Adventures to Starbucks on my BMW R1150GSA

steele01

Reaction score
So for anyone new to my threads a lil catchup

Recently I've had a few bikes partly out of curiosity and alot have gone due to rejection with issues.

R1200GSA 2014 owned since late 2014 till about 2017, did a ton of miles on it and trips all over the UK inc riding from near the cat and fiddle to Cornwall in an 8 hour thunderstorm spending a day riding round an then rode back :) unfortunately at a valve clearance check BMW managed to destroy the engine, which lead to multiple screw ups fixing it 3 engines a gearbox /FD.

After that I had a Vstrom 1000xt for a while but to similar to the fireblade I've owned since 2010.

That lead to an F800GS which I liked but redundancy meant having to let it go. Issues to report on that bad wind management an a penchant for headbearings. Did a few trips up around Scotland.

Rode my Norton a an rd250lc for a while doing 2k Miles in a week on the elsie.

After that in around 2021 I got a Vstrom 650XT loved it great for everything I was doing 600 mile days etc an didn't want to part with.

Dad started talking about getting some lighter bikes for our dream trip to Norway so I sold my Vstrom 650xt + his older gsxr to get us two 390 advs (this is where it starts to go wrong)

390 adv mine and dads rejected for refunds at 147 and 269 miles full of issues qc, build and display faults.

That lead me back onto a 1200GS TE Rallye from 2018

Unfortunately I had to part with it due to some mitigating circumstances life is a insert your favourite word.

I spent half the money on a Himalayan which I loved at first but started to have issue after issue with so I spoke to the dealer who had supplied it when I sold the GS an it went back for a refund at 500 miles with them agreeing things that had been missed shouldn't have.

After that I still wanted to give green laning a go so I bought the 300 Rally got really lucky finding one added a RR level 1 shock an for what I'd bought it for perfect. Giving green laning a go, an seeing if I enjoyed that sort of riding which I didn't. Especially on the UK trails, I think if I was to do that sort of riding I'd give Classic Trails a go on an old Norton.

An I honest enough to admit that I didn't enjoy riding on the UK green lanes, there's different styles for all of us to enjoy in Adventure.

This coincided with our house move plans changing from Cornwall (perfect for a trail bike) to on the edge of the Scottish Highlands.

Life's to short sometimes to stick with something for the sake of it and I'm a great believer in the right tool for the job.

So at the weekend I sold the Rally it got to the point I had to turn my phone off due to the amount of enquiries.

For the past 4 years I've daily rode a 1967 Norton 650SS Inc winters. Which lead me onto wanting something less techy but that offers what an want now out of a bike for my changed needs which is now more long distance road based adventure travel with the occasional light gravel road.

So without further ado.

Yay! It finally happened 🥰 I found one! Just got back from buying my BMW R1150GSA Factory none abs with enduro gearbox an Ohlins from xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [Edit - dealer name redacted at OP's request - GM] was absolutely wonderful an she put up with me spending ages looking over the bike yesterday while making dad copious amounts off Tea! Best wishes to John! Get well Soon :) I can see me being a repeat customer when it comes time for an R80 🤤🥵 I was lucky enough to move a few around while we were getting my 1150 out an really fancy one, one day!

Having the 1150 is an absolute dream as I grew up watching Long Way Round which was in inspiration for me riding on adventures no matter how small or even on my Nortons. So to be on a 2004 1150GSA is epic!

I'm just absolutely over the moon with it all nice an original an just did a 3 hour ride in one hit which was brill. Can see myself having many many adventures on it, bit more raw an visceral than the modern water cooled bikes that I've had (1200GSA TE 2014 an a 1200GS TE Rallye from 2018) an it feels like a tank rather than full of plastic ^__^ just my sorta bike oh an it's nice having pooowaaaaaaah again! Compared to the 300 Rally.

It's nice as well as it doesn't look refinished nice bit of patina but the main bits are really nice rims, engine fd etc an a few choice bits on her.

Just a really honest bike which is the way I like them.

Shes more in my wheelhouse to as you can spanner on them yourself like I do with my Nortons an seeing the analogue needles going round is brilliant fun. Which gets me off the BMW Warranty merigo round with the newer ones and the tech on them.

It's a shame BMW don't bring these out again an same for the R80! Fire those production lines up in Germany BMW.

Light might be right in some instances but it's nice being on a GSA for the wind management neck feels amazing after the ride an was really comfortable on it. Pain free with my neck injury after such a long ride is bliss.

I'm mainly road riding now and covering Long distances with a move up to Scotland and a trip to Norway an The Nordkapp after all the house move is sorted with dad. So with no more trail riding it was the perfect bike in budget.

She's just turned over to 52,800 or so, here's to the next 250k!

Next adventures planned to Starbucks all over haha :lol:

Pics to follow from the next ride out!

When dad and I get to do our Norway trip I'll either take my 1150 or we will take two water cooled GSA's.

Last edited by a moderator:
Right bike for the right person.

791c2c913060361fc44b3d5b710a73b7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good stuff.

Just same thing happed with mine

May I ask where you got her ?

Good stuff.

Just same thing happed with mine

May I ask where you got her ?

