BMW Off Road Course - TIPS!

Great course - just got back from part 1 this week-end and discovered Whatton was on it too! And he had a camera, the jammy bugger!! So no doubt shots of him doing a water splash will surface in here!

Bloody aching like hell, especially my back - Si made picking up the GSA look so easy - it's still a heavy bugger. But I'm still grinning and looking forward to doing another course!!

I was on the course too (very bright lime green waterproof trogs), I must have missed you. Top tip for anyone going is to take some really cheap waterproofs to put over your normal stuff if the weather is bad so you can just throw them away at the end of the day.

Great course, great fun and yes I'm aching all over. I'm entering the Cambrian Rally though later in the year as it was so much fun.....

AndyT:cool:

Great course - just got back from part 1 this week-end and discovered Whatton was on it too! And he had a camera, the jammy bugger!! So no doubt shots of him doing a water splash will surface in here!

Bloody aching like hell, especially my back - Si made picking up the GSA look so easy - it's still a heavy bugger. But I'm still grinning and looking forward to doing another course!!

yeah i was there too!! did the level 2. and there is a steep learning curve between the level 2 and 1, glad i did it though top few days!!

yeah i was there too!! did the level 2. and there is a steep learning curve between the level 2 and 1, glad i did it though top few days!!

:postpics

Come on then Jim - show us the pics!! Powerslides, jumps, the works!! :cool:

:postpics

Come on then Jim - show us the pics!! Powerslides, jumps, the works!! :cool:

one of the instuctors took a load of us all, just awaiting the CD!

guess who got chose for the 'special' group on day 2 along with 2 others to be led by simon pavey for a days trail riding! amazing day :thumb2 thought i'd broken a rib but no just bruised and battered!

one of the instuctors took a load of us all, just awaiting the CD!

guess who got chose for the 'special' group on day 2 along with 2 others to be led by simon pavey for a days trail riding! amazing day :thumb2 thought i'd broken a rib but no just bruised and battered!

Pavey's little bitch...:whip Give it me Si, harder, harder.....

Pavey's little bitch...:whip Give it me Si, harder, harder.....

:confused: funny matt hall was there too, bloke that did the dakar with charley and simon and they all take the piss out of the dakar thing as much as we do for muttley!

Jimbo

I don't s'pose you could enlighten me into the differences and difficulties between stage 1&2?? Not sure whether I'd be good enough to graduate to stage 2.....but don't really want to do 1 again as doing the first day again would be a waste of time.

I did stage 1 a month ago and absolutely loved it. I've only been riding a year on a dakar but found it within my skill levels....just! On the first day I was well chuffed with myself, all of the braking I had nailed. However come the next day, my ego landed with a shuddering crash :eek:. After not dropping my bike on day 1 I then made up for it big style (lost count how many times I dropped it). I think it was down to poor peg weight transfer/steering, and looking at obstacles and being drawn to them rather than going round them, DOH!! Never a problem normally :nenau .....in London.

At 6'1'' I found the x-challenge a bit on the small side (when standing up, 'cos you need long legs to sit on it), far preferred the 1200gs when I tried that out, much more torque making it nice 'n' easy :D , although the 1200's seemed somewhat prone to punctured rocker covers as our group found out!

Great site guys - it's my first post, so easy on the ribbing :cool

B

Me 2! I was there!

> with 2 others

There was three of use at the start! I managed at least 10 minutes....:eek:

> one of the instuctors took a load of us all, just awaiting the CD

Yes - but it wasn't his camera! Not sure who it was - but I'd like to see the pictures as well!

Matt Hall - top bloke.

... and bbb:

Redo-ing level 1 can be fun - just book a different bike - say the 12 or the X-challange.

They've lowered the X-challanges as far as they'd go - I managed ok at 5'8'' but getting on and off was a challange (the bike seems to rise up and want to throw you off!) and I did drop it a couple of times just because it was still too tall for me :(

This thread was good - til it was hi-jacked :mad: I blame Nic!

Ah - to keep it on topic:

Top Tip!

Ask which way they are going to serve the tables at the Abercrave and sit accordingly - don't assume it's the same as last time and end up on the last table when you want to get to bed early :blast

J

Last edited:
Last minute level 2 places available for 350 notes!!

If anyone is interested, we've done a group booking for the offroad skills and have four places left for Level 2 for only 350 pounds each!
(We've had 4 cancellations last week - a group of mates together unfortunately and it's left us a bit high and dry)

It's short notice,but it's for next weekend 27th/28th May (the bank holiday). 2 of the places are on R1200GS' and 2 are on the new X-Challenges.

e-mail me snhall@bmwr1200gs.wanadoo.co.uk or telephone me on 07740 169350, or we're at the BMF Peterborough show this weekend so just come and ask about us on the BMW stand (as we've asked them to ask around too) or contact Kylie or Laura direct at OffRoadSkills on 01639 845841.

