ASA to have or not

Ok we get it, its the best thing since sliced bread (y)
It's not, it's another option and we still have a choice. However progress is by definition moving forwards and happens when a better way forward is found. If dealers are already reporting more ASA sales than manual you can see where the future is heading.

I'm an old fart myself but I'm also a sucker for new tech. I've ridden bikes for over 46 years and consider my R1300rs to be the best all round bike I've owned. However where the clutch bites is a joke, right at the end of the lever span. I did my test ride on the ASA as the dealer double booked the manual, had I ridden the manual on the test ride, then the ASA I would have given serious consideration to forking out the extra for an ASA.

P.s. I'm a tight Scots git.
 
It's not, it's another option and we still have a choice. However progress is by definition moving forwards and happens when a better way forward is found. If dealers are already reporting more ASA sales than manual you can see where the future is heading.

I'm an old fart myself but I'm also a sucker for new tech. I've ridden bikes for over 46 years and consider my R1300rs to be the best all round bike I've owned. However where the clutch bites is a joke, right at the end of the lever span. I did my test ride on the ASA as the dealer double booked the manual, had I ridden the manual on the test ride, then the ASA I would have given serious consideration to forking out the extra for an ASA.

P.s. I'm a tight Scots git.
I'm all for tech. I wouldn't go back to a manual car and will be interested in ASA, more of these 20mph/30kph limits appear to be creeping in in Europe so having the bike take the load on those bit appeals aside from the other reported benefits.
 
I really liked it during the 695 miles I had an ASA GS.... but it did let me down.....

There are other bikes that have suffered the same problem but considering the number of bikes that are sold I reckon the problem affected just a small percentage.... but definitely worth thinking about if buying used...

 
Quite obviously a fault. A ghost in the machine. It could be worse, It could be my bike :ROFLMAO:
 
As indicated in an earlier post, I’ve today had a test ride of an ASA equipped BMW - not the RT which would have been my preference, but a GSA. The ride satisfied my curiosity and gave me food for thought. I cannot say that ASA is perfect and, much has been reported by a number of contributors, there are significant issues which give pause for thought

First the praise

- using the foot pedal/switch to change gear results in changes which are almost imperceptible - as smooth as you would wish for and certainly many times better than the quick shift on my 1250 RT and other boxers I’ve owned. If BMW offered this level of quick shifting (allied to a clutch) on non ASA boxers then I think I’d buy that and forget about auto shifting
- piulling away from a standstill was excellent. Smooth and judder free allowing greater concentration at junctions and on looking out for dangers without the need to juggle clutch and throttle
- slow riding - I didn’t experience any difficulty and although I didn’t try a foot up U turn in the carriageway I feel sure that it would quickly become readily done. Other slow riding eg in stop start traffic and approaching junction was drama free

The brickbats (or questions)

- Why when as an experienced advanced rider, trained to select the most appropriate gear for any given manoeuvre, do I have to put up with the unnerving feeling of approaching corners, bends and roundabouts still in 6th gear. Yes I can override the system with the foot gear selector but is that what an auto select/change system is all about?
- The upshifting from 2nd gear onwards was not smooth and certainly not as good as I can do on a traditional set up - perhaps this was a symptom of the bike only having been ridden for 250 miles. If so, how long does one wait for the smoothness, or does one become injured to the less than good gear changes
- downshifts. I tried on a number of occasions (in Road mode) to get the bike to downshift for overtaking but it seemed to be happy to carry out the manoeuvre on top gear. Of course its possible to override this but again I ask why should it be necessary

To sum up, I’ve not decided against ASA, and I’ve not decided in favour of it. I didn’t plan on changing my bike for a while yet so have time for thought and probably a further test ride. Incidentally, I’ve not ridden Honda’s DCT but the reviews suggest that it took several incarnations to become as good as it reportedly is. Perhaps ASA needs the same. Honda’s E Clutch system looks to be receiving much praise also

A couple of questions for those more experienced in ASA - firstly, do we know if the system fitted to the GS/GSA is exactly the same as on the RT or are there tuning/set up differences? And secondly, do long term users of ASA find that it improves as the bike does more miles?

Apologies for the ramble
 
As I approach the corner, I tap the front break just before I lean in, This touching the brake drops the gear down, whatever gear you are in.
The bike will "Learn" from you. Everytime I open the throttle eagerly, the Bike kicks down.
My gear changes are seamless, whether in Dynamic or Road. I'm sure it does get smoother with time and Miles.
 
