4 days around Wales, the Cotswolds, and the South West

Nutty

Reaction score
The plan was to get 4 days away on the bikes, touring Brecon, the Black Mountains and the West Country. And enjoy some decent food and drinks.:beerjug:

Friday - Camberley to Brecon

A delayed start at 11am meant a boring ride down the M4 to Swindon, then cut across to Gloucester. Lunch was at Subway in Brockworth, then into Hereford to the cider museum.:beer:

IMG_1141.jpg

IMG_1145.jpg

IMG_1149.jpg

A quick run from Hereford, through Abergavenny and across the Brecons.

IMG_1160.jpg

We arrived at The Castle Coaching Inn, Trecastle - http://www.castle-coaching-inn.co.uk/index.php at about 6pm.

Dinner was some hot bread rolls and butter, oriental prawns with sweet chilli, lamb stew with veggies

IMG_1166.jpg

followed by cheesecake. I'll apologise now for the food photos, as I kept forgetting to take pictures before I started eating, so some of these look like a dog's dinner.:blast:D Great food, all washed down with, wait for it, gin, vodka, red wine, cider and amaretto (not at the same time)! Did I mention that we like a drink or two!:beer::jager:friday

Lots of alcohol at our Hotel, and the pub over the road. A proper locals pub, one chap even fell asleep at the bar!

Saturday - Brecon to Minchinhampton, Glocs

An early start today, with the hangover from hell!:comfort This was going to be an epic ride, we probably shouldn't have drunk so much. So, after a full English (no black pudding, so I told them that technically, this was not a "full" English.:rob That went down well!:augie) After being given directions by the landlord, which involved a wrong turn down a farm track and some green landing (fun on the 12, but my mate on his Fazer was none too impressed) we paid a visit to Touratech. This could have been expensive, but I restrained myself, and just bought a set of bar risers. They fitted them free of charge as well.

We then passed through Llandovery and up to the Llyn Brianne reservoir. Epic roads and scenery.

IMG_1170.jpg

IMG_1174.jpg

IMG_1176.jpg

IMG_1179.jpg

IMG_1181.jpg

IMG_1182.jpg

IMG_1185.jpg

Then through Builth, back down into the Brecons and across to Cinderford in the Forest of Dean, before arriving at The Ragged Cot Inn, Minchinhampton -
http://www.theraggedcot.co.uk/

A quick shower, then to the bar!:D We tried to show some restraint tonight, but that all went wrong when some of the locals got talking about their Gumball trip from Minchinhampton to Milan next year, in cars worth less than £300, which we are now included in.:rolleyes::D

So, dinner was fantastic. Locally baked artisan bread with proper butter, fruits de mere, a HUGE cheeseburger with triple cooked chips (had a few drinks now, and forgot to take a nice picture; I won't be applying to be a food photographer any time soon:blast:D)

IMG_1191.jpg

then hot chocolate fondant:drool

IMG_1194.jpg

all washed down with a couple of bottles of red.:friday When we finished, I commented on the amount of chocolate left on Mark's plate; he then proceeded to pick up his plate and lick it clean.:D I have some video of that, but don't think he'd appreciate me putting it on here! The waitress thought it was hilarious, but one elderly gentleman looked horrified!:D:D:D

Back to the bar, tonight's drinks consisted of red wine, gin, and amaretto sours.:beer::jager We eventually staggered off to bed at about half 12, so not too late.:thumb

Sunday - Minchinhampton to Iddesleigh, Devon

We knew it would be a good day when the Full English included black pudding!:thumb Could have been more of it though!:blast

Out by 10, we then rode down though the Cotswolds, passing by Chipping Sodbury, then over the M4 and into Somerset, arriving at Cheddar later in the morning, after the TomTom took us through the dodgy part of Bristol.:blast

IMG_1202.jpg

Away after a short break and some bourbons (the biscuits, not the drink:rolleyes:) and down into Exmoor via Minehead. We then arrived at Lynton and Lynmouth.

IMG_1204.jpg

IMG_1206.jpg

IMG_1207.jpg

As we were now in Devon thought it would be rude to not have a cream tea.:p

IMG_1209.jpg

Saw this on the menu, so had to try it.:D:drool

IMG_1211.jpg

These GS riders seem to like their photo taken.:blast:D

IMG_1213.jpg

Get out the way of my picture!:rob

IMG_1214.jpg

Then, back on the bikes, feeling rather sick after the gorge, and down to Bude, on the Atlantic Highway. There were some idiot car drivers on this road, trying to race us, but either it was that or the weather, but I wasn't as impressed with this road as I thought I would be.:nenau Maybe we were spoilt in Wales, as I prefer the twisty nadgery roads rather than the big A roads.:augie

A quick stop in Bude.

