That old chestnut !!

tweedy453

Reaction score
Hi there all, I have done a search on where to mount a pmr when connected to a autocom and its come up with in the tool tray in a top box in a tool tube none of which really appeal as I ether have to drill holes in my panniers suffer lack of coms distance due to pmr on its side or fit and aerial to gain coms distance and poss break the law :mad:

Has any one had experience of fitting the pmr up front in the cockpit area of a GSA 1200 and if so how do they find it in terms of practicality security etc and more importantly how did they mount it ? Any suggestions most welcome
All the best Jon :thumby:

Ps I have a autocom super pro a I and a ptt switch if this helps :nenau

I really wouldn't worry about the separate aerial 'breaking the law'. Its like the tiniest law there is and nobody gives a fek.
Anyway, I decided to fit my PMR up front. This what I did......
The radio holder is a mountain bike mobile phone mount, which I adapted.

Attachments

• pic 1.jpg
    pic 1.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 368
  • Pic 4.jpg
    Pic 4.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 369
  • Pic 2.jpg
    Pic 2.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 373
  • Pic 3.jpg
    Pic 3.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 371
  • Pic 5.jpg
    Pic 5.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 366
What's the mount you've used there?

Just edited my post to say that.....must be physic.
A lot of such mounts come in two halves. Put one half on your bike and glue the other half to the radio battery.
Makes it easily detachable.

I really wouldn't worry about the separate aerial 'breaking the law'. Its like the tiniest law there is and nobody gives a fek.
Anyway, I decided to fit my PMR up front. This what I did......

That looks about spot on for what I am wanting its looks like you are powering your pmr via the din plug in the cockpit cover whereas mine would be powered via a battery eliminator through the autocom how do you secure the pmr to the bracket is it quick release ? Any problems in adverse weather ? Cheers Jon

Just edited my post to say that.....must be physic.
A lot of such mounts come in two halves. Put one half on your bike and glue the other half to the radio battery.
Makes it easily detachable.[/QUOT

Still not grasping this the old gray matter is as thick as porridge so please be gentle with me lol I get the bit glue one half to the battery but how is it secured to the other half nuts n bolts Velcro ???
Cheers Jon

That looks about spot on for what I am wanting its looks like you are powering your pmr via the din plug in the cockpit cover whereas mine would be powered via a battery eliminator through the autocom how do you secure the pmr to the bracket is it quick release ? Any problems in adverse weather ? Cheers Jon

Its a push & twist fitting. Like I say, its from a mountain bike phone holder so its pretty secure.
Never had any problem with the weather. Its a Puxing so its reasonably showerproof but with it being tucked in behind the screen it doesn't really get wet.

Its a push & twist fitting. Like I say, its from a mountain bike phone holder so its pretty secure.
Never had any problem with the weather. Its a Puxing so its reasonably showerproof but with it being tucked in behind the screen it doesn't really get wet.

Ah the penny has dropped :) so as regards security you just twist and unlock and take the pmr with you when you stop for petrol having a park up and a stroll etc

Is this what you were looking at Pete?

All I did was purchase a "Maxpedition" pouch, I think it was less than £20 off eBay. Used a Ram mount with a flat plate adapter. The pouch has a couple of very sturdy velcro straps on the back so i opened them all up and closed them round the flat plate. then just 2 cable ties to hold in place.

Tony might be able to take more pics if you ask nicely :rob:blagblah

Attachments

• IMG_0109.jpg
    IMG_0109.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 251
RAM do a mount that fits on to a kenwood very nicely then just mount with another ram arm on the bars
PM roadcraft rider he knows the part number and can possibly show you pics of his set up !

I did this on mine but no photos

I checked the Ram mount UK site before I installed mine and the kenwood electronics online shop. Ram do supply one but its not a generic radio holder but specific to the TH-DA7. Mine is the TK3302. Kenwood had nothing....at the time anyway! :blagblah

I checked the Ram mount UK site before I installed mine and the kenwood electronics online shop. Ram do supply one but its not a generic radio holder but specific to the TH-DA7. Mine is the TK3302. Kenwood had nothing....at the time anyway! :blagblah

Yes the ram mount is a flat plate with a ball on it that is designed for a tom tom i think but it screws perfectly to a kenwood where the belt clip bit should be

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456772386.065005.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1456772431.890615.jpg

TC GS

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456772526.949545.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1456772553.845054.jpg

TC GSA

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456772599.719793.jpg

Back of pro talk, the ram base holes line up perfectly with the belt clip screws

I have a couple of
Pics on an LC if any good

Sent using Tapatalk

RAM do a mount that fits on to a kenwood very nicely then just mount with another ram arm on the bars
PM roadcraft rider he knows the part number and can possibly show you pics of his set up !

I did this on mine but no photos

Thanks for the heads up I am going to check out the ram site I've got a few ram oddments left over from a previous sat nat mount so could be. A cheap fix !

Is this what you were looking at Pete?

All I did was purchase a "Maxpedition" pouch, I think it was less than £20 off eBay. Used a Ram mount with a flat plate adapter. The pouch has a couple of very sturdy velcro straps on the back so i opened them all up and closed them round the flat plate. then just 2 cable ties to hold in place.

Tony might be able to take more pics if you ask nicely :rob:blagblah

That looks well tidy mate thanks for the photos and inspiration just what I needed cheers jon

Back
Top Bottom