Centre stand refurb

Slipperyeel

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have a question for those of you that have refurbished your centre stands as mine is about to get a facelift.

Looking on the BMW parts catalogue, it shows a stand that doesn't actually match the design of my stand (the workshop CD does show the right stand, but not the parts in and exploded view).

Looking at the image below, a screenshot of the BMW parts list, is there really just one piece of part #2? Or are there two - one each side?

As you can guess, I haven't got into it yet, looking to buy what I need and then get into it with the parts ready. Any tips are welcome

a812bbc830a4de1d417b95b3ea6db18c.jpg

Sent from my SM-S908B using Tapatalk

So do you think the stand is only attached on one side. :D

What does the supporting text say regarding the number of items ?

Mine needs cleaning up too, it has some rust on it, i growl at it every time i clean the bike.
I want to remove it, sand it treat the rust and re paint

check this video

R1250GS Removing the Main Stand

So do you think the stand is only attached on one side. :D
Yea. How else could it be?

But, mechanically speaking, it is not actually a given that there are bushes on both sides... Hence my question

. Any tips are welcome

As already covered in another thread, no stands are necessary on the Steed of Awesomeness.

Just chuck them away and bask in the warm afterglo created by knowing that you have the lightest one out there.

What does the supporting text say regarding the number of items ?
That's what I did first. On the fiche it shows the image I shared and just gives a cost, with no mention of quantity

I'll have another look at the workshop manual, but in my first look, it focused on the bolts/bush arrangement highlighting some greasing locations, but not quantity!

**small update: I looked at the workshop manual again. It's remarkably vague. It just refers to 'bushings' rather than give a quantity.

Last edited:
As already covered in another thread, no stands are necessary on the Steed of Awesomeness.

Just chuck them away and bask in the warm afterglo created by knowing that you have the lightest one out there.
Mine lives on the centre stand when it's not ridden... That might change when I get the ConStand working (long story ).

I'm not doing too have any problems doing this job. I'm just trying to get a heads up and have any parts to replace on the ready (bushes mostly I think) and of course picking up any do's and don'ts along the way if possible!

But now I know it needs only one bush thanks to Steptoe's confirmation

So the last question is. Do people find the big torx screws survive the disassembly or do they get replaced? I can buy 3 for the price of one bush!@#€&!

That's what I did first. On the fiche it shows the image I shared and just gives a cost, with no mention of quantity

I'll have another look at the workshop manual, but in my first look, it focused on the bolts/bush arrangement highlighting some greasing locations, but not quantity!

**small update: I looked at the workshop manual again. It's remarkably vague. It just refers to 'bushings' rather than give a quantity.

Have a look at the column labelled "Qty " 😉 The diagram only shows one side because the other is identical
1000006174.png

Right. It's all off - dead easy job if you're considering it.

I had this idea the bushes - yes, all two of them - were plastic. They're not. They appear to either bronze or something containing it. I haven't removed those yet as they need to be driven out, so some heat needed. I'll also turn up a driver to knock them out. So it looks like the new bushes will need a trip to the freezer before being put in. I'll find out soon enough.

Some pictures below that might be of use if you're thinking of doing it. Much better than the fiche or workshop CD! Think I caught mine just in time, no meaningful corrosion

Oh, you'll need a 22mm spanner to hold the back of the pivot pin.

5eb0ebe8781d75e07d1ee6f8c375fb46.jpg
41965c3cfe8f18643755c147ed288af5.jpg
f225deb1e12d473f685b56c47aa9aef6.jpg
83e38c40be3e02e22d16cc5574a8dc44.jpg
fdd91704c465ef809b64a341340c0812.jpg
4ed708bf065cf764016eb4fcb31e8f1b.jpg
2b0d1aaec68792b04e71ee97f17157d6.jpg

Reactions: MWH
Ok. Now show me on here where it says two pieces

8ad20f6eff9c0ab708b1797ec6ae200c.jpg

The centre cross bar soon gets chipped even if powder coated.( stones from the front wheel).
When I have had them powder coated I have slit a length of rubber heater hose to go over it and hold the hose in place with 4 cable ties.

The centre cross bar soon gets chipped even if powder coated.( stones from the front wheel).
When I have had them powder coated I have slit a length of rubber heater hose to go over it and hold the hose in place with 4 cable ties.
I think that's a good call and actually, I've been wondering just what to do with that cross tube. Helicopter tape came to mind, but I'm liking your suggestion

Back
Top Bottom