Northern Ireland possible visit 2016

widget

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
We have been to Southern Ireland for the last two years to visit wifes rellies...Possibly looking to visit the North next year...
any areas best avoided?..We are not to fussed about going to cities, would rather do scenic routes....and if we time it right, a race or two...

There's a lot of information here

I'm sure some of the natives will be along shortly with more suggestions...

Trip Thisaway

Assuming you land in Belfast, Head for Larne.
On reaching 30mph signs, close you eyes and try not to open them till you get to the derestricted sign on the far side.

Generally, the best view of Larne is to be had in the rear view mirror.

you are now on the Antrim coast.Stick as close to the shore as possible, and just ride north. Absolutely stunning for hours. If you stop to take photos, you will never get anywhere.
Look up Gobbins Cliff Walk.
Giant's Causeway you know about.
Carrick-A-Rede rope bridge has been totally fucked up by the health and safety brigade. You might as well go for a stroll on a motorway.
The Sperrins, and of course, Old Bushmills Brewery are not to be missed.
Head on into Donegal, and down the coastline there.
Myke

Assuming you land in Belfast, Head for Larne.
On reaching 30mph signs, close you eyes and try not to open them till you get to the derestricted sign on the far side.

Generally, the best view of Larne is to be had in the rear view mirror.

you are now on the Antrim coast.Stick as close to the shore as possible, and just ride north. Absolutely stunning for hours. If you stop to take photos, you will never get anywhere.
Look up Gobbins Cliff Walk.
Giant's Causeway you know about.
Carrick-A-Rede rope bridge has been totally fucked up by the health and safety brigade. You might as well go for a stroll on a motorway.
The Sperrins, and of course, Old Bushmills Brewery are not to be missed.
Head on into Donegal, and down the coastline there.
Myke

And when going north up the antrim coast road ... take right after Cushendun ... signposted Torr Head .... follow link to see it (road) in reverse with me !
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0LVRwqlrWA
have fun ...............

What about visiting some of the hotspots from the '80s? Bog side and all that ? Or are they still a bit dodgy? I remember my tour through the north in about 1989 on a UK mainland registered bike, I couldn't get out of there fast enough with all the flag waving and military presence everywhere, must be very different now except for the occasional bit of flag waving.

I'd have thought that you'd have driven her on a bit Alan, sure you weren't going to meet anything. :)

Ah ..... yes .... it was a bit slow wasn't it .... had lost first gear , that's my excuse !! .............

what myke said be prepared for a long walk from where ya park the bike till you actually see all 3 tho

bangor coast ards peninsula - if you get as far as magilligan then ferry to greencastle and turn right :D

mournes if the weathers ok

How long for and when are you planning to come over ?

:aidan

Possibly some when near end june start of July. We went to the Skerries race last year, which was when the Doctor John hinds sadly died.

We will still want to visit the relatives near cork, as the Aunt is quite elderly, and another branch of the family near Naas..

Thenks for the replies, given us something to work with.

Possibly some when near end june start of July. We went to the Skerries race last year, which was when the Doctor John hinds sadly died.

We will still want to visit the relatives near cork, as the Aunt is quite elderly, and another branch of the family near Naas..

Thenks for the replies, given us something to work with.

We are away ourselves at that time,shame as we would have tried to meet up you can't beat local knowledge. No road races in the North at that time.

:aidan

up North

Northern Ireland is beautiful and the people are lovely. We toured this yr in a car(such is life) rope bridge, giants causeway(get there later in the day you don't have to pay :) Ballinaboy harbour, stay in the Cuan Inn(strangford) lovely place and lovely people in the hotel. On the coastal route go to Upstairs At Joe's Cushendall, superb local food scallops a must. Also Cushendun, Visit Derry and walk around the city walls and over the peace bridge. You will be fine.

Its all good and always was.
Derry is cool, Belfast is a great party town.
Don't miss out Fermanagh a beauty of a county we had our CBX rally there this year.

Attachments

• 20150807_120020.jpg
    20150807_120020.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 77
  • 20150807_120036.jpg
    20150807_120036.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 83
  • 20150807_125409.jpg
    20150807_125409.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 76
  • img009.jpg
    img009.jpg