2003 1150gsa starting issues + a couple more!

Spudoofer

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm a new boy to this, a complete spudoofer if you like, so any advice most welcome! I've got a 2003 1150 gsa 62000 on the clock, bought it to fuel desire to ride a gs, it is a bit tatty to say the least but it goes, when I can get it started !
Had it for less than a year and have just started going out on it really. Gave it an oil and filter change and have had intermittent starting issues with it and put new battery on it last week, as I thought that could be part of the problem. Since discovered, that isn't the issue. I've noticed the following;
Battery is new and charged up and just about fires the engine, laboured starting as if not enough power to turn the engine.Too many attempts (more than 3 will drain the battery) so have to jump start. Done voltage check all good with the battery.
When revving engine, lights get brighter so alternator appears ok and charges battery.
Just back from a short trip through Wales (nightmare, mountains, no phone signal!) After riding a good few hours turned off the engine then had nothing, overheating maybe, sticky starter?? Had to bump start it, luckily was on the right side of a mountain!
Does it need a new starter and is there any fault finding I can do to suss this out?

Next issues!
Gear indicator hit and miss, often doesn't show correct gear.
Neutral light often doesn't light up when riding or stationary when in neutral.

Have fuel pump initiator noise when switching kill over to start, but I've now noticed what I think is fuel pump noise when engine is running. Could be I haven't noticed it before or it is now louder for some reason? Fuel pump ??
So that's about it until the next thing goes wrong.
Any help most appreciated
Cheers all

Check in here Oilhead section for Starter strip

Sounds like your Magnets have maybe come unstuck or the Grease plate has worked loose and fell on the armature

Starter Strip sounds like a good place to start

Actually Paying the £12 subs for the year is a great place to start you get access to all areas an you can send and receive messages

I agree with the Doc.

But most likely the grease plate adrift shorting your battery across the starter motor windings. I’m familiar with the symptoms as It’s happened to me.

The Neutral and gear indication is all one switch on your bike and located on a shaft at the back of the gear box. Depending on your skill level you could try removing it disassembling cleaning and reassembly. Or Failing that just replace it.

Ian

I had exactly the same 3 weeks ago. A £52 starter motor of Ebay sorted it. I took the old starter apart and it was well past it's use by date. I now have 2 batteries , I thought it was the battery but hey, these guys put me straight and the starter it was.

I know my way around bikes but a forum is bike specific and well worth the £12 I paid

Thanks

Thanks for your advice lads, much appreciated. Doc, think I'll maybe just get myself a new starter and fit that, and see how that goes, if I start taking things apart I'll probably have bits left over. Probably need a bit more info Ian on how to sort that gear indicator issue but I've just subscribed now as I'm guessing I'll be needing more help in the future with this two wheeled teutonic bundle of joy. I'll update as to how I get on.
Again many thanks, cheers
Jim

It sounds like dismantling cleaning and reassembling the gear / neutral switch might be outside your comfort zone. The task is fiddly and the unit contains small springs. So it’s a task for the work bench at the very least.

So as you would have to Completely remove the item from the bike To strip and clean, it’s Probably best to Just buy a replacement.

Anyway, the part number is 23142333154.

Just google it and it should take you to various suppliers. Motorworks, EBay, James Sherlock, Moto bins. Etc.

Ian

These are pretty good value and well made starters

https://hc-cargo.co.uk/catalog/p/111335--starter most motor factors can get you these at about £80 ish :rob

Price may have gone up Watch the locating pin when you remove the old starter put it back on the bike

You can change the Neutral switch in situ

If you have a pair of long handled cranked nose plyers

its pretty much plug and play The loom connector is at the left of the rear of the alternator by the diagonal frame rail

If you go to it from below?

Tie the centre stand forward to the wheel to prevent you bumping it and knocking forward for some reason

Basically its unclip the circlip with the long nose plyers and pull back and a little "help" by a pry bar to start it moving is good but not brut force you don't want to bend the end of the shaft

Align the D shape of the new one as per the one that comes out and a coat of Rubber grease (Or black Waxoyl) in and around the mating faces (Stops water ingress!)

Click the new switch in and route the cable and jobs a good un

N.B. Torque the rear wheel bolts to 105NM Don't give them a good squeak on the pull bar ~~

They need to be tightened correctly The number of times I have heard of rear wheel bolts coming loose is crazy and the same reason every time "I thought they would be tight enough that way!"

Align the D shape of the new one as per the one that comes out and a coat of Rubber grease (Or black Waxoyl) in and around the mating faces (Stops water ingress!)

Click the new switch in and route the cable and jobs a good un

Use a cable tie to hold together the locking arms when locating the new switch. When it's located cut the cable tie... :D

That way you only need one hand to fit it in place, instead of trying to fit it, locate it and hold the ends of the locking arms all at the same time in the confined space. .

I'd be willing to give it a go if I had workshop space and tools for the job, definitely not the task to be attempting on the driveway with a leatherman:D Thanks for all the info Ian, Doc and Steptoe real help, much appreciated. Time for a bit of research and shopping, then find somewhere to do the work, will cost me beers but I have a few ideas :thumb2
Ps Steptoe, my old army mate Nick at ABE in Greenwich, did tell me to seek you out on here for advice, but you found me, cool. He said you can be quite rude and forthright on occasion, but then again so is he! :D
Thanks for the info
Jim

Back
Top Bottom