Click down for first . Press M/D button to put into Drive / auto and off you go . When you stop / put side stand down it goes into park P . Press the M/D button and it goes into neutral . Easy
True, I've not ridden BMW's version, which I expect is one of the best. I have ridden Honda's Africa Twin, DCT version and I didn't like when it changed gears. Ended up in a clutchless manual mode, which felt laggy and remote. The only benefit to me would have been starting and stopping, which I don't find difficult or tiring with a clutch. One of my friends has the DCT and has to ride it in manual out of town to avoid inappropriate gear changes and get engine braking.How do you know you have no need for it ?
You haven’t experienced or tried it
Nor have I - but I am curious that it will be good, if not I would buy a manual
Minds are like parachutes - but when open
Think of how many unnecessary gear changes you do in a day on a bike and only a handful are enjoyable on a twisty road, the rest are mundane
Ah, you've met my wife then.I akin to saying you don’t like certain foods when you’ve never tried them.
I agree, that would be weird. Where has that been posted ?But we don't need evangelicals telling those who don't want auto that they're wrong.
That sums it up wellI think the issue is not some riders being evangelical (is perhaps enthusiastic a better choice of word?), moreover it is others condemning technology without giving it a fair trial which a not uncommon trait. True, you may try something and not like it, but to say ‘that’s not for me’ without a test is akin to saying you don’t like certain foods when you’ve never tried them.
In any case, the point of my thread on the subject (elsewhere) was to canvas opinion from users of automatic and auto clutch systems. I think enough users have commented to allay my concerns and I’m looking forward to my test ride later this week
Agree. The summer before i bought my ASA GSA I remember being in Barcelona in 35C Solid traffic. I remember thinking to myself "F@king clutch, And if they did bring out an Auto id take it. For me its impressive, Twisties, Off-Road anywhere. And always in the right gear. I've also heard criticism of it changing gear in a corner. I've never had that.In traffic is it main benefit. No faffing about with a clutch and it sorta the gear for you if you forget . Makes the tedious part of biking a doddle
But the ASA will do that for you . EffortlesslyLike an automatic car, some people like/want / some dont. There are rare occasions where I may slip my clutch in first/second such as really tight steep uphill corners, the ones where you really dont want to stall , having that finite control is a handy feature especially with a heavy bike.
I’m hearing that too . ASA is the bigger seller nowOddly my dealer tried to shy me away from asa when trying to quote me for a new bike but the cynic in me thinks is that because they had more manual bikes to shift
Which never happens with ASAthe ones where you really dont want to stall ,
Ride it in Dynamic, Gear changes much higher.I’ve only had mine for a couple of weeks but on balance I prefer it to a clutch. I always found the GS clutch weird, especially in traffic. But so far ASA is not perfect. It tends to lurch a bit from a stop and the fine motor control seems less smooth than DCT, but then I suppose it would as it’s not dual clutch technology. I live in the South East of UK and traffic is horrendous so not having to continuously hold a clutch lever in is a godsend. I’d already got used to using rear brake instead of clutch on my NC so it was a breeze to adjust. Not being able to stall what is a heavy bike on an off-camber uphill junction or a peek and creep from a blind junction is just a bonus. Park mode is also great as it locks the transmission. I haven’t used auto mode yet as when I did in the test ride it changed up far to early (just like DCT did for me).
Ok we get it, its the best thing since sliced breadWhich never happens with ASA![]()
Probably notOk we get it, its the best thing since sliced bread![]()
I will be test riding one next time before ordering. Until then I am none the wiser, my specialist subjectProbably notBut its input into a thread about ASA. ? Clue is in the thread title !