2015 R1200RS

younger06

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm thinking of downsizing my Honda Crosstourers......I think the height & weight have finally got the better of my back.

I'm looking at a 2015 R1200RS in the Lupen blue colour scheme.

This particular bike has a full Akrapovic system.....is this something that might be problematic??

And just looking for thoughts and opinions on the model in general (particularly that model year)

Cheers in advance.

Sent with a Zen10

This particular bike has a full Akrapovic system.....is this something that might be problematic??

Shouldn’t cause you any issues, especially if ECU had been mapped. But in most instances, ECU would’ve self learned about the modification.

I’ve ran now full system on my KTM since March 2020. No flashing in of the ECU was needed, as confirmed by the dealer.

Traveling abroad:
So long that you do not encounter a Copper with a noise listening device in Germany or Austria, then you should be fine. Ideally you want to be carrying TÜV approval certificates for the non OEM parts when touring in Germany, they are quite hot on stuff like that over there, especially if you really draw attention to yourself.

Full systems aren’t allowed on public roads AFAIK, so places such as Germany and Austria will likely to seize the bike and slap you with the hefty non compliance fine.

Shouldn’t cause you any issues, especially if ECU had been mapped. But in most instances, ECU would’ve self learned about the modification.

I’ve ran now full system on my KTM since March 2020. No flashing in of the ECU was needed, as confirmed by the dealer.

Traveling abroad:
So long that you do not encounter a Copper with a noise listening device in Germany or Austria, then you should be fine. Ideally you want to be carrying TÜV approval certificates for the non OEM parts when touring in Germany, they are quite hot on stuff like that over there, especially if you really draw attention to yourself.

Full systems aren’t allowed on public roads AFAIK, so places such as Germany and Austria will likely to seize the bike and slap you with the hefty non compliance fine.
I've done a couple of European trips with a full Remus on my Hexhead(s) and never ran into trouble.

That was 7, 6 and 5 years ago......and I'm aware things change.

Euro trips will be few and far between these days for me.

Owner has original exhaust aswell.

Sent with a Zen10

That’s a bonus then.
Sounds like he thought about what he was doing.
I forgot to ask the question as to what was done with the Budgie (flap) servo......and if it's throwing a fault light or not.

Sent with a Zen10

I forgot to ask the question as to what was done with the Budgie (flap) servo......and if it's throwing a fault light or not.

Sent with a Zen10
I wouldn’t know anything about it. But likely a bypass plug was installed, to tell the bike that the flap is still “present” and plugged in.
If owner has the original exhaust, then hopefully he has the flap mechanism too.

I wouldn’t know anything about it. But likely a bypass plug was installed, to tell the bike that the flap is still “present” and plugged in.
If owner has the original exhaust, then hopefully he has the flap mechanism too.
Hopefully......

Just need to get rid of my Crosstourer now

Sent with a Zen10

Not the best time of year to do so… but fingers crossed it’ll find a new owner soon.

An Akro was an official accessory in 2015 so ask the seller if they have the initial invoice or other document showing the bike as delivered. If it is the official accessory then it will be fully CE/EU compliant and have had any ECU adjustments required.

I own a 2016 R1200RS in lupin blue. There isn't anything specific about the bike to worry about. Any problems have been universal to all boxers such as the current service bulletins for circlips on the footpegs and the shaft inspection/venting.

The colour of the forks dictates what suspension is fitted. Silver forks are manual, gold has the ESA. After 7 years of riding a boxer with conventional forks I now find the GS Telever bikes feel a bit vague.

I ran a Triumph Explorer alongside the RS for a while. The Explorer went after a year. I then ran a S1000XR alongside. I sold the XR this year. The RS is the keeper now I have retired and downsized. The RS is not the lightest bike but the low centre of gravity makes it much easier to move about the drive and it has oodles of torque for the nadgery roads I tend to ride in Wales and abroad.

Lots of specific model info at https://www.r1200rsforum.com/ - sadly some sort of problem creating new accounts at the moment. The sole admin has been absent for a while.

