Low Oil Level Nuisance Warning Solved

Pukmeister

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
My 2008 GSA MU has had an annoying low sump oil level alarm for years and I mistakenly presumed it wasn't the level float sensor: The loom wiring connector for the sensor was corroded but the sensor seemed to be closed circuit on low level and open circuit on normal level..... (or so I thought). I presumed it was a make or break circuit but it looks like the ECU expects to see a certain resistance value from the sump float level sensor when correct.

On my daily ride to work, if I stopped at traffic lights with a hot running engine, the oil can and wavy line would pop up annoyingly, as if I had a low sump oil level. I mistakenly shorted out the two wires to the sensor, thinking a closed circuit would mean the oil level would be correct (which it isn't). It isn't going to work as an open circuit as that would not be failsafe by design in the event of a bad connection or wiring break.

Today I pulled the sensor and noted it measured about 48 ohms low and 95 ohms high, slowly falling to 55 ohms. This suggests a faulty sensor if the high and low float level resistances are so close.

I dug out some old resistors and put a 9 KOhm resistor across the wiring loom end instead of the sensor and now I finally get OIL OK after a run rather than the typical - - - - in the display. This puts my mind to rest that it isn't the very expensive BMSK-P engine management ECU. I had already belled out the wiring loom on the bike and proved it, the main worry was if the ecu had an internal fault.

I shall look for a new sump level float and wiring connector and put it right in slow time (maybe from motor works or sherlocks), in the meantime I am glad I have got ride of the nagging icon and hope this helps anyone else out with the same issues.

Great work around for an annoying problem. My identical bike does exactly the same at lights.

Got a new (used) oil level sensor on the way from motorworks for £40 complete with the male/female connector and a piece of main loom attached to repair mine. Result.

Mine did it for a while some years ago, but after cleaning the connector it's been fine ever since.

Was this you ?

f958d2db48756bf35b3c1da5bedc3e57.png

Back
Top Bottom