What system is the best?

scots_rider

Without going into long winded debates.
What nav system is acctually the best, reliable, coverage etc?

Been looking at nav systems now for a while....
Still can't make my mind up to which one is best suited for Europe & The UK?

Feedback and thouts would be great... Or how about a poll. :cool:

scots_rider said:
which one is best suited for Europe & The UK?
Touring Europe with your Tomtom Rider are we Sir, you need extra mapping, walk this way… France (alone) is £87 all of Europe is £169

That’s what makes buying a GPS such a mine field… :(

Gamin gets my vote :thumb

Joy Riding? Garmin

Commuting/Destination? TomTom

Can't stand technology? A-Z.

;)

scots_rider said:
Without going into long winded debates.
What nav system is acctually the best, reliable, coverage etc?
Sorry but there is no absolute answer. :confused:

For those who wants to ride on nice small roads and uses the bike mostly for pleasure should look at the Garmin 276C or other Garmin models.

For those who use the navigator as a Taxi driver does, to find the shortest way to a specific destination, should look at TomTom Rider or Garmin 2720.

In general the Garmins are more flexible, can do more things, and are therefore the obvious choise for the advanced user. But out there you can find plenty of less advanced users who are indeed very happy with their TomToms.

There are also other issues as map coverage, price, ease-of-use, size, internal power, etc, etc that need to be considered so sorry - there is not one brand nor model that is the best. :nenau

Price

Well that is a rip off...big time.

Can get you complete Uk and Europe mapping (TomTom Rider) for €149.99 . Thats about £100. :thumb

Just priced it this afternoon.

Macca.

ebbo said:
Touring Europe with your Tomtom Rider are we Sir, you need extra mapping, walk this way… France (alone) is £87 all of Europe is £169

I am referring to this....sorry missed it out on above thread...Duhhh

Macca

ebbo said:

Where are you buying from ??? The Tom Tom website gives all of Europe (download) for 119 Euro (about £81) or on CD for 149 Euro (about £102).

But you do also have to pay extra for real time traffic news in Europe, 30 Euros (about £20) for a years subscription in France, 80 Euros (about £55) for the whole of Europe.

HMR said:
But out there you can find plenty of less advanced users who are indeed very happy with their TomToms.
:nenau

As well as the odd user that has used their Garmin 12 XL for many a mile, many a year, and many a continent, who is also very happy with their TomTom Rider.

HMR said:
S
In general the Garmins are more flexible, can do more things, and are therefore the obvious choise for the advanced user. :nenau

Agreed. Owning both TomTom and Garmin units, I have to say that I have to use a lot more advanced skills to get to my destination when using the Garmin.

Backmarker said:
Where are you buying from ??? The Tom Tom website gives all of Europe (download) for 119 Euro (about £81) or on CD for 149 Euro (about £102).

But you do also have to pay extra for real time traffic news in Europe, 30 Euros (about £20) for a years subscription in France, 80 Euros (about £55) for the whole of Europe.
Your quite correct maps on CD € 149 http://www.tomtom.com/products/accessory.php?ID=171&Product=146&Category=&Context=1&Language=1

I was looking at individual cards; Western Europe on memory card (SD card) € 249,- 249.00 EUR = 170. GBP http://www.tomtom.com/products/accessory.php?ID=168&Product=146&Category=&Context=1&Language=1

One way or another you will still have to spend more money on maps… :(

Backmarker said:
Agreed. Owning both TomTom and Garmin units, I have to say that I have to use a lot more advanced skills to get to my destination when using the Garmin.

You beat me to it ;)

The Rider can be as advanced as you want it to be - most people who say they aren't advanced either haven't owned one, or haven't done enough research on the customisations you can indeed make if you actually want to.

Keba said:
You beat me to it ;)

The Rider can be as advanced as you want it to be - most people who say they aren't advanced either haven't owned one, or haven't done enough research on the customisations you can indeed make if you actually want to.

The more I read the harder it gets to make me mind up!!! :nenau

I was convinced Garmin (Quest or 2610) was the best for my needs...but now :confused:

Just want one unit that will guide me well around Europe...Not going to use it for commuting in the UK!!!Am going around Europe, 4 months, taking a laptop with me...that's all!!!! :clap

fcasado said:
The more I read the harder it gets to make me mind up!!! :nenau

I was convinced Garmin (Quest or 2610) was the best for my needs...but now :confused:

Just want one unit that will guide me well around Europe...Not going to use it for commuting in the UK!!!Am going around Europe, 4 months, taking a laptop with me...that's all!!!! :clap
Well, if your taking a laptop, I’d buy the 276c and auto kit (again!)
Benefits:- larger screen, daylight viewable, battery can last all day, 12v power from the bike if you want or charge up on an evening. You can use the laptop to create your routes and transfer them to the 276c, ideal!

Back
Top Bottom