As indicated in an earlier post, I’ve today had a test ride of an ASA equipped BMW - not the RT which would have been my preference, but a GSA. The ride satisfied my curiosity and gave me food for thought. I cannot say that ASA is perfect and, much has been reported by a number of contributors, there are significant issues which give pause for thought

First the praise

- using the foot pedal/switch to change gear results in changes which are almost imperceptible - as smooth as you would wish for and certainly many times better than the quick shift on my 1250 RT and other boxers I’ve owned. If BMW offered this level of quick shifting (allied to a clutch) on non ASA boxers then I think I’d buy that and forget about auto shifting
- piulling away from a standstill was excellent. Smooth and judder free allowing greater concentration at junctions and on looking out for dangers without the need to juggle clutch and throttle
- slow riding - I didn’t experience any difficulty and although I didn’t try a foot up U turn in the carriageway I feel sure that it would quickly become readily done. Other slow riding eg in stop start traffic and approaching junction was drama free

The brickbats (or questions)

- Why when as an experienced advanced rider, trained to select the most appropriate gear for any given manoeuvre, do I have to put up with the unnerving feeling of approaching corners, bends and roundabouts still in 6th gear. Yes I can override the system with the foot gear selector but is that what an auto select/change system is all about?
- The upshifting from 2nd gear onwards was not smooth and certainly not as good as I can do on a traditional set up - perhaps this was a symptom of the bike only having been ridden for 250 miles. If so, how long does one wait for the smoothness, or does one become injured to the less than good gear changes
- downshifts. I tried on a number of occasions (in Road mode) to get the bike to downshift for overtaking but it seemed to be happy to carry out the manoeuvre on top gear. Of course its possible to override this but again I ask why should it be necessary

To sum up, I’ve not decided against ASA, and I’ve not decided in favour of it. I didn’t plan on changing my bike for a while yet so have time for thought and probably a further test ride. Incidentally, I’ve not ridden Honda’s DCT but the reviews suggest that it took several incarnations to become as good as it reportedly is. Perhaps ASA needs the same. Honda’s E Clutch system looks to be receiving much praise also

A couple of questions for those more experienced in ASA - firstly, do we know if the system fitted to the GS/GSA is exactly the same as on the RT or are there tuning/set up differences? And secondly, do long term users of ASA find that it improves as the bike does more miles?

Apologies for the ramble
Hi MW, It's difficult to say whether the ASA improves with mileage. What I can say is that, it takes a while, but the rider themselves improve in understanding the bike as the milage increases. I was competent on the bike after 30 minutes or so but, it has taken me several months to fully gel with the bike. I now instinctively know when the bike is going to change up or down no matter which mode I am riding in, this alone makes the bike feel much smoother, as you know what and when is happening. Having said that it still does very occasionally catch me out with an unexpected downshift in the lower gears.
One thing I really like and utilise a lot is the downshift as you dab the front brake. Coming into a bend just dab the brake and it will change down. I'm sure any IAM trained riders would be tearing their hair out if they where following me. Making progress on the ASA equipped bikes, for me, is quite a bit different than a standard geared bike. To be honest I'm not concerned if others think I'm dabbing my brakes to often. I absolutely enjoy riding the ASA equipped bike and would have no desire to return to a standard clutch.
5k miles in and the gearchanges feel as good and smooth as any bike I've ever owned. And the only way to describe the changes using the foot lever whilst in manual mode is 'like a knife through butter'
The only time I feel the changes are maybe a little under par is when riding in auto with the engine in the dynamic mode.
It really IMHO needs to be ridden in manual when in Dynamic mode and boy is that good fun. I can't do it too often as the old tickers not up to it.
 
Last edited:
I've test ridden ASA. I can see how automatic mode would be great when commuting, on motorways or unchallenging roads.

I wasn't keen on it on twisty roads as it was always a gear or two too high when taking corners (I'm an IAM observer so wedded to the Roadcraft way of riding, be in a "responsive gear" etc). So I needed to use manual mode on those roads, and felt ASA didn't give much advantage over the quickshifter on the standard box in this context.

So for my type of riding overall it didn't offer enough advantage and I thought I'd save a grand or whatever it costs.

If it was the same price auto or conventional, it's a closer decision
Get up to date, you can’t mention IAM & Roadcraft in the same sentence 😉
 


Back
Top Bottom