Tyre opinions on 1150 ?

Aye, but what if the next (different) tyre he tried surprised him as being even better?

Don't Metzeler make Tourances, not Pirelli?

Pirelli own Metzeler and would have made the decision to outsource to China

I ran Tourance for years but always found they squared off too quickly. My wife tried 'next', excellent wet weather tyre but again squared off quickly. I now use K60s - love them. This year Mikeyboy fitted TKC70s to her F800gs and after 5000 miles round USA there is still loads of tread and not squared off at all. They didn't melt in Death Valley either.

Tourances for 300,000 km. 14 fronts/19 rears - year 'round riding hot and cold
Good tire 90/10
The new Chinese ones seem to wear out quicker (last 2 sets)

I used to run Tourances but cant get them any more (well maybe, but hard to get here in Far North Aus) so I run TKC70.

First set, oh my, there are horrible, the turning was all weird and fast and scary, but then I got used to them, maybe ran them in, maybe the off-coming tires were square.

Anyway, on my second set now, have done about 7000km in three weeks, lots of high speed high time riding, straight line across australia (south to north) and they havent worn as much as the Tourances would have done, still corner great.

I did also do some dry gravel road and good speed and they were better than the Tourances.

TKC70 fit what I do at the moment.

I put TKC 70s on my 1150 at the end of the summer (the week before the UKGSer into the West weekend). I've only done about 1,000km on them because I've been away a lot, but so far I like them. They feel more planted than the Tourances I had on before them. The first day I rode with them it was pouring rain and the tyres felt nice and sticky, even on shiny tarmac. I do a bit of green-laning and light off-roading. If I didn't, I'd be looking at sports touring tyres. They don't look the best on an adventure bike, but they will provide the best grip on tarmac.

On my second set of PR4s. Two trips to Italy and I reckon I'll get out to spring with this second set. The rear has worn well, without losing too much shape which I guess is down to the dual compound.

I'll probably get a third set, but the Anakee 2s I had in the beginning were also good and 'looked the part' even if they are a road tyre in disguise.

If you're never off-road, I'd contemplate a straight road tyre...

I had a set of anakee 2's on mine before I sold it Luke. Found them much better than tourances.

Has anyone tried PR4 Trails? I had a set of PR3s on a TDM850 but found them to move/squirm too much because of the sipes and junked them for PR2s which felt much more stable. Obviously I'm thinking PR4 Trails might be similar to the PR3.

My riding is 100% road, the bike, naturally, is an 1150GSA. Current tyres are Dunlop Roadsmart 3 and they've been excellent but I fancy a change. Generally speaking I prefer a stable tyre with a predictable turn in speed - anything that just drops into a corner is very likely to unnerve me.

The other leading choice is Conti Trail Attack 2/Road Attack 2 but I'm concerned about their wet grip and longevity.

As above, 2 pairs of TKC70 with a pair of Anakee 3 in-between, prefer Anakee 2 but now hard to get I think. The TKC70 suits what I do and I'll be fitting another pair for a trip to Greece and Albania in August...kinda tempted by the Avon Trailrider as well, have a set on my CCM SM and have been impressed by both mileage and grip ( previous Super Corsa only managed 1600mls on the rear :blast ) but the Trailrider has passed that and still plenty wear left.

Has anyone tried PR4 Trails? I had a set of PR3s on a TDM850 but found them to move/squirm too much because of the sipes and junked them for PR2s which felt much more stable. Obviously I'm thinking PR4 Trails might be similar to the PR3.

My riding is 100% road, the bike, naturally, is an 1150GSA. Current tyres are Dunlop Roadsmart 3 and they've been excellent but I fancy a change. Generally speaking I prefer a stable tyre with a predictable turn in speed - anything that just drops into a corner is very likely to unnerve me.

The other leading choice is Conti Trail Attack 2/Road Attack 2 but I'm concerned about their wet grip and longevity.

PR4s are excellent. Had two seasons with them and planned to just get another pair. But recently when i came to change i came out with a set of Conti Trail attack 2s. I didn't expect to notice much difference, but i did, a lot! The Contis are incredibly stable, much more so than the PR4s. They will stick long after my confidence has run out. I have only had a couple of wet days out with them, but nothing changed. Stable and not the slightest change in grip.

This is also on a 1150 GSA. Can't speak for mileage yet, which i thought was very good on the PR4s. But heading off to Italy in a couple of weeks for the summer run. I should get an indication of how they are when i get back.... Reports are good, though with so much grip I can't imagine they'll outlast the PR4s?

Anyone know why Michelin are the only manufacturer to use sipes? Can't help but wonder if sipes make such a difference then why are not more manufacturers using them.

Possibly I guess but I thought sipes had been around for years (certainly on car tyres anyway). ISTBC.

I've plumped for Trail Attack 2. Was going to go for the TKC70 but the closest my bike gets to off road is riding across the grass at the back of my flat.

Possibly I guess but I thought sipes had been around for years (certainly on car tyres anyway). ISTBC.

I've plumped for Trail Attack 2. Was going to go for the TKC70 but the closest my bike gets to off road is riding across the grass at the back of my flat.
I'm interested in your feedback on the Trail Attacks. It took me a couple hundred miles to get used to them. But now I really like them. As said, definitely a much more stable feel than the PR4sespecially at speed and they seem to have way more grip, but that could just be in my head I guess!

I'm interested in your feedback on the Trail Attacks. It took me a couple hundred miles to get used to them. But now I really like them. As said, definitely a much more stable feel than the PR4sespecially at speed and they seem to have way more grip, but that could just be in my head I guess!

:thumb2 I had no complaints about the Dunlop Roadsmart 3s but can't help looking to see if there's something better. Got about 9,000 miles out of them and they're now ready for junking - the rear is down to the wear markers with the centre tread being non-existent, the front is stepped on the tread blocks so it makes for interesting handling now.

I suspect, from investigation ( google translating some of the German tests etc etc ) .....the only sport touring tyre that shows any prospect of being better than the excellent Roadsmart 3 is the Metzeler Roadtec 01.

My dealer is swapping my Continental Trail attack 2 next week.
I can't wait to try the Metzeler

(PS Beancounter , thats an extraordinery mileage , I'd be happy if a pair make 5000)

I suspect, from investigation ( google translating some of the German tests etc etc ) .....the only sport touring tyre that shows any prospect of being better than the excellent Roadsmart 3 is the Metzeler Roadtec 01.

My dealer is swapping my Continental Trail attack 2 next week.
I can't wait to try the Metzeler

(PS Beancounter , thats an extraordinery mileage , I'd be happy if a pair make 5000)
I got nearly 10k out of my rear PR4 . Two 3k+ each trips to Italy plus the home trips in between. Good tyres. You can't go wrong with them. But when it came to a new set, I was tempted to try something different...so far so good.

Back
Top Bottom