I’ve had an RS as a loan bike whilst my GSA was in for a service. I enjoyed it, but it was a bit cramped for my long legs.

IMG_1602.jpeg

I’ve had an RS as a loan bike whilst my GSA was in for a service. I enjoyed it, but it was a bit cramped for my long legs.

View attachment 298500

BMW makes seats in 3 depths and peg lowering kits are available

I know several lanky fuckers who like them.

I have fitted MV Motorrad peg lowers and use a standard seat due to wonky knees. I have raised the bars 25mm which aids comfort as well. You have enough of a crouch to cruise on the autobahn at 100mph but not so much weight on your wrists when it gets twisty.

You'll love the RS. Feels very different to ride than a GS. Comfort is definitely improved with bar risers (I have the Heli bar risers) and you can fit the Wunderlich Aktiv comfort seat which comes in a tall version for those of a stretched nature which will help the leg room. I have a 31 inch inseam and find the sport (high) seat spot on for me. I have the Aktiv seat too but on balance prefer the standard seat now so swapped back to it. ESA suspension modes were crude until the 1250 came out when dynamic ESA was improved, so a 1200 2015 bike will probably feel best just left in dynamic mode. The road setting is just too choppy and bottoms out too easily. In dynamic, the bike feels far more planted and handles beautifully at higher speeds but is a little more compromised at slow speeds where tyre choice can make quite a difference to turn in. I use Metzler Sportech SEs on my 2018 1200 and they're great, although the front starts squaring off at 3K miles.

Compared with the Cross Tourer, it's far more manageable and feels sportier. It'll take a while getting used to an engine that clatters as if its about to explode like a blacksmiths forge on overtime though. It's a surprisingly rapid bike when asked to fire out of the corners. Loads of low and mid range grunt. Three of my last boxers have included the RS, a GSA and an RT. The GSA and RT offered more comfort, and felt better at slow speed manoeuvring but the RS has adequate all day comfort when sorted and handles very nicely. It definitely feels more sporty too. Great bikes but can be a bit marmite amongst us boxer riders as some can't get on with the RS. I'd advise a good long test ride on one.

I’m another long time owner of an early 2015 bike. Blue of course. 45K on clock.

”Only” 5’8” in my boots, but using the highest Sport seat, lower MV pegs and standard bars.

With my cut down screen and a Cool Cover seat cover my bike is all day comfortable.

Custom non-ESA Maxton suspension fitted at 10K. Excellent mod. Solo riding only.

Far less wind noise than standard screen and wind on my torso lifts all the weight off my wrists at highway speeds. It’s a bit more Chimp In A Hurricane on my annual Autobhan jaunts though :)

I love the bike. Self servicing all the basics. It’s easy.

Have no intention to upgrade to newer bike. No good reasons.

ps - a change from OEM top box to a 46L cuboid GIVI last year was one of the best moves I made. Should’ve done it sooner.

I’m another long time owner of an early 2015 bike. Blue of course. 45K on clock.

”Only” 5’8” in my boots, but using the highest Sport seat, lower MV pegs and standard bars.

With my cut down screen and a Cool Cover seat cover my bike is all day comfortable.

Custom non-ESA Maxton suspension fitted at 10K. Excellent mod. Solo riding only.

Far less wind noise than standard screen and wind on my torso lifts all the weight off my wrists at highway speeds. It’s a bit more Chimp In A Hurricane on my annual Autobhan jaunts though :)

I love the bike. Self servicing all the basics. It’s easy.

Have no intention to upgrade to newer bike. No good reasons.

ps - a change from OEM top box to a 46L cuboid GIVI last year was one of the best moves I made. Should’ve done it sooner.
I have a Givi Outback Trekker (the big square metal one) on its 3rd bike now......and hopefully on its 4th in the next few weeks.

Sent with a Zen10

My1200R came with a trekker, did a swap + cash deal for the GIVI 46 box in a services car park, probably looked like a dodgy drug deal!!

Al.

I use the Shad SH47 which just about takes two full face lids. Nicely made top box that suits the RS.

Back
Top Bottom