gear display problem

Steve V

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
The other morning I left my bike ticking over as usual while I closed the garage door. When I returned to the bike the engine wasnt running and the digital gear display read 2 as though it was in 2nd gear. The engine would not start till I turned the ignition off then back on, then it started off the button.
The neutral light flickered a few times then as I was riding to work I lost all gear reading from the digital display, it would occasionally return then dissapear.
On the way home everything seemed fine, I was wondering if anyone had experienced anything similar, and what the remedy was.

Cheers
Steve

There have been a few threads about this (including 1 that I started!!)

do a search through to get a feal for the information

I have just had the gear indicator at the rear of the gearbox replaced through warrenty (this week). Some people suggest giving it a spray with WD40 or something as water can sometimes be the cause, I tried that but it did not help.

Get it down the dealers, and get it sorted !!!!! :nono

I 've had exactly the same problem.
The bike was fixed by BMW prestige, it's a faulty gear sensor in the gearbox.

Apparently, it does not prevent the bike from running, but still should be fixed.

This is apparently a common problem.

Should'nt BMW have a proper recall for this ?

Just got mine back from the dealer today. 6K service but also to fix this problem. According to service manager it was caused by a loose connector. He removed it cleaned it and reonnected it and it is working ok so far.

Back
Top Bottom