When is a service not a servcice from a so called motorbike shop

Harpenden16

Reaction score
Recently brought a beemer of ebay full bmw service low low milage two owners full service. Spoke to the mechanic who I asked him straight out whats wrong with it. Nuffink its the best priced bmw on ebay lots and lots of interest.

Once I got the bike alarms bells start ringing. Torn seat...no big deal so I booked it in for a full service. Again I rang him saying I was disappointed with him not telling me about the torn seat. Not to worry sir I have personally maintained the bike oil change plugs new filters. ok sound good. Not to worry.

I rode it two miles to my local bike shop and it stalled three times !! It turns out he did not replace any filters and only changed two sparkplugs rather than all four. This was six weeks ago and after the full service its very very sluggish through the gears. Changed all the filters plugs and new battery. Plug and play full diagnostic check on all throttle and electrics which are all ok. Going for a full tank ride 200 mile ride next week to see what happens before my local bike shop checks fuel pump and jets.

I fully take full responsablitly for buying the bike but how can a motorbike shop tell so many frigging lies, the mechanic sounded very genuine too. Once the problem is sorted I am going to name and shame the dealer. Wankers

I am sorry but why did you not check the vehicle is as described before handing over any cash? Any description has to be accurate and honest, if its not walk away.
Did you get it from a dealer? is it fit for purpose? The anwser to your question is how can a bike shope tell lies, easy they move their lips, more important question is why are you dim enough to put up with it?

Recently brought a beemer of ebay full bmw service low low milage two owners full service. Spoke to the mechanic who I asked him straight out whats wrong with it. Nuffink its the best priced bmw on ebay lots and lots of interest.

Once I got the bike alarms bells start ringing. Torn seat...no big deal so I booked it in for a full service. Again I rang him saying I was disappointed with him not telling me about the torn seat. Not to worry sir I have personally maintained the bike oil change plugs new filters. ok sound good. Not to worry.

I rode it two miles to my local bike shop and it stalled three times !! It turns out he did not replace any filters and only changed two sparkplugs rather than all four. This was six weeks ago and after the full service its very very sluggish through the gears. Changed all the filters plugs and new battery. Plug and play full diagnostic check on all throttle and electrics which are all ok. Going for a full tank ride 200 mile ride next week to see what happens before my local bike shop checks fuel pump and jets.

I fully take full responsablitly for buying the bike but how can a motorbike shop tell so many frigging lies, the mechanic sounded very genuine too. Once the problem is sorted I am going to name and shame the dealer. Wankers

Good luck, been there done that, not a nice feeling. Hope it get's sorted, everyone appears to be out to rip everyone else off.:mad:

(Just waiting for the words of wisdom from BonnieJoxer, if he can string more than a few sentences together, catch him early enough on a morning he might be OK) :augie

(Just waiting for the words of wisdom from BonnieJoxer, if he can string more than a few sentences together, catch him early enough on a morning he might be OK) :augie

There's a certain air of familiarity in the way you speak of JohnnyBoxer which indicates that you have known him longer than you pretend.

Al

best thing you should have done took it back
not being disrespectful but i don't trust anyone selling a car bike or truck that includes main dealers
the guard has to be up at all times
if all goes ok thats a bonus
you have paid the money get it sorted and enjoy your BMW

There's a certain air of familiarity in the way you speak of JohnnyBoxer which indicates that you have known him longer than you pretend.

Al

You were too late with your deletion of your original post - I quoted it accurately.

You also edited your response to my post.

Al

Good luck, been there done that, not a nice feeling. Hope it get's sorted, everyone appears to be out to rip everyone else off.:mad:

How are you today, Andrew ;)

To the OP

Sorry to hear of your woes, hope your local dealer sorts it

I agree that you have been sold short, but hope things work out

I dunno about vehicles - you get a hunch when buying

I've walked away from more than I've bought over the years ~ no shame in that

Incidentally I usually know if it's the one to buy straight away, like a 6th sense somehow

Browser,

I do like your comments "Dim enough to put up with it "

just who do you think you are talking to ??

I knew I would get negative comments and congratulations I award you the gold star for stating the bleeding obvious.

