Slight harshness @ 3500 rpm

peepingtom

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hello, I've just brought a 2012 gen 1 bike with 60,000 miles on it and having never ridden a s10 before cant compare to anything.
When riding in any gear at around 3500 rpm there's a roughness to the engine that can be felt through the pegs it's only very brief but wondered if it was part of the character of the bike or something else?
It's has a bit of tappet noise too :blast at least I think it's tappets :rolleyes:

I was suprised by the pace of the bike certainly good on faster roads but at the moment prefer my 650 vstrom on the back roads as it's less work and more fun.

Trying to get hold of the PO to get the full history of the bike as it was a px from a back st dealer.

Is it the character of the bike ?:beerjug:

Have you got the original pegs or the wider aftermarket pegs.

Going from standard with rubber inserts to aftermarket with no rubber inserts let me feel the vibrations through the pegs at 3500 rpm (ish).

hi,
I think 3000rpm-4000rpm was the rev range the gen one had clutch rumble,, this was cured on the gen2 and is a straight swap/ conversion, it apparently makes the gen1 a lot smoother,
hope that helps :)

Sounds like what many others say.

I found mine OK, but only got up to 23,000 miles, with your mileage perhaps it gets a bit worse?

Gen2 clutch basket will help a lot according to those who have tried it, but is expensive at UK prices, in the US the costs are under half the UK prices and some US firms give big discounts on OE Yamaha spares so they can be had for about 1/3rd of the cost - even after shipping and if hammered for import duty this will work out a lot cheaper.....

...or just live with it.

Great thanks for the replies its not such a big deal i was just concerned about something on the way out and it going bang. Ill get some miles in before i decide whether to go the new clutch rouute. Ive got family in USA so that would be a good way to do it. Thanks again ill be back with other things like an awkward to use ignition .yamaha ones have always been rubbish since the dt175 and 600 tenere.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

It was very cheap though so im expecting to spend a bit but so far its all looking alot better than i feared .its certainly alot quicker than i expected

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Updated clutch

Hello
Has anybody tried the upgraded aftermarket ,such as Barnett clutches fron the USA?

Rgds Allan:thumb2

Ive got family in USA so that would be a good way to do it.

I would go down that route, while your at it also get a Gen2 Camchain Tensioner, the Gen1 ones are not as good and again they are far cheaper in the US, Stadium Yamaha in the states give discounts on Yamaha spares and when I looked I could get a CCT from them for about £80 Vs £225 in the UK!

At 60,000 miles both of these parts will be fairly worn anyway and IMO the peace of mind of swapping them out worth the relatively low cost - AFAIK there is not really anything else that can be improved / fails on these bikes apart from having the ECU flashed to remove the restrictions in 1st - 3rd gear....

...I would assume your spokes are already tarnished as mine where starting to look a bit worse for wear after 20k with lots of TLC, but "They all do that sir"

I would go down that route, while your at it also get a Gen2 Camchain Tensioner, the Gen1 ones are not as good and again they are far cheaper in the US, Stadium Yamaha in the states give discounts on Yamaha spares and when I looked I could get a CCT from them for about £80 Vs £225 in the UK!

At 60,000 miles both of these parts will be fairly worn anyway and IMO the peace of mind of swapping them out worth the relatively low cost - AFAIK there is not really anything else that can be improved / fails on these bikes apart from having the ECU flashed to remove the restrictions in 1st - 3rd gear....

...I would assume your spokes are already tarnished as mine where starting to look a bit worse for wear after 20k with lots of TLC, but "They all do that sir"

Thanks Rasher I think your right there I'm trying to talk to the previous owner to see what work has been done exactly so I know where I stand . Yes the spokes aren't great and a few bolts rusty but overall the paintwork and general look of the bike would be consistent with a bike of at least half the miles.
That little tappet noise I have could be the cam chain tensioner , I will put one in best get pals with my cousin again haha
Thanks for the info

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It might be worth giving John a shout at http://www.vibefreev.com/ he does amazing things with the clutch basket on V-Strom Thou's, it totally transformed by bike, I'm sure I'd read he was looking at improving the Gen 1 S10 but this was before I bought one so I could be wrong!

It might be worth giving John a shout at http://www.vibefreev.com/ he does amazing things with the clutch basket on V-Strom Thou's, it totally transformed by bike, I'm sure I'd read he was looking at improving the Gen 1 S10 but this was before I bought one so I could be wrong!

Thanks I'll give this some thought too. Nothing on web site but I'll mail him cheers

Back
Top Bottom