iPad worn out? ... which replacement?

Micky

Never knowingly understood
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
My old and faithful iPad (2 I think) has seen quite a few years of reliable service but just lately it's locking up, takes its time, shuts down of its own accord and is just generally misbehaving. I've tried a few re starts etc and it'll work for a while ....

I guess these things have a finite life, and it has been bumped around Europe in a top box for thousands of miles. Anyone else worn theirs out?

Is it worn out? Can it be worn out? It's a 64Gb with 4Gb remaining space

So I'm just looking maybe to replace it, but with what?

Maybe the iPad Mini 4 128Gb WiFi only ... any for's or against's? Other recommendations?

:beerjug:

i'd try an iOS reinstall before binning it.

having said that, the iPad 2 is very very slow compared with the latest models anyway. much higher res screens since the iPad 3 too :)

i'd try an iOS reinstall before binning it.

having said that, the iPad 2 is very very slow compared with the latest models anyway. much higher res screens since the iPad 3 too :)

i dont think the i pad 2 will run the latest ios ( could be wrong here) I am in the same position my 2 is running pretty slowly I only really use it for browsing these days

I keep looking at the ipad pro

Before you bin it, try a full wipe and reinstall.
I think you might be pleasantly surprised.

i dont think the i pad 2 will run the latest ios ( could be wrong here) I am in the same position my 2 is running pretty slowly I only really use it for browsing these days

I keep looking at the ipad pro

Yep...iPad pro looks good to me for my next gadget...though maybe I should just stop buying gadgets

I have an ipod 2 and it is doing the same as yours.(dropping it didn't help mind) I had a look at a pro and it is so much faster, looks a great bit of kit.:thumb

Don't forget there is a refresh to the Ipad being announced within a week. Im in the same situation with an Ipad2, and am hoping that the newer version has some of the attributes of the Ipad pro (as I dont want something that big). It would be great if the new version works with the Apple pen, as I'd really like that.

Can't recommend the Mini, too many compromises, and the early ones the battery life wasnt great (not sure if thats been improved).

RBW.

Micky,have had an iPad Air for work apps, just used for personal use now. So much lighter than your iPad 2. Julie's went very slow so we cleared out old apps and photos which helped a little, bought her a new iPad Air for her birthday to replace it,she is delighted with it. :thumby:

Thanks for the help and advice guys'n gals :thumby:

Must admit to getting all horned up over a newer later version :eek:

Edit .... Andrew, you spoil the girl ;)

Hi Micky
before buying a new one, try cleaning it by removing unused apps etc. It may be that its just to "full" to work correctly. BTW, thats a stylish hat you wear !!!

Hi Micky
before buying a new one, try cleaning it by removing unused apps etc. It may be that its just to "full" to work correctly. BTW, thats a stylish hat you wear !!!

Cheers Steve ... but it does have 4Gb space available still. Yes, there's loads of Apps (and games) not used, never been used, so may well go down that route anyway :thumby:

If you want to get ahead get a Tilley :D

i-WxxQfJh-L.jpg

Older ipads won't load the latest operating systems, but app developers carry on regardless to develop their apps for the latest versions, so eventually you reach the point with an older ipad where it will freeze when trying to run apps that require more recent levels of the operating system.

So you will have to replace it eventually and waiting for a new version would be they way to go because apple will often reduce the prices of the current models at the same time.

You could try to improve the performance of your ipad by:-
- deleting unused apps, pictures and videos etc
- back up the ipad
- do a factory reset
- set up the ipad using the 'restore from backup' option
- if it works faster then 'happy days'

Email sent from my ipad mini which i love :))

Wipe and reinstall should help. Clear out unused apps. If you have the BBC news app, it grows massively over time and the only I've found to clear it down is to delete and reinstall.

Been playing with an iPad Air, only 16GB, but seems to have an amazing battery life, a bit awkward to hold in one hand and a rather nice screen.

I have an iPad mini and a pro, the latter is for work as I use the apple stylus for drawing.

The mini is great and it sounds like there will shortly be a mini you can draw on.

If I know Micky there will be an I pad pro arriving at chez M very soon !

Susan will be getting one shortly as her current I pad 2 is also doing the slow thing and the battery is pretty well banjoed

I use an old iPad for browsing and it just keeps on going. Amazing battery life and quick start.

Back
Top Bottom