Well Sherlock if had your specsavers glasses on you would have noticed in the paragraph "How can a Motorbike shop tell so many lies suggest to me its a DEALER.

I brought this bike knowing the full consequences, built up a rapport with the mechanic and believed the lies he told me. I checked al lthe MOT's the mileages, credit check, tax and history. When I received the bike I was straight away on the phone. He had not mentioned the ripped seat and retorted in no-way does this affect the fit for purpose of the machine. The full service he did was all bollox and he even put a stamp in the maintenance book !

I had a budget for the bike which included a full service at my local motorbike shop, this would iron out any niggling worries. Its still ongoing but its getting there.

With your nose for detail you have probably sussed out I had the bike delivered from the dealer in Yorkshire to my home address here in Hertfordshire............... I bet you did not.

On that note it as dented my faith in dealers but as not turned me into a old cynical knarled bitter C U Next Tuesday sort of bloke. Best I jump on my R80 to chill out

Must say Harpenden that you have more faith in mankind than I have to buy a vehicle without first seeing it in the flesh. Especially when buying off a dealer.

Yeah you are probably right, but I am not going to lose anysleep over it.

I took the bloke at face value and fair play he has tucked me up like a kipper. But its a bike I will keep for a very long time so a lesson learnt really.

I am going to have to do a few weekend shifts to cover my costs but there is a lot of other bad stuff going on out there to lose any sleep over a few hundred quid.

On that note its only the second wrong un I have brought over a 30years span so not to bad really !!!!

I rode it two miles to my local bike shop and it stalled three times !! It turns out he did not replace any filters and only changed two sparkplugs rather than all four. This was six weeks ago and after the full service its very very sluggish through the gears. Changed all the filters plugs and new battery. Plug and play full diagnostic check on all throttle and electrics which are all ok.

So it's a twin spark and it's still feels sluggish.

Can i suggest you check the main stick coils/coil caps. Very common problem for these to fail.
Very simple check. Just pull the two lower secondary spark plug caps off so the bike is running on just the two main plugs each side.

If it won't start or fires on just the one side there's your problem. Simple unplug and replace job.
But at approx £85 each not cheap.

Too late for Harpenden on this occasion but quite often an inmate from here will happily go and look at a vehicle as a favour for a remote buyer.

So it's a twin spark and it's still feels sluggish.

Can i suggest you check the main stick coils/coil caps. Very common problem for these to fail.
Very simple check. Just pull the two lower secondary spark plug caps off so the bike is running on just the two main plugs each side.

If it won't start or fires on just the one side there's your problem. Simple unplug and replace job.
But at approx £85 each not cheap.

Great tip Steptoe. Thanks, will remember that for the future:thumby:

Hello Guys, You do know this is the introduction area of the forum ??

Harpenden, would you like me to move your thread over to either the B&B where this conversation/debate can continue in all its glory or would you prefer me to move it to the bike section (please provide me the make and model of your GS)

Welcome BTW, I think you'll fit in well :)

Duchess,

I do not want to upset anybody here but if someone thinks they can take the mick and not get a response then they are sadly mistaken.

The whole point of my post was not blarting about the cost of the machine or the repairs that will be needed, but the down right dishonesty of the Dealer.

How can a business thrive when they give such shoddy service.....that's all.

Anyway you can post the whole debate elsewhere, where ever you think is best. On that note I will post up the whole service todate including the BMW plug and play laptop jobby which checked all the electrics and throttle sensors. The latest theory is a fuel problem which I have been advised to add fuel additives and take it for a 300mile round trip. With thanks

Whoops BMW r1150 GS 2004 14k miles Twin Spark ABS removed.

I am currently getting it touch with the previous owner of six years ago to see if he had any problems I have noticed in the receipts he had a new fuel pump added at 8k miles.

. On that note I will post up the whole service todate including the BMW plug and play laptop jobby which checked all the electrics and throttle sensors. The latest theory is a fuel problem which I have been advised to add fuel additives and take it for a 300mile round trip. With thanks

Failed main coil packs will not show up on any fault code readers including the bmw plug and play laptop jobbies.

Thanks Steptoe I appreciate that.

Will keep you informed of all developments. Cheers !!

Back
Top Bottom