Dead alternator in R1200GS LC

My alternator died last week sub 4 yrs old lc gs with 32k on clock - dealer 1st said no way was it the alt as they have never had to fit one but hey they were wrong. Just my luck. Anyways £1500 min to sort!!! engine & gear box out, my mates got a ford kuga £300 for a new alternator. Bmw sort yourself out.
Oh & then there was the flapper jobbie in the exhaust, when that seized it was £1200 for a whole new set of tubes, coz guess what bmw don't do just the small part, bmw sort yourself out. I'm supposed to be mile munchkin circumnavigating the globe not poncing about in the garage skinting myself, I coulda bought a Honda for that.

I would be examining the failed alternator, if it's bits rattling around in it possibly an assembly fault.? I would be asking for a bit of goodwill on that depending on where the fault lies..
Good luck

Not good will but Sale of Goods Act/ Consumer Rights Act. Have a read up. Knowledge is power.

UPDATE I asked the dealer to contact BMW regarding the alternator & my old chums in Bavaria have offered to pay something like 80% of material costs which basically means a 50/50 split so my end is £750 ish. Result I suppose but I still can't raise a smile

Some alternators fail at a low mileage another can last the lifetime of the bike its a lottery but why it is such a major job to replace is beyond me.

Some alternators fail at a low mileage another can last the lifetime of the bike its a lottery but why it is such a major job to replace is beyond me.

I suppose they made it easier to replace the clutch so had to put it somewhere. Replacing the clutch on the previous model looked like a mission and a half.

UPDATE I asked the dealer to contact BMW regarding the alternator & my old chums in Bavaria have offered to pay something like 80% of material costs which basically means a 50/50 split so my end is £750 ish. Result I suppose but I still can't raise a smile

It's a result..! Smile as your contribution will result in a full warranty on the part, make sure they book out the parts to you on the invoice even if it's for a £1

Yep just happened to me. 2014 GS LC. 65000kms. The dealer said they'd seen plenty of them so apparently I'm not the first. The answer...Normal wear and tear. Then after some questions.....they just burn out. Either way it's a $2000+ job. The shims got done recently....The result. Normal wear from normal riding...fine.....Then the clutch....and worse...the pressure plate..... Completely worn out like it had been on a lathe. They did say mine was the first they had ever seen like that and questioned my riding habits. So they sent it off. The company's response. Normal wear and tear.....At least I know my riding is normal....what is that even anyway? #partsquality

Yep just happened to me. 2014 GS LC. 65000kms. The dealer said they'd seen plenty of them so apparently I'm not the first. The answer...Normal wear and tear. Then after some questions.....they just burn out. Either way it's a $2000+ job. The shims got done recently....The result. Normal wear from normal riding...fine.....Then the clutch....and worse...the pressure plate..... Completely worn out like it had been on a lathe. They did say mine was the first they had ever seen like that and questioned my riding habits. So they sent it off. The company's response. Normal wear and tear.....At least I know my riding is normal....what is that even anyway? #partsquality

Inspect components when stripped, unlikely you’ll get much contribution but in my opinion if the alternator components have come loose it was possibly a build problem that was just waiting to happen.. Good luck.!

You have to concur though, bit of a daft design to have an alternator, deep inside the engine, rather than a bolt on ancillary...Still that's progress
I know this is an old thread, but it got me thinking. JohnnyBoxer, how many bits of the engine can you move to the outside. Gearboxes sometimes fail, should we move them to the outside. Camchain tensioners definitely have been know to fail. They should be on the outside too. I could do a whole list of silly things that may fail and should be on the outside to make easier access. An alternator such as this one should in theory should never fail. It is kept clean, at a handsome temperature, no brushes. So I'd say it is in no worse a place than any other awkward part.

It the failure is due to rotor bolt failure, I'd not call that an "alternator failure" as such, more a design / assembly failure.
Is this problem mainly on early LC engines ?

Look at the rust on that shaft :D:blast

Attachments

• Shaft.jpg
    Shaft.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 873
Look at the flags on the beak, and the knobblies that bike has been used worldwide as a submarine.......

Wish I had flags on my awesome steed :(

Gearbox end, looks mint on reflection though

Yeah it will be. All the water pools at the Final Drive end and sploshes about as the shaft rotates through it. Just like a washing machine, so its sat in water just rusting away......

Top end will be mint as the water doesn't pool up that end.

Hey Leo.....how much did that repair end up costing.....I have the exact same problem and bike is in garage this week.

Back
Top Bottom