Ignition switch issue 1200 hexhead

Fatboydel

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Having a problem with the ignition switch on my 2011 1200 Hex head. When I put the key in and turn it, nothing happens, I do it two or three times and eventually it all comes on, pre start check and fires up fine.

Don’t want to turn it off when I am out now, in case it doesn’t come on at all.

Any suggestions? Battery seems fine and spins over ok when it actually works.

If wiggling the wires around the headstock area makes no difference then more than likely, part number, 61 31 8 543 110 IGNITION SWITCH. This is held on by two screw at the bottom of the key barrel.
You may be able to clean out the old one to make it work again, it contains micro switches.
Looks like it could be opened up??
61318543110_3_B.jpg

Indeed it can.

The early version appeared not to be sealed / glued or potted.

The microswitches fill wth gunk and crap and either get stuck open - No ignition or Stuck closed - Ignition always on!

The new varient is heat staked and has potting on the microswitches.

If you break it open and manage to clean it , You may need a cable tie / glue to keep the cover back on

For the relatively low cost and peace of mind, I would just replace the switch contact unit with a brand new one.

I had this problem earlier in the year. Sprayed with ACF50 and it temporarily improved. Main symptom was delayed coming to life when key turned on. Eventually the bike cut out for a second while on the motorway. Came back to life but I replaced the igntion switch 61318543110 and problem solved. WIth benefit of hindsight I would not live with it until it cut out on the motorway!

Back
Top Bottom