ASA to have or not

resovoir

Member
UKGSer Subscriber
Joined
Oct 30, 2020
Messages
86
Reaction score
9
Location
South Coast England
Sorry about this chaps a chapesses. I have read and read about ASA, been offered what after research is a reasonable price to buy an asa, but being an old timer there is still doubt of moving with the times. if something goes wrong that is it kaput electronics. Changing gear is no real effort with the quickshift, so why should I get ASA at extra cost?
I know the subject has been covered before but one nervous chap finding it hard moving with the times. Cheers Resovoir
 
i ride my ASA 95% in manual but when I'm touring and it's been a long day and I'm in a random city in traffic and I'm knackered and grumpy, ASA carries me over the finish line to the hotel / bar! :ROFLMAO:
Also - the extra security of Park mode is nice to have.
Downside - when teenage lads ask you to rev, you just have to shake your head :LOL:
 
Sorry about this chaps a chapesses. I have read and read about ASA, been offered what after research is a reasonable price to buy an asa, but being an old timer there is still doubt of moving with the times. if something goes wrong that is it kaput electronics. Changing gear is no real effort with the quickshift, so why should I get ASA at extra cost?
I know the subject has been covered before but one nervous chap finding it hard moving with the times. Cheers Resovoir
If you tend to long distance touring, ASA all day long. Ill not go back to a clutch. Its also great round town, Mountain twisties, and off-road. As has been said. Take one out, For a long run. You'll be surprised how quick you get used to it.
P mode is a massive bonus for security.
 
New tech has a risk, but in this case I doubt reliability is an issue. There must be higher mileage ASA bikes out there by now and we're not overwhelmed with tales of woe.

Those who have it are very, very positive about it. It even seems good off-road. So, if you're inclined towards it, definitely try it out.

I've not tried it as it's not for me. I enjoy having the clutch control. I expect the ASA managed starts and shifts are probably smoother than I am, though. I only ride and tour for my own enjoyment and challenge, not out of any necessity. For that, I just like it being, as much as traction control / abs permits, my decisions and skills that connect me to the bike. I'm not sure I would buy into ASA reducing fatigue. The GS clutches are pretty light. The gearshift isn't physically tiring. One of my bikes is a '70s Commando. I need a day of rest after handling that clutch pull! Good fun though.
 
ASA doesn't have a quickshifter. QS has confused more people than it's benefited.
In manual it's the same as the quick shifter. Maybe different mechanically, but still the same end product. Semantics.
 
Those who have it are very, very positive about it. It even seems good off-road. So, if you're inclined towards it, definitely try it out.

I've not tried it as it's not for me. I enjoy having the clutch control. I expect the ASA managed starts and shifts are probably smoother than I am, though.

That’s flawed reasoning

Try one

You might like it - clutch control is old hat

My local Motorrad dealer says 70% of new GS/GSA and RT 1300 sales are ASA and that’s even to the die hards like you

He reckons once you tried it, you’ll never go back to a clutch again
 
Why? I have no need for it and am very happy with my manual GSA. There is no flawed logic. I am not a "die hard". I enjoy my motorbiking having the full experience. I have no problem though, with anyone having a different perspective, so long as they don't think there's a wrong and a right here and those who didn't tick the box need 'converting'.

I also enjoy walking. Taking the dogs around the sea wall to the pub is one of the great pleasures in life. It would be easier to put them in the car and drive to the pub, very tempting some days, much easier and better use of technology, but I always enjoy the walk.
 
ASA wasn’t available when I bought my 1300GS, but having owned a Crosstourer DCT and currently also owning a twist and go scooter, I would certainly spec it if I was buying now

I did try a GSA ASA on a BMW test day organized by my dealer, we went for a “spirited” ride around the local back roads 2 up and I never once changed manually, it was just fine in auto mode. The ability to change manually would be a bonus as I did use it a lot with the DCT Honda
 
Having never ridden one, or even been near one… how do you select first gear? Still one click down… then twist and go?

Then notch up back into neutral…
 
Dealer mucked up my booking for a test ride on a R1300rs and only had the ASA available although I'd booked the manual. Was a horrible day when I rode it, mainly heavy rain and roads awash with water and also blowing a gale. My plan was to do a route to the coast that I do a lot to give me a good comparison against my current bike but weather was so bad I bugged out a bit earlier.

Most of the ride I was in manual, though when in town I was letting auto do the work. For me it changed up too early in auto, though I think auto can learn your riding style and adapt. In manual it was simply fantastic, seamless changes up and down.

I bought a manual and I simply don't use the quickshifter when changing up until I'm in 3rd as from ist to second and second to third it's brutal.

Had I been speccing a new bike I would have bought the manual, however this would have been on price point, if the ASA had been the same price it would have given me a difficult decision.
 
8000 miles on an ASA RT and now back on a manual 13 GS, IMHO it’s not a black and white decision. Whilst I found the ASA in manual mode a hoot on fast twisties and I did appreciate drive mode when I wanted to focus on other things I found the gearbox even more clunky at low speed than previous air cooled boxers. Drive mode is supposed to learn from your riding style but it still made gear changes at inopertune moments, almost like having a novice rider change gear for you! Having gone back to a manual I’m finding I can change gear with a lot less fuss and clattering in the gearbox but I will caveat it with the fact I live in the overcrowded South East where speeds are a lot lower and traffic is dense, on the open roads of France ASA’s manual mode is hard to beat. You really need a long test ride in varying traffic conditions before making your decision.
 
Why? I have no need for it and am very happy with my manual GSA. There is no flawed logic. I am not a "die hard". I enjoy my motorbiking having the full experience. I have no problem though, with anyone having a different perspective, so long as they don't think there's a wrong and a right here and those who didn't tick the box need 'converting'.

I also enjoy walking. Taking the dogs around the sea wall to the pub is one of the great pleasures in life. It would be easier to put them in the car and drive to the pub, very tempting some days, much easier and better use of technology, but I always enjoy the walk.
How do you know you have no need for it ?

You haven’t experienced or tried it

Nor have I - but I am curious that it will be good, if not I would buy a manual

Minds are like parachutes - but when open

Think of how many unnecessary gear changes you do in a day on a bike and only a handful are enjoyable on a twisty road, the rest are mundane
 
I don’t mind shifting gear. Don’t think about it even. Quick shifter is nice. If I was buying a new bike I’d opt for asa. Why? Why not? I’ve got everything else. I think. JJH
 
I literally look at a clutch now as old, obselete, out of date and completely unnecessary. Just like a manual window winder.
 


Back
Top Bottom