Back to Auckland

As others have said, a very enjoyable read Mike. Just the right balance of words and pictures to keep it interesting.

Thanks for sharing!

Bob

Is it just me feeling sad that this has come to an end, it has certainly helped me to get through the last two months of Winter and has been essential reading first thing every morning.

Thanks Mike, another superb trip and write up, hope your long haul back is not too tedious. ;)

It's a case of training and practice. As a Class One police motorcyclist I was trained to ride one handed. I wear an open pouch on the left of my jacket, with the camera sitting in it. Learning to turn it on and off with (unlined elkskin) gloves on is a matter of practice - which I often did at home whilst watching TV :D. Once you develop the muscle memory for how to do it, it becomes second nature.

As with anything like this - if you are not confident you can do the above safely then you shouldn't attempt it yada, yada, yada...

Prepare your ego for a bruise.:p

I don't do this for anyone except myself. This is my diary, and it is a gift from present day Me to future Me. I'd write this anyway, indeed, when I was first planning my 2004 trip to the USA, I asked Paul (BHT) if he had room to store it on his server, as I dreaded the idea of losing my laptop and the journal. He suggested we make it public - I honestly had no idea it would become so popular.

I also don't care whether anyone likes it or not...:D

When I'm sitting in the retirement home, others may be staring out of the window - I'll be reading these journals and remembering that maybe, once or twice, I did something a little wild or unusual.

Plus the chicks in the home won't be able to keep their hands off me...:p

I can assure you that I enjoy every day - photographing and writing my experiences is the way I try to preserve and rekindle how I was feeling when I looked at a view, or met someone. Writing my diary has become an integral part of travelling for me, and I don't feel that I've finished the day's travelling unless I've written it up.

Thanks - American Airlines Auckland - LAX; American Airlines LAX - Charlotte; American Airlines Charlotte - LHR

That makes perfect sense !

Shame you not on BA from LAX. Might have been able to get you a tad more leg room . Next time !! Safe trip back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is it just me feeling sad that this has come to an end

Nope, I definitely am.

Mike,
Really enjoyed that. Thanks for taking the time to put up an update, and some wonderful photos, every day
It's hard to believe it's been 2 months, feels like a week or two
:clap:clap

Safe journey home :beerjug:

Excellent mix of bacon, bridges and the elusive Bilbo Baggins. Cheers for taking us all along for the ride Mike & safe journey home :)

Is it just me feeling sad that this has come to an end

Definitely not just you. I've really enjoyed starting my day reading Mike's posts. :beerjug:

Imagine the come down for Mike when he gets back to the UK. Tea and toast for his breakfast will be a big shock!:D

mike

can i ask maybe a dumb question :aidan

why did you fly to la then across why not dubai/thai then down?

*expects abuse

Mike.

Thanks for the daily report - both words and pictures.

Good way to start the day here back at home - 1st cuppa of the day and reading about your exploits.

Thanks.

mike

can i ask maybe a dumb question :aidan

why did you fly to la then across why not dubai/thai then down?

*expects abuse

Not a dumb question at all. The site that I used had three choices: Cheapest Route; Quickest Route; Smartest Route.

The Cheapest routes were all via somewhere in Europe, change on to a Chinese carrier, fly to some inland Chinese airport for a 20hr layover, then a Chinese carrier to NZ.

The Quickest were also the most expensive, but the Smartest told me I could pay £120 more than the cheapest and cut 10-15hrs off my total journey time. As I'm sure you're aware, whichever way you fly UK to NZ is about the same distance, but the route I chose was the best compromise between cost and overall journey time.

Besides, who in their right mind wants to go to Dubai? :p

Hi Mike,

Many thanks for sharing your trip with us - your ride report has to be the best yet and has certainly help us get through the winter months here in the UK. Going to really miss my daily NZ fix....not to mention salivating over the breakfast shots! :beerjug:

Thanks again.

Mike,

Another brilliant RR. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Which colony next? Oz? RSA? India?

I'll miss the vicarious pleasure of your cooked breakfasts!

A

Mike

Another Fabulous RR thanks for taking the time to share it with us.

Norrie

Back
Top Bottom