Well have just returned from my Spain trip and I must say I did find the Portsmouth to Santander ferry very good.
Some reasons for my inadvertent choice:
- For me to get to Plymouth would have been another 3 hours motorway riding
- I enjoyed the relaxing day on the ferry
- new boats. Built 2021
- to me comvenient boarding time and disembarkation giving a full day either side to do what you want. Boarding Portsmouth 1930. Arrival Santander 0800
- parking on deck 5 and only 2 flights of stairs to the cabins
- easy parking for bikes and crew to secure them for you
- decent bars although food not great
- good breakfast
- Santander is easy to get out of and straight into the hills at a decent hour. Arrival 0800 and off at 0830
- cost was actually Ok
I have read on here that on the return leg on the Plymouth ferry getting home is a real slog unless you live in Devon. For me it would be a 5 - 6 hour ride to Harwich at least and then another ferry
Some reasons for my inadvertent choice:
- For me to get to Plymouth would have been another 3 hours motorway riding
- I enjoyed the relaxing day on the ferry
- new boats. Built 2021
- to me comvenient boarding time and disembarkation giving a full day either side to do what you want. Boarding Portsmouth 1930. Arrival Santander 0800
- parking on deck 5 and only 2 flights of stairs to the cabins
- easy parking for bikes and crew to secure them for you
- decent bars although food not great
- good breakfast
- Santander is easy to get out of and straight into the hills at a decent hour. Arrival 0800 and off at 0830
- cost was actually Ok
I have read on here that on the return leg on the Plymouth ferry getting home is a real slog unless you live in Devon. For me it would be a 5 - 6 hour ride to Harwich at least and then another ferry