Journey planning for computer simpletons... Best way?

Duraace

Reaction score
Watched several hours worth of you tube videos on basecamp and been playing with it all week. I've decided it's just too in depth for me, many features I don't need nor can fully use correctly. I used to think I was quite good with computers, perhaps not as the years advance!

What I want is.....
Something I can enter a start and finish address into then pull the route between those two points to roads I want to use. Save the journey under a name of my choice and then export in gpx format to a Nav 5.

I have windows Pc and Android phones/tablets, if that has any relevance.

Happy to pay for a good reliable program if req'd.

What do you recommend?

I have only just been shown ho to do route planning on the computer using Basecamp. I previously used Mapsource and it all seemed a lot more intuitive. However, having been shown by someone who was patient enough to read the instructions, I have to say it all seems to work well. It clearly has loads more functionality that Mapsource, most of which I'll never use, but I have managed to plan a load of routes for this year's trips into Europe.

It's the issue of having to create the waypoints first before you set the route, then use the arrow to drag the route to where you want it using "shaping points." But it does work, honest. (But see my separate post for an irritating niggle...)

So, stick with it and it will all make sense.

Oohh now that's got potential.

I aren't slagging basecamp as I can see it's very powerful and capable software. Overkill for me though. I can't be doing with all the terminology, way points, shaping points, adventures, trips, collections, routes, tracks - I keep forgetting which is which. I just want start, finish point, click and drag for the road that's it. No way points and complications etc etc.

Oohh now that's got potential.

I aren't slagging basecamp as I can see it's very powerful and capable software. Overkill for me though. I can't be doing with all the terminology, way points, shaping points, adventures, trips, collections, routes, tracks - I keep forgetting which is which. I just want start, finish point, click and drag for the road that's it. No way points and complications etc etc.

I found that too, Basecamp does a lot of stuff I don't need and makes simply stuff more complicated than it need be. I just carry on with Mapsource, it does what you have asked for. You can start your route by letting it create a route using start and end points. Then you can drag and drop the route to where you want it. Each time you drag and drop it automatically adds an unannounced via point to the route. Do that all along the route and you are good to go.

John

Back
Top Bottom