Yay! It finally happened 🥰 I found one! Just got back from buying my BMW R1150GSA Factory none abs with enduro gearbox an Ohlins from xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx was absolutely wonderful an she put up with me spending ages looking over the bike yesterday while making dad copious amounts off Tea! Best wishes to John! Get well Soon :) I can see me being a repeat customer when it comes time for an R80 🤤🥵 I was lucky enough to move a few around while we were getting my 1150 out an really fancy one, one day!

Last edited by a moderator:
I needs to read proper :)

Easily done mate my writing isn't the best being dyslexic, much prefer doing little vids now adays.

Just been going back through all the paperwork two services were by Steve at Rainbow Workshop at 50k an the previous one to that by Steve as well at the 50k one it had a new odyssey battery + pads an rear disk. Who was also great in replying to a few questions I had :)

I'm gonna stick some new fronts on as a matter of course (still in spec but wanna get everything spot on with some extra life in them for some longer trips)

Also had a annual at Reynolds at 52k before those 3 it's pretty much all BMW service history which was nice to see.

I've got a stock exhaust system on the way with a cat from a low miles 2004 gsa so that will be going on an im gonna look at putting the upgraded cam chain tensioners in as a matter of course as well. Gonna order some fresh oil as well for the engine, gearbox an fd.

One thing I did notice going through the paperwork is that It had some dyno pulls from Hilltop, so not sure how they adjust em on the 1150s not read up enough on that yet for returning to the stock exhaust.

Quite curious to identify what the exhaust is I'll try take some pictures of it, putting the stock one on as I just fancy the quietness of it.

Clutch felt brilliant 1st to 2nd was a little loud compared to the Japanese bikes but I don't think it was any louder compared to my 2014 GSA from memory.

Ran really nice though for the 3 hour ride. I've got a 3 month warranty as well which gives some peice of mind.

Always like to check stuff out myself though for my own piece of mind and I might whip it into Steve at Rainbows for an Annual and the FD bearings all feels OK but thinking to them now as a preventative. As he mentions one is due about 60k.

I need to read up about checking the stick coils as well gonna order the tool for that.

Hopefully should be out on her over the next few days, an can post up some ride out vids and pictures, wanna go out again now tbh but don't wanna overcook it on my neck as its still feeling good,

An ill snap some pics at Starbucks lmao gotta be done! I don't even drink coffee haha.

Really exciting times though :) an properly is a bucket list dream come true bike.

All seems well cared for just about giving her even more longevity going forward now so anything that needs doing or maybe be up and coming ill do now. That's how I tend to approach it on the Nortons.

Steve

Lmao cracking picture!
Few on the 650ss :)

2nd pic was Xmas day up the Cat and fiddle 🎻 freezing haha! A walker kindly snapped a mobile pic for me

First Adventure to Starbucks done lmao!

Had a nice spin out on the BMW R1150GSA must admit it's suprising me compared to the 1200s I thought they'd be light an day better had alot of miles on the 1200GSA from 2014 that I had.

An I reckon up to now I actually prefer the 1150GSA bit more character feels more manageable with the Ohlins shocks on can get both my feet on the floor which helps with a heavy bike :)

So far so good.

I've got a Standard exhaust can and a cat on the way so just gotta sus out what's been done previously on the bike mapping wise. I can see the sensor is plugged into the y peice at the mo. There's a few sheets from Hiltop in the folder, I'm assuming they run a map on the 1150 ecus?

Thanks Guru Gora :) just a few mobile pics on my old Samsung ran through light room, I totally forgot I can actually take a propper camera with me now i have a top box lol I'll make sure to remember for the next ride :)

Thanks mate few lil bits to do but seems good on the whole rides epic :)

I'll probably take it to Steve's place for the next service could easily do it myself but always good to have a base line from someone experienced on how they should be.

Thanks mate few lil bits to do but seems good on the whole rides epic :)

I'll probably take it to Steve's place for the next service could easily do it myself but always good to have a base line from someone experienced on how they should be.

He is a great mechanic
Does both mine

Thanks mate good to hear :)
Hopefully should have the standard exhaust can and cat arriving on Monday absolutely can't wait to try it.

I'm gonna order the tools to get the stick coils out as well, want to double check what spark plugs are in looking at the BMW EPC the twin spark ran different plugs top n low.

Here's the first adventure to Starbucks!! Lol
[media]

Thanks mate good to hear :)
Hopefully should have the standard exhaust can and cat arriving on Monday absolutely can't wait to try it.

I'm gonna order the tools to get the stick coils out as well, want to double check what spark plugs are in looking at the BMW EPC the twin spark ran different plugs top n low.

Here's the first adventure to Starbucks!! Lol
[media]

If it’s running right, no need to mess with the spark plugs
Standard is best
No 1200 injectors
No Gemi chip

on mine

Thanks mate yep I'm just curious as to what's in it learnt to always check after working on my dads bros kettle that he had when he got it, it had 3 different plugs lol which were all wrong. Want to be able to keep an eye on the plugs when I put the stock system on as I'm not sure what's been done to the ECU was some pulls from Hilltop in all the paperwork did notice it said on the website that whatever they do can adapt so we shall see an ill keep an eye on it the old way till I get it into Steve's.

That's brill to know :) looking forward to getting the stock pipe back on, I've always liked running them standard the elsies an Nortons always have the best reliability when like that.

Back
Top Bottom