Lots of beer on the last night to celebrate our getting through the weekend :beerjug:

Jimbo

I don't s'pose you could enlighten me into the differences and difficulties between stage 1&2?? Not sure whether I'd be good enough to graduate to stage 2.....but don't really want to do 1 again as doing the first day again would be a waste of time.

I did stage 1 a month ago and absolutely loved it. I've only been riding a year on a dakar but found it within my skill levels....just! On the first day I was well chuffed with myself, all of the braking I had nailed. However come the next day, my ego landed with a shuddering crash :eek:. After not dropping my bike on day 1 I then made up for it big style (lost count how many times I dropped it). I think it was down to poor peg weight transfer/steering, and looking at obstacles and being drawn to them rather than going round them, DOH!! Never a problem normally :nenau .....in London.

At 6'1'' I found the x-challenge a bit on the small side (when standing up, 'cos you need long legs to sit on it), far preferred the 1200gs when I tried that out, much more torque making it nice 'n' easy :D , although the 1200's seemed somewhat prone to punctured rocker covers as our group found out!

Great site guys - it's my first post, so easy on the ribbing :cool

B

I'd say they step things up a gear on level 2 as you'd expect really. The first day is pretty much a re-run of level one but a shorter version. The trails they take you on are a bit more challenging but they base the ride on the average skill accross the group.

Day 2 - more time spent riding and actually learning new stuff, crossing ruts, brake turns, and again depending on how you are getting on will determine the type of trail rides done.

I'd say go for it you'll learn loads and what better way to spend a weekend! I'm hooked! :thumb2

Dear bbb

Come with us, we've done a group booking 20 people on level 1 and 8 people on level 2. We've 3 places left on level 2 (2 x X-Challenges and 1 x R1200GS place).

It's a reduced rate, (due to late cancellation - but we have to fill the places for our cancellations to get their 85% money back!) so if you're thinking about it anyway. You've done level one and you feel it a waste of time doing level one again - there's only one way forward!

Cheers

mmm tempting ... have done Hechlingen, so doing Wales as well would be a nice contrast ...

*** thinking ***

Just let me know if you want the X-challenge or the R1200GS and I'll put your name down - it's just gotta be done!

seriously though - when you've thought about it, let me know.

cheers

Dear bbb

Come with us, we've done a group booking 20 people on level 1 and 8 people on level 2. We've 3 places left on level 2 (2 x X-Challenges and 1 x R1200GS place).

It's a reduced rate, (due to late cancellation - but we have to fill the places for our cancellations to get their 85% money back!) so if you're thinking about it anyway. You've done level one and you feel it a waste of time doing level one again - there's only one way forward!

Cheers

Dear OffRoadNutter!

I'd be more than up for it, but unfortunately I had an operation on my shoulder this weekend so biking is out for a while...grrrrr:mad: , best be sorted soon, 'cos I'll turn into a bear with a sore head if I have to start driving!

Anyway, I'll be up near Rosedale where the GS convention's taking place this weekend.

Cheers,

bbb

Sry O-R-N but reluctantly have to pass ...

Moving houses in 2 weekends, and the Mrs has this long weekend down for packing :ymca . Now a choice between packing and off road riding is normally a pretty easy one, but on this occasion, failing to do one of them could leave me without reproductive organs. That swings the balance round again.

Would have loved to have joined.

Ok, to you both - very understandable on both counts!

Have a good weekend :thumb

I have read all the posts here with great interest :)

Thanks for the top tips too :thumb . . . . however, after hearing some of the stories here, I'm now a bit worried as to how I'm going to get on :mmmm I'm doing level one early August.

I hope I come home in one piece!!! :rolleyes:

Shirley

PS I remember reading somewhere that it's a good idea to make sure your toenails are right short? is this a top tip also????? :nenau

I didn't notice any problem from my toe-nails... :rolleyes:

I went into the course with the same trepidation as most people do. (you are not alone in any feelings of impending doom...) But I stuck with my decision to go with a 1200 as my main reason for being there was to develop muscle memory on my own bike...

In the end, I never had to pick it up once (after the initial pickup exercises)... and this kept me from having any tiredness effects what so ever... I wasn't sore, nothing pulled or torn.. it was an easy couple days, with some sprinklings of fear smattered through them... If I didn't need to be home, I'd have stayed for the level two spot that opened up...

I put this down two main things. (ahh the advice bit =)

Get comfortable riding very slowly (sitting or standing) Come to stop and see how long you can keep your feet up... roll forward very slowly while waiting at stop lights with feet on pegs, feathering the clutch for control... Ride in parking lots, following the lines, as slowly as possible... The ability to do this instinctively really helps keep you from falling off your bike.

And take it easy during the course... Think about every exercise, bump and hill... don't just fly into the situations. Watch ahead, decide your line, and trust your ability to control the bike slowly. Freaking out is a sure way to find yourself cartwheeling away from the clattering mess that was your ride...

Of course higher levels of skill require you to be able to hold some speed... but Level 1 is not about this... It's about balance, picking your line and keeping your head.

Al...

Back
Top Bottom