Coding OEM Aux lights for R1250GS TE 2022

keithyboy

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm new here, so please be gentle with me.

Have got a '22 r1250gs and recently had OEM Aux lights fitted by non-franchised dealer.
Mechanic advised to get the lights 'coded' 'enabled' or 'registered' to the bike before they work, by a Bmw dealer.

Any idea how long this will take? Bahnstormer suggested anything between 2/6 hrs??

Does this sound about right guys?

Thanks for any advice.

Keith

Try a couple of searches, there have been a few threads on coding aux lights. It is not just a switch on by a GS911 or similar, it is proper coding. Best thing is phone another dealer and ask them how long.

To have OEM lamps enabled, the bike needs to have an ECU update with the activation for the lights included. Bahnstormers time estimate is about right but the mechanic won't be working on the bike for that long, it's just an estimate of how long an ECU update will take on the computer.

Try a couple of searches, there have been a few threads on coding aux lights. It is not just a switch on by a GS911 or similar, it is proper coding. Best thing is phone another dealer and ask them how long.
Sure, thanks

To have OEM lamps enabled, the bike needs to have an ECU update with the activation for the lights included. Bahnstormers time estimate is about right but the mechanic won't be working on the bike for that long, it's just an estimate of how long an ECU update will take on the computer.
Thanks for this, was worried the hourly rate may morph into a daily rate

Kind of related question: our bikes have recently been subject to a recall - the software update to prevent the shaft snapping when were doing freestyle motorcross tricks on our GS`s.
Mine went in for service a couple weeks ago and they had it overnight because the software update can take so long, but why so long?
It cannot be that lengthy on the factory production line as a bike is being completed every 2 minutes or whatever, have dealers all still got dial-up or something....?

The system that dealers have to use is woefully antiquated and slow. The dealers hate it. Updates take forever such that the dealer's system is tied up and unavailable for work on other bikes.

I am not sure that an actual ECU update is required for the lights. This sounds more like coding (coding refers to choosing between options already programmed into the ECU). In that case a GS-911 or the Motoscan app may be all that is required.

Kind of related question: our bikes have recently been subject to a recall - the software update to prevent the shaft snapping when were doing freestyle motorcross tricks on our GS`s.
Mine went in for service a couple weeks ago and they had it overnight because the software update can take so long, but why so long?
It cannot be that lengthy on the factory production line as a bike is being completed every 2 minutes or whatever, have dealers all still got dial-up or something....?
Dial up, chuckle, evolution in reverse...

The system that dealers have to use is woefully antiquated and slow. The dealers hate it. Updates take forever such that the dealer's system is tied up and unavailable for work on other bikes.

I am not sure that an actual ECU update is required for the lights. This sounds more like coding (coding refers to choosing between options already programmed into the ECU). In that case a GS-911 or the Motoscan app may be all that is required.
Thank you ! I have the Motoscan App, failing this will try Bavarian Bikes in Guildford, heard some good things about them.

Back
Top Bottom