BMW NAVIGATOR V LAUNCHED !

OOOOooo Errrrr .. havn't got THAT far yet ! .. let me take a look !

Software update available.

Garmin logoClose Window
BMW Motorrad Navigator V

(68.00 MB)
Change History
Changes made from version 2.20 to 2.50:

Enhanced transferring of tracks between the device and BaseCamp. The active track log is now written to a separate file titled CurrentTrackLog.gpx.
Fixed issue that could prevent the map from panning or following the vehicle position.
Fixed issues that could cause large portions of the map to be blank or prevent the route line from appearing.
Improved vehicle icon position in North Up view.
Fixed issues that could cause voice prompt to say incorrect street name or destination name.
Fixed issue preventing the unit from speaking when the user presses the speak button on the mount.
Fixed issue that caused locations sent over Smartphone Link to appear with an incorrect name in Trip Planner.
Fixed issue that could cause Roadside Assistance feature to display incorrect information.
Enhanced proximity alerts volume to match navigation volume.
Fixed issue that could cause media to play at a different volume when switching tracks.
Fixed issue causing media tracks to play in alphabetical order after rebooting the device when random mode is selected.
Fixed issue that allowed the device to handle phone calls without an available audio output.
Fixed issue that caused the microphone to be muted in a new call when it was muted at the end of the previous call.
Fixed issue that prevented the device from reconnecting to Smartphone Link on iPhone when the device was turned on.
Added an option to Trip Planner to delete multiple trips from a checklist.
Fixed issue that prevented third-party routes transferred to the device through BaseCamp from recalculating.
Improved fuel tracking when moving device between a LIN mount and a non-LIN mount.
Fixed an issue that could cause the Large Buttons keyboard to display letters in the incorrect case.

History is that the BMW Nav is based upon an existing Garmin unit, yet there is no Garmin MOTORCYCLE unit that I can find on their site with an 800 x 480 screen size. I find various Nuvi models that all have fewer features and are not waterproof as far as I can tell.

Can anyone shed any light on what this unit is based upon?

Because BMW went for the integrated approach, they cannot change the form factor of the device. So bigger screen on an existing form factor to fit into the integrated slots on the new bikes. So I suspect this is where Garmin's own product and BMW's version will stop being the same for a while.

Got a Nav V as part of the free spec with a new Triple Black GSA a few weeks ago (because they had run out of Nav IV,s) and I was going to sell the Nav IV but like the look of the bigger screen and brighter resolution of the V. Thing is I was a bit stuck because I use the Garmin connected through a wired Autocom (NOT Bluetooth) and the IV and V does not allow this option.

As a trial I stuck the Nav V in the old 660 cradle and low and behold it works with voice promps coming through the Autocom exactly the same. RESULT. Also allows me to use my old Touratech Locking mount because that fits too.

Now all I have to do is work out how to get media to work the same way because it comes up with a warning that I need to use a Bluetooth headset connection.

Rik
(Just a bit happy with myself....)

Got a Nav V as part of the free spec with a new Triple Black GSA a few weeks ago (because they had run out of Nav IV,s) and I was going to sell the Nav IV but like the look of the bigger screen and brighter resolution of the V. Thing is I was a bit stuck because I use the Garmin connected through a wired Autocom (NOT Bluetooth) and the IV and V does not allow this option.

As a trial I stuck the Nav V in the old 660 cradle and low and behold it works with voice promps coming through the Autocom exactly the same. RESULT. Also allows me to use my old Touratech Locking mount because that fits too.

Now all I have to do is work out how to get media to work the same way because it comes up with a warning that I need to use a Bluetooth headset connection.

Rik

You could pair up the Nav V with a small BT receiver like this one, and use a patch cord from its headphone socket to an audio input on your Autocom? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007NZN6VU/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I can attest to the fact that the Nav V will pair to this. I have not tried playing any media to it yet, though, as I use an iPod for music.

I am only surmising that I have version 1 because it is about 5 years old.....

You could pair up the Nav V with a small BT receiver like this one, and use a patch cord from its headphone socket to an audio input on your Autocom? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007NZN6VU/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I can attest to the fact that the Nav V will pair to this. I have not tried playing any media to it yet, though, as I use an iPod for music.

Is the volume is good as you get out of a direct linkage from the 660 mount?

BT seem to transmit a lower volume ..

Going back the original question, I picked this out of a link on the other Nav 5 thread currently running:

There are a significant number of BMW Exclusive features coded into the NAV5 that are only activated if the device is connected to either a 2013+ GS or 2014+ GS Adventure using the BMW GPS [Navigation] Preparation Mount: not the Four Button Mount. These features and Apps receive data from the bike's Instrument Cluster and Trip Computer via the LIN Bus.

The fuller description is HERE

in car mount

I have just ordered the BMW in car mount for the NAV V...£80 !! not in yet...

My old 660 omly powers it but doesn't give voice/music and I believe the new unit is meant to have a mic built into it?,,

cheers :thumb2

I've solved the cannot unlock maps problem, as I'd copied the maps to the SD card AND the Nav V, forgetting that the Nav has 8gb of internal storage.:blast

Have you downloaded 'Garmin Express'?

It's their new whatsit, free download. Just plug your Nav 5 in with Garmin Express. It will recognise your unit (I think you might have to register it first) Click on Maps, go to Advanced, click on Device and Computer, then you can download the latest 2014 maps to your Nav 5 AND your computer. Need the 5 to be kept connected. I struggled at first but even for a numpty like me all soon became clear :thumb

:beerjug:

It's their new whatsit, free download. Just plug your Nav 5 in with Garmin Express. It will recognise your unit (I think you might have to register it first) Click on Maps, go to Advanced, click on Device and Computer, then you can download the latest 2014 maps to your Nav 5 AND your computer. Need the 5 to be kept connected. I struggled at first but even for a numpty like me all soon became clear :thumb

Yep, I've got Garmin Express loaded.:thumb Piece of piss.:beerjug:

i-s9L6xm8-L.jpg

i-pcQswLZ-L.jpg

I use my Nav IV with Starcom - you can plug a bluetooth module into Starcom or Autocom

Back
Top Bottom