IMG_1220.jpg

We discussed going to Padstow for fish n chips, but as it was 5pm, decided to get to our pub. We had a chat with an ex-GSER who recommended the A3072 to Holsworthy, and it didn't disappoint.:JB

A 5.30pm arrival at The Duke of York Inn, Iddesleigh - http://www.dukeofyorkdevon.co.uk

IMG_1222.jpg

This is the pub where the author of War Horse got his inspiration while sat in front of the fire. When I told Mark that we were staying in the War Horse pub, he must have written it down wrong, as he thought that we were staying in a whore house pub!:rolleyes::D

After unpacking the bike, I realised that they hadn't given me a key to the room, so popped down to the bar to ask the landlord, and was told "we don't have locks in Devon, dear boy" - this was going to be an interesting night!:augie I asked about the covered parking, and after being taken up the path round the back of the pub, and remembering that Monday was going to be wet, decided that we'd leave the bikes in the road, as the path looked like it could be interesting in the wet.:comfort

So, a quick shower, then down for our last night, and we were determined to make it a good one!:ChrisKelly After a few G&T's in the bar, we then moved though for dinner. We had to have the obligatory fresh hot bread and butter while looking at the menu, then on to squid in salt and pepper with a salad. Then Liver and bacon (tasted better than it looked).:D

IMG_1224.jpg
:barf

We then had a break before dessert, but I had been eying up the mars bar cheesecake.:drool

IMG_1229.jpg

Then cheese and biscuits (it was our last night:rolleyes:)

IMG_1231.jpg

A few drinks later (more gin, red wine, and a whole bottle of amaretto between us) most of the locals cleared off, so we stayed up for a good old fashioned lock in with John, the landlord, and had loads of laughs.:friday:beer::jager:D:barf

And so to bed, the hangover had started early, as I had a thumping headache when I went to bed.:blast

Monday - Iddesleigh to Camberley

Up until today we had been lucky with the weather, despite the forecasters predicting rain all weekend. A call from Mark's better half saying that it was torrential back home wasn't the news we wanted, but we had to get back. It had rained here, but not that badly.

Apparently before going to bed last night, we asked the chef to cook us steak and kidney pudding for breakfast:eek:, as that's what Rick Stein had when he visited. She was more than happy to come in and cook it for us, but luckily, we pulled the plug on that idea before going to bed!:toungincheek

So, the obligatory full English (minus the black pudding again) but good nevertheless.

IMG_1233.jpg

Then pack quickly and roll out, back on the road.:thumb

The plan had always been to ride to Dartmoor Prison as the roads round there are fantastic, and the prison is so imposing. We had rain most of today, which wasn't a problem (until the diesel spillage roundabout - more on that in a minute), but the icing on the cake was the fog at Dartmoor. It made it more "real" with the fog rolling over top of the roof of the prison. I don't want to see the inside of that place!:rob

The plan originally was to stop in at some of the seaside towns on the way back, as we'd decided not to do the A30 or A303, but as it was howling down and foggy decided to just ride the coastal roads in one go, only stopping a couple of times. We ended up going through the middle of Exeter, and saw a stocky chap with stubble wearing a dress, high heels and a hat!:eek: He looked deadly serious, so must dress like that all the time. Time to leave Exeter we thought.:comfort

We then rode through Dorchester, Blandford Forum, and Salisbury. One of the last roundabouts leaving Salisbury had a diesel spill on the edge, and Mark had a big moment, but managed to put his foot down to save the bike just as the front stepped out.:eek: A crash less than 50 miles from home would have ruined the whole weekend, but you cant think like that.:rob We then stopped at the Hilltop Cafe for a quick bite to eat. One thing about the big GS in the crap weather is that with the HID's and LED aux lights, the cars get out of the way when they see you coming.:cool::thumb

We then did a few miles up the A303 before turning off just before the M3, and having some final B roads to Odiham before arriving back in Camberley.

So, after nearly 800 miles in 4 days, riding some of the best roads the UK has to offer (apart from up North and Scotland of course), neither bike skipped a beat, and the weekend was a success. Now we need to plan the next one.:beerjug:

Heart attack trip!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

You're not wrong.:blast Luckily I NEVER eat like that at home.:rob I've scheduled in 3 hours in the gym every day for the rest of this week, then have a 50 mile mountain bike ride booked for Saturday.:thumb It wouldn't have been the same without the food.:comfort:D

great report, lucky enough to ride on Dartmoor regularly, but this weekend myself and a fellow GSer are heading to Wales for a few days, liked the look of the waterfall thingy , where was that ?? hope the rain stops :blast

great report, lucky enough to ride on Dartmoor regularly, but this weekend myself and a fellow GSer are heading to Wales for a few days, liked the look of the waterfall thingy , where was that ?? hope the rain stops :blast

Waterfall thingy is the dam overflow at Llyn Brianne, north of Llandovery.
http://goo.gl/maps/m1M4p - seen dry here

Very nice :thumb

Good ride report, good food report :thumb:thumb:thumb

Great report and pics :thumb2

Show's how much there is on your doorstep and that you don't have to go far for an interesting trip.

Thanks for taking the time to share

Waterfall thingy is the dam overflow at Llyn Brianne, north of Llandovery.
http://goo.gl/maps/m1M4p - seen dry here

That's the one.:thumb Fantastic roads all around the reservoir.:beerjug:

What a refreshingly good report !!! Great to see your GormetEnduro , looks more full on than the riding and a healthy few drinks as well !! Proper Blokes trip !! Excellent , that breakfast looks bloody nice :thumb2 Thanks for sharing

Back
Top Bottom