ASA to have or not

From the feedback ASA seems favourite with only one person not happy and going back to back. We all have the power of choice. Local dealer does not have ASA demo. so means travel to A.N.Other.
 
How do you know you have no need for it ?

You haven’t experienced or tried it

Nor have I - but I am curious that it will be good, if not I would buy a manual

Minds are like parachutes - but when open

Think of how many unnecessary gear changes you do in a day on a bike and only a handful are enjoyable on a twisty road, the rest are mundane
True, I've not ridden BMW's version, which I expect is one of the best. I have ridden Honda's Africa Twin, DCT version and I didn't like when it changed gears. Ended up in a clutchless manual mode, which felt laggy and remote. The only benefit to me would have been starting and stopping, which I don't find difficult or tiring with a clutch. One of my friends has the DCT and has to ride it in manual out of town to avoid inappropriate gear changes and get engine braking.

I don't mind at all if some prefer ASA. It is great there's now a choice to suit those riders and they're enthusiatic about their choice. But we don't need evangelicals telling those who don't want auto that they're wrong.

There are bikes I'd never buy and women I'd never marry. In each case, I wouldn't dream of telling someone "minds are like parachutes" :ROFLMAO:
 
I think the issue is not some riders being evangelical (is perhaps enthusiastic a better choice of word?), moreover it is others condemning technology without giving it a fair trial which a not uncommon trait. True, you may try something and not like it, but to say ‘that’s not for me’ without a test is akin to saying you don’t like certain foods when you’ve never tried them.

In any case, the point of my thread on the subject (elsewhere) was to canvas opinion from users of automatic and auto clutch systems. I think enough users have commented to allay my concerns and I’m looking forward to my test ride later this week
 
A month or so ago, I had a loan bike with ASA... I hadn't requested it, it's just how it was. Went around the car park a couple of times to learn how it worked... then off ! Loved it ! Manual mode was like having a super-smooth quick-shifter that worked in all gears and at all revs... Auto mode just worked. I have to agree with the comment above though... it does seem to change up earlier than I would... but I guess they know what they're doing. It probably coincides with the 'change up' arrow you get on a normal bike.

If buying a new bike anytime soon... I'd defo be getting the ASA option (with a long warranty).
 
I think the issue is not some riders being evangelical (is perhaps enthusiastic a better choice of word?), moreover it is others condemning technology without giving it a fair trial which a not uncommon trait. True, you may try something and not like it, but to say ‘that’s not for me’ without a test is akin to saying you don’t like certain foods when you’ve never tried them.

In any case, the point of my thread on the subject (elsewhere) was to canvas opinion from users of automatic and auto clutch systems. I think enough users have commented to allay my concerns and I’m looking forward to my test ride later this week
That sums it up well
 
I've test ridden ASA. I can see how automatic mode would be great when commuting, on motorways or unchallenging roads.

I wasn't keen on it on twisty roads as it was always a gear or two too high when taking corners (I'm an IAM observer so wedded to the Roadcraft way of riding, be in a "responsive gear" etc). So I needed to use manual mode on those roads, and felt ASA didn't give much advantage over the quickshifter on the standard box in this context.

So for my type of riding overall it didn't offer enough advantage and I thought I'd save a grand or whatever it costs.

If it was the same price auto or conventional, it's a closer decision
 
I think the thing with DCT is that, when first used, either on a test ride or straight after pick-up, is it’s going to be the main area of attention. Basically the rider will be looking for a fault. When the system does something not to the riders taste or is unfamiliar with then the DCT box is condemned.
Just forget about it, let it do its job and learn to use it.
Give it time and experiment with engine modes and don’t forget DCT can be over ridden at anytime. Also remember the speed the throttle opens will move the shift up points up the rev range.
I find it very versatile, offering more choice and variety than manual boxes. Basically something new to learn and use.
Could be just me, but I’ve never return from a ride and given a moments thought to how I’ve used the clutch or gearbox.
 
Last edited:
In traffic is its main benefit. No faffing about with a clutch and it sorts the gear for you if you forget . Makes the tedious part of biking a doddle
 
Last edited:
In traffic is it main benefit. No faffing about with a clutch and it sorta the gear for you if you forget . Makes the tedious part of biking a doddle
Agree. The summer before i bought my ASA GSA I remember being in Barcelona in 35C Solid traffic. I remember thinking to myself "F@king clutch, And if they did bring out an Auto id take it. For me its impressive, Twisties, Off-Road anywhere. And always in the right gear. I've also heard criticism of it changing gear in a corner. I've never had that.
 
Like an automatic car, some people like/want / some dont. There are rare occasions where I may slip my clutch in first/second such as really tight steep uphill corners, the ones where you really dont want to stall , having that finite control is a handy feature especially with a heavy bike.

Oddly my dealer tried to shy me away from asa when trying to quote me for a new bike but the cynic in me thinks is that because they had more manual bikes to shift

Sounds like one to try and decide for yourself (y)
 
Like an automatic car, some people like/want / some dont. There are rare occasions where I may slip my clutch in first/second such as really tight steep uphill corners, the ones where you really dont want to stall , having that finite control is a handy feature especially with a heavy bike.
But the ASA will do that for you . Effortlessly
Oddly my dealer tried to shy me away from asa when trying to quote me for a new bike but the cynic in me thinks is that because they had more manual bikes to shift
I’m hearing that too . ASA is the bigger seller now
 
I’ve only had mine for a couple of weeks but on balance I prefer it to a clutch. I always found the GS clutch weird, especially in traffic. But so far ASA is not perfect. It tends to lurch a bit from a stop and the fine motor control seems less smooth than DCT, but then I suppose it would as it’s not dual clutch technology. I live in the South East of UK and traffic is horrendous so not having to continuously hold a clutch lever in is a godsend. I’d already got used to using rear brake instead of clutch on my NC so it was a breeze to adjust. Not being able to stall what is a heavy bike on an off-camber uphill junction or a peek and creep from a blind junction is just a bonus. Park mode is also great as it locks the transmission. I haven’t used auto mode yet as when I did in the test ride it changed up far to early (just like DCT did for me).
 
I’ve only had mine for a couple of weeks but on balance I prefer it to a clutch. I always found the GS clutch weird, especially in traffic. But so far ASA is not perfect. It tends to lurch a bit from a stop and the fine motor control seems less smooth than DCT, but then I suppose it would as it’s not dual clutch technology. I live in the South East of UK and traffic is horrendous so not having to continuously hold a clutch lever in is a godsend. I’d already got used to using rear brake instead of clutch on my NC so it was a breeze to adjust. Not being able to stall what is a heavy bike on an off-camber uphill junction or a peek and creep from a blind junction is just a bonus. Park mode is also great as it locks the transmission. I haven’t used auto mode yet as when I did in the test ride it changed up far to early (just like DCT did for me).
Ride it in Dynamic, Gear changes much higher.
 


Back
Top Bottom