Fork Stanchion recall?

Estimated 3 Hours work for every bike. That's a hell of a lot of wasted BMW Paid Man Hours.

Plus an extra 1 hour (at least) of customer inconvenience getting their bike back and forth from the dealers.

How many bikes were affected by this again? :blast

To many negative waves man - chill, it will be all right in the end, there is no panic :)

Estimated 3 Hours work for every bike. That's a hell of a lot of wasted BMW Paid Man Hours.

Plus an extra 1 hour (at least) of customer inconvenience getting their bike back and forth from the dealers.

How many bikes were affected by this again? :blast

Hardly wasted man hours if it prevents one person being hurt or killed and prevents a huge and costly lawsuit as it is a recognised fault.

Think it will prove infinitely cheaper than the eventual costs of 'The Great and Glorious R1200RT Rear Shock Debacle of 2014'

Fukit, if it ain't got a gap then don't worry. It will get the collars in due time as and when it is available.

Think about it. The RT has got exactly the same setup on the front and there isn't a recall for that model.

Fukit, if it ain't got a gap then don't worry. It will get the collars in due time as and when it is available.

Think about it. The RT has got exactly the same setup on the front and there isn't a recall for that model.

Makes sense...........

But meantime - we want every single owner to post on here:

Whenever BMW or the dealer contact them
When the bike is booked in
What the dealer told you (and what the mechanic whispered)
When the remedial work is done
Whether you feel safer, or not.

Al

Just got my letter in the post.
Called Pidocks and no stock so told to call back at 2 week intervals.

I think we are about to get another 38 pages of "I've got my letter today" as it would appear that most people are now starting to receive them.

This what my dealer (Bowkers, Preston) told me, a pair of sleeves have been ordered against my name, when they arrive in stock they will contact me and book me in to have them fitted.

I got my letter today :D

I'm worried because we are to go on holiday before the collars are available. Lets hope the bike doesn't fall apart in the Alps.

Did Stevie Wonder do it?

Saw this on FB, newly delivered GSA TB bike with crimping done at factory, bloke isn't too happy:blast

Attachments

• gsa forks 20638365_1735966023364250_3340768799574982021_n.jpg
    gsa forks 20638365_1735966023364250_3340768799574982021_n.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 645
Saw a new GS Rallye arrive at a dealers a week or two back and it was delivered from BMW UK with the crimped collars already fitted (definitely didn't look like that utter f*ck up of a job)

My letter arrived yesterday, the fork tubes were replaced and sleeves fitted 2 weeks ago,
Being curious before it was done, and having a 0.33 mm gap one side, i atatched a small slide hammer to see if the top would move or pull out,
No matter how hard i tried the top wasn't moving, so don't worry they are in solid even with the gap,,, the slight flaring on the tube i mentioned earlier did allow a slight rocking and oil weep,
I can't see normal road riding being an issue in the short term while they fit the reinforcing sleeves,

What I can't understand is, if my September 2013 model with these small crimps is deemed to be outside the recall and therefore must be considered satisfactory, why change this method of crimping at all ?

I think we are about to get another 38 pages of "I've got my letter today" as it would appear that most people are now starting to receive them.

This what my dealer (Bowkers, Preston) told me, a pair of sleeves have been ordered against my name, when they arrive in stock they will contact me and book me in to have them fitted.

That sounds much more professional than my dealers response.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A unsafe vehicle letter arrived today from BMW, it says take it to the dealers to have the fork checked, rang the dealers i use was told there is a parts shortage and they are doing the ones they have sold first, was told i may receive a letter from the dealer i bought it from, :nenau

Bless the poor poppet - needs a chill pill.

Not sure what the grounds are for rejecting the bike though?

Maybe because that crimp looks like it was done using a hammer and chisel. It looks that deep and rough I can't see how it has not compromised the integrity of the tubes.

I'm off to Spain on Saturday for 2000mile round trip. Got my recall letter today. Very much doubt that I'll a. Have time to get this done and b. will manage to get a booking in with my local dealer in time. Should I be worried about going without this being done beforehand?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom