HEL Braided Hoses (warning)

Wolfman

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I believe after speaking to HEL that I have to send the original hoses to them to produce a set for me, as BMW altered the length of hoses throughout the life of the series

Has anyone else found this?:eek:

Thanks

Gary

Yes, if you are replacing the hoses you have to take the old ones off, It took three days to get my hoses from payment to delivery.

Yes, my old ones went away with the various parts of the front set taped together to represent what I required as I had removed the servo/ABS. A detailed description of the length for the new rear plus the old hose to show the connections.

I just bought some from HEL for my old R1100S - the first set that came from their pattern book were significantly wrong. Wrong fittings, wrong lengths and a banjo out of alignment for the O/S front brake. They look lovely, they're are a good price and they're delivered very quickly (goodrich quoted 10 days, HEL are next day). As others say, my advice would be to send them your pipes to copy and they'll do a good job.

a banjo out of alignment for the O/S front brake.

With all Hel lines, if you put a towel or something around the end clampy bit, squeeze gently with a set of pliers, then with a screw driver through the open end bit... you can rotate the end to any direction you want:clap

With all Hel lines, if you put a towel or something around the end clampy bit, squeeze gently with a set of pliers, then with a screw driver through the open end bit... you can rotate the end to any direction you want:clap

:thumb2 (DAMHIK :blast).

What I don't get though is surely they keep a pattern of all lines they make up so why are they asking for lines to be sent with the order, they must have done a few GS's by now :nenau

Anyways, I always use HEL but just tell them the lengths and fittings I need, I've never yet told them what the bike was :)

Andres

:thumb2 (DAMHIK :blast).

What I don't get though is surely they keep a pattern of all lines they make up so why are they asking for lines to be sent with the order, they must have done a few GS's by now :nenau

If you remember i used to sell HEL brake line kits for rock bottom prices on ukgser. They even had my name on their bmw GS parts list list as "Harrison spec bmw lines" because i'd sent them different sets of hoses for them to copy :D

BMW changed their lines ever so subtly from model to model, and then you've got ABS and non ABS fittings, even on the same year and spec of bike, not by much but enough for me to keep having to send kits back that people bought off me because they didn't fit.
Thats why i stopped selling them, nothing wrong with HEL parts, i just got fed up with having to explain to people that's it wasn't my fault.

Its because they have gotten it wrong so many times with lengths and fixings. BMW owners often add risers, alter the front setup, through out the servo... replumb lines etc etc. So instead of getting their lines returned they simply ask people to send in their old lines. If anyone needs and assistance just give me a shout!

A good tip is to always ask for the top hose to be 75mm - 100mm longer.

I had my servo taken out and decided to get new HEL hoses.
I measured the lengths using some wire and measured the banjo angles.

On the front, needed only two hoses, one from the master cylinder, and the other straight over the mudguard.

Well I want to replace my 15 year old braided rear hose ('94 1100 ABS) because after years of rear wheel removal it's started to kink slightly where the caliper banjo joins the hose. While I'm at it I'll probably replace the front upper hose too for one 75mm longer (I have bar risers and while it's ok, a bit longer would be good).

However I don't want to render my bike unusable by having to remove hoses to send away.

Are there any other recommended suppliers who can just supply one from measurements?

I measured the lengths using some wire and measured the banjo angles.

Just measure what you want - then ring them. they will appear on your doorstep 2 days later.

simples.

Got my HEL lines back today after having a couple of the fittings changed. Fitted them, bled them, just going to test ride when 'pop', the connection to the handlebar reservoir just burst

brakeline2.jpg

brakeline3.jpg

brakeline4.jpg

These were made up in the Irish franchise. Fecking good job I wasn't riding it! Make sure the lines are made up correctly first time eh :rolleyes: I'm sure they'll sort it out but I think I'm going to carry an anchor for a while just in case:thumb2

Update - they told me the lines were all new,not repaired and that they are pressure tested before they're sent. It's never happened before and I'm sure they're telling the truth as you can't mess about with brakes! My life's fan just seems to be an absolute s*it magnet at the moment!

Got my HEL lines back today after having a couple of the fittings changed. Fitted them, bled them, just going to test ride when 'pop', the connection to the handlebar reservoir just burst

Nice.
Not :eek

Perhaps I'll get my brake lines elsewhere...

These were made up in the Irish franchise. Fecking good job I wasn't riding it! Make sure the lines are made up correctly first time eh :rolleyes: I'm sure they'll sort it out but I think I'm going to carry an anchor for a while just in case:thumb2

Update - they told me the lines were all new,not repaired and that they are pressure tested before they're sent. It's never happened before and I'm sure they're telling the truth as you can't mess about with brakes! My life's fan just seems to be an absolute s*it magnet at the moment!

A very similar thing happened to me with hel lines on a track day on the R1, it burst where the fitting had been crimped on , not happy at all with it being on the front brake and made hell of a mess on the plastic , so changed them to goodridge didnt trust hels after that :thumb2

Back
Top Bottom