Fitting a HyperPro rear shock to a 1989 R100GS

SJRoome

Reaction score
Hi

I have just replaced my original BMW rear shock with a custom shock from HyperPro. I bought the shock via Motorworks as I have used them for years. Here is the box from HyperPro.

Shock_1_zpsoekootir.jpg

Opening the box you get the following, plus the shock manual.

Shock_2_zpss5kaagcl.jpg

Here is my 1989 R100GS showing the original shock.

Shock_3_zpscz4te6r9.jpg

First step is to remove the rear wheel. I put it in first gear and undid the 4 bolts holding the wheel on. I used a breaker bar as the bolts are tight. Loosening the rear brake adjustment nut a few turns meant the wheel slid off easily.

Shock_4_zpsa5cdmhzn.jpg

I then removed the seat and the right-hand airbox cover. I supported the rear suspension using a hydraulic jack.

Shock_5_zpsj4etlr3o.jpg

I removed the bolts at each end of the shock. I used a hammer and a piece of wood to drive out the top bolt. It came out very easily as supporting the rear suspension meant there was no load on it. To remove the shock required lowering the jack an inch or so. Here are the old and new shocks together for comparison.

Shock_6_zpsyf3b6vso.jpg

To fit the new shock I greased and fitted the lower bolt loosely first. This requires putting a spacer either side of the lower shock mounting (these were not mentioned in the HyperPro manual but their orientation seemed pretty obvious). I then lifted the shock using the hydraulic jack until the upper bolt lined up and greased and fitted that loosely as well. Both mountings were then torqued to the 30 Nm specified in the BMW manual using a torque wrench. I then undid 4 nuts and a bolt holding the rear mudguard so I could drop it to ease routing the pipe between the shock and its remote reservoir.

Shock_7_zpsmghitzd1.jpg

HyperPro recommend fitting the reservoir between the rear indicator stalks holding it in place with large circlips and this is the only mounting kit provided. Here are views of the fitted reservoir from the rear and from above.

Shock_8_zps1ssba4jq.jpg

Shock_9_zpsqmytyhdb.jpg

Not sure if I will stick with this mounting position. If I do i will trim the excess from the circlips. Here are close ups of the shock mountings just for reference.

Shock_10_zpsviwaqiz9.jpg

Shock_11_zpspwonrzvt.jpg

I used only one of the supplied cable ties to attach the pipe to the frame. I then lifted and reattached the rear mudguard.

Shock_12_zpsulhksb9t.jpg

Replace the rear wheel, seat and airbox cover and re-adjust the rear brake and the job is done. The recommended torque for the wheel bolts is 105 Nm which is higher than my torque wrench goes. I set it to its maximum (60 Nm) tightened each bolt until it clicked and then quite a bit more.

Shock_13_zpse8j7tjny.jpg

Hope someone finds this useful.

Steve

Nice one Steve! Feedback on the shock performance would be nice. Always good to know what the owners think of their kit and mods.

Hi

Thanks. The new shock is certainly different. So far I have only ridden the bike with the shock setup the way it arrived. It is stiffer yet more controlled than my original shock.

I have ridden it over some sections of the A325 & A323 that have truly appalling surfaces and this revealed that changing the rear shock shows up how poor the front end is. Luckily I also purchased the HyperPro front fork upgrade kit. I was going to leave this until I had played with the shock and its settings for a bit but I think I am going to upgrade immediately.

Steve

Just put a second nut on and GENTLY nip it up or change it for a Nyloc

Question for you .......

Did you Re torque the rear bolts with a decent Torque wrench????

If you didn't use a torque wrench its likely they will loosen! probably the only fitting externally on a bike that I do use my torque wrench on I've heard too many horror tales and bearing in mind they are not high tensile bolts have you ever seen what over tightening does to them!

... and some loctite on that lower mounting nut please ( probably won't/can't ever come off...but peace of mind ) :)

Hi

It certainly looks a quality piece of kit and appears very rugged. The last time I thought a GS part looked this amazing was when I bought a NipponDenso starter.

Thats why I think the rubber block and circlip mounting of the reservoir lets it down a bit. I would prefer to mount it to the frame using a gold plated bracket!!

Steve

Back
Top Bottom