Faulty ESA

masherbike

Reaction score
My bike is at it again. Having recently had a new complete final drive and drive shaft fitted (BMW paid 80% of cost) on my 3 year old 18k miler GS following a replaced clutch and shaft seals plus a new speedo module and computer error fixed under warranty, my bike is at it again. I have just had an enjoyable 4 day trip around the Yorkshire dales, the Lake district and Scotland I am still unable to relax and have confidence in the reliability of my bike. The ESA has started to change it's settings on its own. I will set it to 2 up sport mode and it will change setting to off road soft or any other random setting. It doesn't do it all the time but it did change several times over the trip. Has anyone else experienced this and does anyone know of a fix? This is potentially vey dangerous, as the handling characteristic do change significantly between settings.

Do they actually change while you're riding though as normally you have to be stationary to change the preload settings on a Hexhead?

It might be a problem with the handlebar micro switch. I believe they can be replaced so its worth a search. Also check the wiring loom has not rubbed on the frame at some point. IMO they can be fastened overly tight in the factory.

As BMW has been fiddling with the electronics they could have had some unexpected effect so worth calling them as well.

Do they actually change while you're riding though as normally you have to be stationary to change the preload settings on a Hexhead?
the preload can only be changed when the bike is stationary, the damping can be changed on the fly. Might it be something as simple as a sticking/defective handlebar switch? From the list of other past defects it sounds like the bike has had a hard life - does/has it lived outside where winter weather can degrade switch gear?
Alan R

Yes the pre load can only change when stationary, but it does change on it's own, maybe when in neutral on tickover. It was doing it on the recent trip with 2 up and luggage, previously it had only done it a couple of times, so the weight may be a factor. the bike has not had a hard life. Garaged always and mostly dry miles, very clean and well looked after, never jet washed. I thought these were designed for rough treatment anyway.

It does sound like un commanded operation which in simple terms is caused by either the control system thinking it has received a command to change or it actually has received the command caused by something like a fault in the switch gear. As with any fault diagnosis, being able to replicate the conditions which bring about the symptoms is useful. Sounds like a dealer job at some point - just provide as much information as possible. Good luck.
Alan R

You have been incredibly unlucky with this bike, it won't help you, or make you feel any better to know that this is not the norm, with the overwhelming majority of GS owners traveling 1000's of trouble free miles. If it were mine I'd be considering getting shot of it, but then again you've already invested a lot of time and money into the bike. I'm not sure I'd feel confident about taking it abroad, worrying about what might break next.
Difficult choice, I sympathise fella, hope it's a simple fix and you get it sorted soon.

Back
Top Bottom