

Luke, yes I will be on the bike. February is perfect riding weather no?
Will be heading to Glengarriff and then maybe do a bit of a trip up the west coat. Love my seafood.

Adam

great advice posted here. Get used to looking for the bike symbol first, then start recognising the times. If you're unsure, whatever you do, don't be tempted to follow other bikes using the bus lane. Enjoy your London riding

Back
Top Bottom