Anyone moved here from an airhead?

B Murr

Reaction score
Just curious as I find myself a little tempted. So anyone here who moved to an F800GS from something like an R100GS? R100GS being a bit primitve but simpler than the F800GS. I saw that Sam Manicom had use of one and was impressed. If you did the move, how have you found it, how do they compare?

Not a direct move but.
year 2000. after running a few R80s R100s and an R65 I considered buying an R1100, the way the bike rode was so different and dynamic, however the model was being changed to the 1150 series.I purchased one of the first R1150R models, mainly because there was a 6 month waiting list for the R1150GS. It was so different to the air cooled model and felt so modern. 16 years and a few BMWs later I'm running a 2016 GS800. I still look back on my times with the air heads with good memories, nothing broke, servicing was home done and simple yet I know if I lift the garage door and saw an R80 or my F800GS I know which one I'll choose to ride.
Despite knowing this I still look on Ebay for R65s every few weeks because riding the new bikes through winter seriously damages them. I don't like cleaning vehicles so I watched my R1200GSLC slowly rot over two winters with its rubbish construction,the 800GS is a bit better but still corrodes. Looking back at my R65 it had no engine paint, after winter you could wipe off the the salt with a cloth and polish it up like new. The bolts corroded but stainless kits were available.
In conclusion the modern bikes are so much better, but made so much cheaper. Don't expect to see people in the future buying 25 rear old F800s to make bobbers.

I went the other way and now have an R100GS as my main bike. If you can, keep the airhead and buy an F800 as well.

Just curious as I find myself a little tempted. So anyone here who moved to an F800GS from something like an R100GS? R100GS being a bit primitve but simpler than the F800GS. I saw that Sam Manicom had use of one and was impressed. If you did the move, how have you found it, how do they compare?

I did last month.

Only drove it 500 miles back to Cork and found it similar but different - lighter, nippier, quicker to steer and much better economy.
Dives more, but will fit Hyperpros.

Sargent Seat fitted when I bought it - as has my 1150 - but not as good as 1150 yet as it makes you slide a bit forward. Will see if I can get modified.
Lovely engine so far.

I fitted a larger Screen - a bit better than standard, but have an MRA to add to it, which might make it a bit better.

It will take a bit of getting used to after 10 years of an 1150, but I think it will be fine.

Took the 1150GS to France last week as the 800 was not registered in time.
1150 was faultless and was glad I had it as it was probably more comfortable for what I was doing.

Remainder of VC5 arrived in post today, so will be getting 800 on the road again soon hopefully.

Give me a shout if you want to know more.

Interesting replies guys, fits in with what I imagined the situation to be. A great bike, even if less amenable to home servicing. Having both would be best way to go and see which gets left behind most of the time.Cheers Frosti, may give you a shout if I find myself making the move.

I purchased a F800GS and my brother has the R1150GS,his bike makes the more planted relaxed tourer but i am glad of the light weight of the 800gs most of the time. It is a real shame they didn,t buils an F800gs with a shaft drive and comfortable seat.I suppose it was the entry level bike to owning a GS.
I did last month.

Only drove it 500 miles back to Cork and found it similar but different - lighter, nippier, quicker to steer and much better economy.
Dives more, but will fit Hyperpros.

Sargent Seat fitted when I bought it - as has my 1150 - but not as good as 1150 yet as it makes you slide a bit forward. Will see if I can get modified.
Lovely engine so far.

I fitted a larger Screen - a bit better than standard, but have an MRA to add to it, which might make it a bit better.

It will take a bit of getting used to after 10 years of an 1150, but I think it will be fine.

Took the 1150GS to France last week as the 800 was not registered in time.
1150 was faultless and was glad I had it as it was probably more comfortable for what I was doing.

Remainder of VC5 arrived in post today, so will be getting 800 on the road again soon hopefully.

Give me a shout if you want to know more.

I moved to a 800gs from and 1150gs I have changed the seat and pegs and love it. It's more comfortable to me than the 1150 was and is a lot easier to chuck around London on the commute. Thumbs from me!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

At the time I had my F800 GS I still had 2 airheads. I still have the airheads, but not the GS.

Buzzy, vibey, dam uncomfortable (a killer saddle that left me physically bruised) and despite my initial enthusiasm for it, quickly tired of it and chopped it in for a GSA which was IMHO WAYYYY better. Yes it was quicker, livelier and of course much more modern, but the positives didnt really outweigh the niggles. At the end it sat unused, corroding away while I reverted to my RT for which my ass really thanked me.

Its not a bad bike by any means, but horses for courses tho - you may love it, only one way to find out.

At the time I had my F800 GS I still had 2 airheads. I still have the airheads, but not the GS.

Buzzy, vibey, dam uncomfortable (a killer saddle that left me physically bruised) and despite my initial enthusiasm for it, quickly tired of it and chopped it in for a GSA which was IMHO WAYYYY better. Yes it was quicker, livelier and of course much more modern, but the positives didnt really outweigh the niggles. At the end it sat unused, corroding away while I reverted to my RT for which my ass really thanked me.

Its not a bad bike by any means, but horses for courses tho - you may love it, only one way to find out.

Airhawk is a simple low cost way of sorting the nasty seat on the 650 / 700 / 800's.
( the BMW seat is dire mind ) :(
And great if you have more than one bike...

Airhawk is a simple low cost way of sorting the nasty seat on the 650 / 700 / 800's.
( the BMW seat is dire mind ) :(
And great if you have more than one bike...

Didnt work for me (and yes I do know how to use them) - and I tried a couple of aftermarket seats and a sheepie (which was best actually) all of which were returned. I still have the airhawk and the sheepie tho, just in case I get another arse mangler......

Didnt work for me (and yes I do know how to use them) - and I tried a couple of aftermarket seats and a sheepie (which was best actually) all of which were returned. I still have the airhawk and the sheepie tho, just in case I get another arse mangler......

I wonder if the feckers at BMW make such bad seats in the hope you plumb for a BMW comfort seat.
Extracting more if your hard earned.
My mate had the F 800 GT & Hessett is little better than my standard plank.

I think it is not just the problem of a poor seat(it is cheap and the foam is not the right density) but the distance between the seat and footpegs is too short for some tall riders and the angle it puts your pelvis at makes me feel like my hips are about to dislocate.

I think it is not just the problem of a poor seat(it is cheap and the foam is not the right density) but the distance between the seat and footpegs is too short for some tall riders and the angle it puts your pelvis at makes me feel like my hips are about to dislocate.

Airhawk with sheepskin about 45mm & Fast away Evolution footpegs sorted the leg length on my 700.
Hardly any leg bend now... 5ft 9in but pinned leg bones mean I need as much between the seat and footpegs as possible....
2600 miles last week across the UK and Europe & it was the most comfortable I have been on many bikes in a long time...

1150gsa to 800gs

I moved over years ago from 1150 gsa to 800 gs.
Now over 20k on my 800 big screen and a couple of seats later found the Corbin seat is fantastic you can ride all day for a week no problem.
Also fit 1200 hand guards.
The 800 is better in traffic nimble and very economical and great fun.
I have spent a bit on it when you add up full luggage, screen, seat,etc.etc

Back
Top Bottom