Help please: Nav V map updates

Zog

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all, I've been trying unsuccessfully to update the maps on a used Nav V, without success. I've registered it with Garmin and every time I log in I'm told that I can update the maps. However, it stalls every time at 50%. I've installed a new 32gb card and added 'My Garmin' as a trusted site. My system uses Vista, but think it's ok.What else should I be checking? If I had any hair left, I'd be pulling it out.
Thanks in advance.

Is the device itself stalling, or is your PC stalling as it interprets the limited resources placed on it as being idle, so it stops?

Is the SD card brand new, not cluttered with all sorts of other junk and correctly formatted to FAT 32?

Have you tried it with an alternative SD card (you do not need 32 gb of space) preferably brand new and correctly formatted?

Have you tried returning the Nav V to its base factory settings (save all you stuff on it to your PC first) to rule out any 'improvements' the previous owner(s) made to it?

Hi, thanks very much for the quick reply! I think the laptop is stalling, rather than the sat Nav. The SD card is new. No idea what it's formatted to - I didn't realise there was a choice. I've ordered another one Justin case.
I'm not really seeing any map on it at the moment, just some main roads and my bike off to one side, in the greenery. I'm no tecky, so this may take while to figure out,but you've given me something to try out. Thanks!

What you are looking at there is just the base map, that's almost a certainty.

Just before you go any further, just check what maps you might have installed.

Go to:

Home screen

Settings

Map & Vehicle

Arrow down

MyMaps

What does it say?

Which ones are ticked?

Tick the one that says something like CN Europe NTU ..... ALL. Assuming that it's there of course.

Any better?

OK, so now you / we definitely know there are no detailed maps loaded.

That either means the original owner(s) removed them or that they were removed in part of your 50% aborted update process. The latter is quite likely.

Put in a fresh, preferably a brand new FAT 32 formatted SD card of say 8 or 16 GB size and set your computer to avoid switching itself off.

Report back.

PS I have no idea whether a PC running Vista is up to the task, someone will know.

Hi again, much obliged, I'll try it as soon as I get the new card in the post. Thanks!

I've updated Garmins with Garmin Express under Vista on three different computers and it worked perfectly well on all of them. As they came with Vista they're now old and, by modern standards, underpowered but they do work. The symptoms the OP is getting are those I had when I installed CN2017.1 the day it was released: downloading the maps would stall frequently, presumably because Garmin's servers couldn't keep up. I'd suggest starting Garmin Express (downloaded from http://software.garmin.com/en-GB/express.html if the OP doesn't already have it), connect the Nav V with a usb cable and download the maps to both computer (fairly quick) and device (potentially very slow). If any firmware updates are available I'd install them before the map update.

A sudden thought: deep in the bowels of Garmin's FAQs is the advice that they don't work well via a USB hub. This, from experience, includes the hub built into my Hewlet-Packard desktop, which has USB and card sockets on the front. The rear sockets, which are direct to the USB controller, work fine.

Have you checked that it is not just your laptop going into sleep mode? Laptops often have this feature enabled to save battery power. I have heard of people having problems with downloads because of this.

John

Hi all, I've been trying unsuccessfully to update the maps on a used Nav V, without success. I've registered it with Garmin and every time I log in I'm told that I can update the maps. However, it stalls every time at 50%. I've installed a new 32gb card and added 'My Garmin' as a trusted site. My system uses Vista, but think it's ok.What else should I be checking? If I had any hair left, I'd be pulling it out.
Thanks in advance.

What network are you using - my work network always stalls when trying to update my Nav V using Garmin Express - I think that our firewall does not like Garmin! If I tether my phone as a WiFi hotspot it always works. Just did it this morning at my desk.

Wow, lots to digest. I don't think the laptop is in sleep mode, as the screen is still active.
I've no idea about tethering ( what is that?). I thought that by adding My Garmin as a trusted site, the firewall wouldn't be an issue.

Wow, lots to digest. I don't think the laptop is in sleep mode, as the screen is still active.
I've no idea about tethering ( what is that?). I thought that by adding My Garmin as a trusted site, the firewall wouldn't be an issue.

Tethering is using your mobile phone as a Wi-Fi router instead of your home Wi-Fi router or a wired network. You then connect to the Internet via your phone service provider, most have limited data tethering these days but mine is still unlimited.

Anyway the point is whenever I use the company network, wired or Wi-Fi then my Nav V always stalls during a map upgrade as you describe - if I do it on my home connection it works fine or if I tether my phone to my laptop it works fine too.

Presumably you are using Garmin Express, if you have had this on the laptop for a while ( you don't say if the Nav V is your first Garmin) then try removing it and downloading a new version. Garmin software is often a bit flaky and I have had to do this two or three times over the years to be able to successfully update maps. Last time was for 2017.1, My version of express started to work but then told me it would take several hours to do the download and appeared to be making zero progress. I deleted that one, re installed and the whole process, PC & device, took about 35 mins

Obviously if this is your first Garmin and you downloaded Garmin Express for the map update then your version of Express should be OK.

John

Hi again, thanks one and all, I re-installed Garmin Express and fitted a new memory card. I also deleted old Garmin files and hey presto it worked. I've been buggering around with this for a while, without success. The Collective comes through yet again!

Garmin Express

BE CAREFUL

I just dared to upload the new maps and did NOT press the indicated button to download Garmin Express as I remembered I already had it installed from the last epic.

That was a stroke of luck because the latest version of Garmin Express ver 4.1.21.0 does NOT offer the options to download to "device only", "computer only" or "device and computer" (device means your satnav..)

When I came to download the maps onto my notebook which I carry when touring I had to use the latest version. It offered only to download to "device" so I couldn't get it onto the notebook.

25mins on hold later Garmin inform me that they are working on a fix for the latest G Express....

I had managed to save a much older version ver 4.0.10 I think, it worked..

If you are tempted to download the latest maps less than a fortnight before you go away, please don't. There is ALWAYS some problem with it!

There is an update available for Garmin Express (v. 14.1.22.0), at least there is on my Apple Mac

Back
Top Bottom