26+6=1. Or 2, depending. Alternatively: In search of a Hufflepuff.

After a journey that was more eventful than it might have been due to range anxiety on the Himmy we are at the ferry.

1000086672.jpg


FWIW the 1st Irish Ferries worker was clearly having a bad day, grunted at us to strap down our own bike, refused to help in any way and fcked off.
Fortunately Phil is not as incompetent as me in these matters ( I'm better with tarps than I am with ratchet straps) and fettled our bikes.
On this basis I won't be using Irish Ferries again.

1000086674.jpg

Of course as soon as we got on the ferry the sidewards rain stopped and the sun came out.
 
Range anxiety? Pah! I reckon on 250 miles on my Himmy.
Yeah, I did mention that to him but he'd done 170 miles, the red light on his fuel gauge had started flashing and he reckoned the bike was surging.
He thinks it might be because he had it set to 'Performance Mode'.
 
There's a minor issue with the Himmy today, the spotlights were on this morning despite the switch being in the 'off' position. A little bit of fiddling around and they went off. Then back on again. Then flickered about. After a bit of deliberation about whether to just cut the cable we came up with a plan.
If the bike is left outside in the rain at night Phil will put the cover on, partly to stop the rain from getting where it shouldn't but mostly to stop us from seeing if they come back on and worrying about any impact on battery consumption. :D
 
A lovely ride through the Wicklow Hills (I must come back and spend more time here) followed by quick blast down the M9 where the hideous rain started again and we're in Waterford where the Irish Tricolour was designed and 1st flown.
 
A lovely ride through the Wicklow Hills, I must come back and spend more time here, followed by a quick blast down the M9 in the pouring rain (again) and we're in Waterford where the Irish Tricolour was designed and first flown.

1000086796.jpg

1000086797.jpg

1000086798.jpg
 
The factory tour was more interesting than I thought but the main thing I took away from it was that 'Waterford Crystal 1783' is somewhat disingenuous.
The craftsmen working behind the scenes were a lovely group and happy to chat.

1000086806.jpg

1000086808.jpg


If the factory is low on orders the craftsmen are allowed yo work on their own designs. These don't go on sale but if you see one of these pieces you particularly like it will be as a one-off for you including this impressive Tool Box.

1000086813.jpg
 
The factory tour was more interesting than I thought but the main thing I took away from it was that 'Waterford Crystal 1783' is somewhat disingenuous.
The craftsmen working behind the scenes were a lovely group and happy to chat.

View attachment 534597

View attachment 534598


If the factory is low on orders the craftsmen are allowed yo work on their own designs. These don't go on sale but if you see one of these pieces you particularly like it will be as a one-off for you including this impressive Tool Box.

View attachment 534600
So this is where the newbie gets sent for a “ glass hammer” and a long wait??…..
 
For why, please?

I’m guessing that the year is somewhat ‘imaginative’?
Founded then, yes. Went out of business for 100 years partly due to An Gorta Mor (The Great Hunger) before being started again in 1947 by a Slovenian bod, going bust in 2009 then started up again 2 years later by a Hedge Fund (or the like).
I was hoping to buy 2 'authentic' Waterford Crystal Christmas decorations, 1 for my tree 1 for Sarah's but as 'authentic' appears to be an arbitrary concept I decided against it.
 
Last edited:


Back
Top Bottom