A portrait of a city in 13 walks

Walk 5 - Blackheath. That’s distant lands! Home to the start, 45 minutes via the DLR, Shadwell station to Cutty Sark station. The return leg, looks like Blackheath station to New Cross station by train and then the overground line to Wapping station.

IMG_4769.png

Walk 7 - King’s Cross to Barnsbury. Closer to home.

IMG_4770.png

Last edited:
January walk 8
February walk 7

I’ll have a look in the book to see where these’ll take me.

Walk 13, which God willing I’ll do in January 2025 is, Brixton.
I enjoy watching Joolz guides he's a regular you tuber and comes up with some interesting facts,

March. Walk 3. Back south east. Greenwich.

IMG_3329.png

April. Walk 10. Straight across Tower Bridge to Bermondsey.

IMG_3330.png

March. Walk 3. Back south east. Greenwich.

View attachment 297888

April. Walk 10. Straight across Tower Bridge to Bermondsey.

View attachment 297889
I'd do 5 and 3 together on a push bike, it's all flat apart from the hill down to Blackheath Station and the uphill bit from Greenwich town centre up to Blackheath Common. I don't know if The Chapel of St Peter & St Paul is on the itinerary but well worth a look, it's opposite the Painted Hall which was also free to enter up until few years ago but now costs £15 to get in, I not sure if it's worth the money unless you like a bit of trompe l’oeil and painted ceilings, but I haven't seen it since they cleaned it up.

The argument between C. Wren esq. (architect) and the Admiralty board over the columns in The Painted Hall, and the board bilking the painter do add to its history 👍🏾

There are 13 walks in the book.

Rather than me walk them numerically, I am happy to have UKGSer chose a number at random each month.

Who is going to kick me off in January, please? Any number you like between one and 12 inclusive. See post #15.
book ordered and will pick one for weekend of 13/14 January.
Not sure which yet....

Both the Chesher and Cruickshank books reserved from library.
Cruickshank already for collection tomorrow and a few London jaunts booked for January.

The archway pictured on the cover leads to the former Embassy of Texas, just off St James Street 👍🏾

Just one of quite a few interesting little things to see. I’ll make a point of espying the camel benches, just for José.

It’s an interesting book, which I am just enjoying dotting around in at the moment.

So daughter #2 tells me that she's walking the TfL Capital Ring or "Green Chain Walk"? She also mentioned GoJauntly (cue for a Dylan Thomas pun! :D). It's an app which lists hunners of walks all over the UK. It looks very useful indeed ...
I’ve done the Capital Ring twice and cycled it in a day once.
It’s a fabulous tour of the outskirts of London: crosses the river at Woolwich and Richmond Lock.

Back
Top Bottom