Vario Panniers - Do they require lubricating?

DeanoBeano

Reaction score
I've just picked up a pair of used Vario panniers. They perform okay but when I try to expand them they seem a little stiff (not very fluid. I've not owned a pair before so not sure what's the norm. Can they be lubricated? And if so, where?

Any advice appreciated.

Mine are really stiff as well, thought I was going to break them the first time I expanded them. Not sure if this is normal though.

GT85 is a great silicone lubricant suitable for use on plastics. That could ease them off.

They always become very stiff if left in one position for too long - I had to get my dealer sort mine out, they were good for some months but they are becoming stiff again.

I haven't worked out what the root cause is but if you put them into the 'in' position you will see the inner lower edge bow upwards as if it is being squeezed by the outer -they become distorted for some reason. One day I will dismantle them completely and work out what's going on.

I've just picked up a pair of used Vario panniers. They perform okay but when I try to expand them they seem a little stiff (not very fluid. I've not owned a pair before so not sure what's the norm. Can they be lubricated? And if so, where?

Any advice appreciated.

Depends on where you were planning to insert them....:aidan

I used silicone furniture polish.

Spray it on the mechanisms and the sides that slide against each other when the panniers expand/collapse.

A couple of times a year is all they need to keep them silky smooth.

Andres

I found the lower half corner radius and the upper half radius doesn't match. I had to soften the inner radius with a heat gun whilst gradually lowering the upper half, once fully lowered the heat reformed the inner radius making the lever action uch easier.

Hope that makes sense

Jay

I found the lower half corner radius and the upper half radius doesn't match. I had to soften the inner radius with a heat gun whilst gradually lowering the upper half, once fully lowered the heat reformed the inner radius making the lever action uch easier.

Hope that makes sense

Jay

I had thought of doing that because the fit doesn't look quite right to me hence the bowing - now that I know someone else risked it first then I might have a go :)

I had thought of doing that because the fit doesn't look quite right to me hence the bowing - now that I know someone else risked it first then I might have a go :)

Yes mine bowed that's what made me realise the corners need reshaping.. But I think it may compromise the sealing of the upper and lower half.

Back
Top Bottom