Come on Cato .... Lets be having yer ....

So why does it need engine bars, it'll spoil the good looks of the bike

Why do people fit engine bars to bikes - are they dropping them all the time nowadays

Unlike the GS, if this goes down, it could be costly, but I guess that's what insurance is for. Maybe I'll get the engine guards instead.

Hi Nutty
Have you fitted oil cooler/rad guards. I need to think about those for my new (faster) White XR that's on order. Does the XR have linked brakes? Can't find any info on that.

I've got the Evotech guards to go on, as that area is very exposed. Not sure re the linked brakes, I hope not, in a way.

Unlike the GS, if this goes down, it could be costly, but I guess that's what insurance is for. Maybe I'll get the engine guards instead.

I've got the Evotech guards to go on, as that area is very exposed. Not sure re the linked brakes, I hope not, in a way.

It will have linked brakes I am certain as the tricky lean sensitive ABS would not work

Could someone please explain 'Lean ABS' please. In my luddite mind ABS is a safety function which significantly reduces loss of traction under heavy braking (Locking up) I've heard mention of how impressive the system is on the XR is during cornering, are you losing the front and it's rescuing you or does it perform another function which BMW are labelling ABS?

Could someone please explain 'Lean ABS' please. ?

The system pulls in data from the front and rear wheel speed sensors, brake pressure sensors, and the roll, yaw and transverse acceleration sensors from the bike's traction control system to get a very accurate picture of how fast the bike is turning, and how far it's leaned over.

The system then adjusts the maximum allowable brake pressure gradient, as well as how smoothly the ABS system intervenes in the braking process, to enable the best possible stopping power under the circumstances.

As well as helping prevent front-wheel slides and lowsides, the system also helps to proportion braking between the front and rear wheels in order to stop the bike from pushing itself upright on the brakes – so you don't run wide and brake yourself off a cliff.

Could someone please explain 'Lean ABS' please. In my luddite mind ABS is a safety function which significantly reduces loss of traction under heavy braking (Locking up) I've heard mention of how impressive the system is on the XR is during cornering, are you losing the front and it's rescuing you or does it perform another function which BMW are labelling ABS?

My understanding is a bit shaky but i bekieve it allows Heavy breaking whilst leaning without loss of traction and reduces the "stand up effect" of braking in corners.

Now as an old fashioned sort of rider i try to avoid braking other than balancing the bike on the back brake occasionaly so I do not intend to utilise the lean sensitive ABS unless I have to but it cant be a bad thing

http://www.gizmag.com/bmw-abs-pro-hp4-cornering/33034/

As well as helping prevent front-wheel slides and lowsides, the system also helps to proportion braking between the front and rear wheels in order to stop the bike from pushing itself upright on the brakes – so you don't run wide and brake yourself off a cliff.

That was the nugget I was after. Christ knows what I'm going to do now, my old KTM doesn't even have ABS let alone a brake balance mid corner bias monitoring computer system ........ I guess I'll just have to stick to riding it with my brain!

That was the nugget I was after. Christ knows what I'm going to do now, my old KTM doesn't even have ABS let alone a brake balance mid corner bias monitoring computer system ........ I guess I'll just have to stick to riding it with my brain!

It first appeared on the 1190. KTM & Bosch developed it together. Definitely not my field, but the maths involved must have been quite something. Hence the slow migration to other models even within KTM's own range.

Cars have had ESP (afaik, you can't buy a new one without it) for some years. This is a bit of a catch-up for bikes. My only reservation is that my muscle memory has (in extremis), long been programmed not to grab the biggest handful possible, so I might not be able to benefit fully. Newer riders won't have that issue.

I wonder what percentage of bike accidents are due to riders going to hot into bends and then loading the front brake mid corner in panic mode because your brain tells you to squeeze the brake lever !!

So is this the fix ! Are we becoming less incompetent to ride bikes ! Or does it give a false sense to the new rider thinking the brakes will save me !

I wonder what percentage of bike accidents are due to riders going to hot into bends and then loading the front brake mid corner in panic mode because your brain tells you to squeeze the brake lever !!

So is this the fix ! Are we becoming less incompetent to ride bikes ! Or does it give a false sense to the new rider thinking the brakes will save me !

Therin lays what i percieve as the issue !

Technology can improve a good rider that knows all about planning and reading the bends etc etc so they will be able to utilise such technology to advantage where needed but the young bloods that have never heard of a bike without ABS, never mind learning the craft on bikes without good brakes at all, will just rely on the tech and will probably never be good riders as a result and of course will come unstuck at some point because tech can never replace skill it can only mask incompetence

We are all incompetent to differing degrees, I personally like to have any advantage I can take.

People that prop up the bar and say that they can cadence brake faster than an ABS equipped bike/car are nearly always talking bullshit, and the very very few that can, usually have to try many times and cannot do it every time and probably never in an unexpected emergency situation.

I think the modern rider aids are a fantastic development that will save lives.

Therin lays what i percieve as the issue !

Technology can improve a good rider that knows all about planning and reading the bends etc etc so they will be able to utilise such technology to advantage where needed but the young bloods that have never heard of a bike without ABS, never mind learning the craft on bikes without good brakes at all, will just rely on the tech and will probably never be good riders as a result and of course will come unstuck at some point because tech can never replace skill it can only mask incompetence

I'm sure the same was said when drum brakes were replaced by discs............... ;)

There's a lot of truth in the above but it's also slightly patronising and underestimates others abilities to an extent.

I'm not really sure about the whole issue but think I probably fall on the 'it's a good thing' side of the fence and suspect that any issues it may cause it will be more than outweighed by the accidents it prevents. Ultimately it's all irrelevant 'cos pretty much all bikes are heading that way.

What I do know though is that I can switch my 1190 to 'off road' mode and nail it down a track, exiting a bend, on road tyres, and the electronics make me look like some pro enduro riding god - as you say: "Tech can never replace skill it can only mask incompetence" that's me that is and I LOVE it :D

Andres

Rich, is it true the SE models are coming through without the rear rack !

I spoke to the dealer today, and NO bikes are coming with the rear racks, as there is a problem in the factory with the paint, whatever that means! There will be a service bulletin shortly.

I've now gone for the HP engine guards, to match my new levers!:D

I tell ya what your getting good service, within 5 days of agreeing to buy that bike you were able to get a tinted screen and levers ! I've had these on back order for wks and all I've received is one Hp passenger foot peg !!

lol Rich,

You are damn fast with swapping these bikes!:) I tried XR last Saturday again (their demo had 2200mls already) and vibes were still there. I said no again ;( despite temptation from dealer offering me to jump back on XR soon-ish. Did you not experience these vibrations on demo bike and your new XR? Do you remember anything like that on S1kR?

Back
Top Bottom