Jiggered if I know - first leakdown test I've done tbh. It sounded very much like it was coming from the valves or the jug itself. Opening the throttle made no diference to tone, pitch or volume so I don't believe its the inlet valve. Whipping the oil filler cap off gave a louder sound and the rocker cover did appear to be pressurised a bit, but difficult to tell if the leak was coming from the valves, the guides or the jug. I'll have another go with some tubingfrom where ?
valves ? in or ex
dipstick ? rings
I had the time so I don't conssider it wasted to whip the head off and have a quick visual inspection to see if there was anything obvious given that it had been recently disturbed. It didn't take long but I take your point.you have to pin it down , if you do not , you will have to cover every base in the HOPE of fixing it.
otherwise you are wasting your time .
and you've done that already .
Did all that and leak LH side %was 25% @80psidid you do LD properly ? CHECK
compressor full .CHECK
engine at TDC , valves shut .CHECK
lock engine stationary , either lock the crank or in to top gear and strap the rear brake down HARD . you do not want the crank turning. CHECK
connect LD to compressor , ZERO it , so it shows 0% leak CHECK
connect to engine . note % leak .See below
Very faint hiss but way in the background background and obviously coming from elsewhere in the combustion chain.take tube , listen at exhaust port or rear of pipe .
VTO point and again at air filter housing. Again very faint insignificant background hiss not indicative of being the source. Opening Throttle to WOT made no difference and according to other guides if it was inlet valves I would have expected the hiss to get noticeably louder. It didn'tlisten at throttle body , or vacuum take-off point .
Noticeably louder hiss when oil filler cap is removed than any of the other points (I presume thats what you mean by the diptstick - oil level on the 1100GS is by sight glass).remove dipstick , listen .
Resultsa % of 0-10 wouldn't worry me ,
if you still can't work this out , go and find Martin Vermiere , trading as martins mechanical services , he is in Crickhowell
![]()
Martin’s mechanical services
Martin’s mechanical services. 194 likes · 1 talking about this. Garden machinery servicing and repairs, motor cycle repairs and servicing, mot preparation. Electrical issues traced and repaired.www.facebook.com