Customs charges

p.joe

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Gents anyone find a way around paying customs on secondhand items bought in the UK, off this forum .

Apart from someone doing a run in a Transit van for a few Tossers who have purchased some farkles, across the water.

Returning from the NEC previously i remember having to break down any packaging if possible from new purchases and wear multiple layers of bike clothing through the Airport.

Regards P.joe

Find a northern asshole (like me) who lives in newry and get them posted there. Afterwards a nice bike run to collect them..
Wife's neice's husband works in Dublin and travels daily from house beside me.

Find a northern asshole (like me) who lives in newry and get them posted there. Afterwards a nice bike run to collect them..
Wife's neice's husband works in Dublin and travels daily from house beside me.
Yes. It’s quite a simple solution really. Not that I’d do anything like that myself. Just because I have a sister in law living 100 yards from the border no way would I do anything like that. No way. JJH

If it’s second hand you can mark it as a gift and avoid customs. I’ve bought and sold a fair bit since Brexit and once marked as a gift it’s not open to taxes

OOhpod is your friend.

Yes. It’s quite a simple solution really. Not that I’d do anything like that myself. Just because I have a sister in law living 100 yards from the border no way would I do anything like that. No way. JJH
And I definitely wouldn't get involved in anything like that either ;)

Thanks, Guys for the kind offer of receiving, another's items/Farkles.

Personally, i wouldn't indulge in such behavior myself as trying to avoid Taxes., I'm just asking for a friend, did I not say;) ..... P.joe

Thanks, Guys for the kind offer of receiving, another's items/Farkles.

Personally, i wouldn't indulge in such behavior myself as trying to avoid Taxes., I'm just asking for a friend, did I not say;) ..... P.joe
If reasonable distance that OOHPod is very good - €3.95 for a normal size (Parcel Motel Locker size) Parcel or €6 for oversize. Oversize there is no time limit (within reaosn) and the girsl are lovely in the offcie to deal with.

If it’s second hand you can mark it as a gift and avoid customs. I’ve bought and sold a fair bit since Brexit and once marked as a gift it’s not open to taxes
Anyone else have experience marking as gift to avoid customs?
I've my eye on a s/h helmet.

Ohhh...how would the island of Ireland manage without a border to smuggle things over??:oops::cool::oops::rolleyes:

Ohhh...how would the island of Ireland manage without a border to smuggle things over??:oops::cool::oops::rolleyes:
With difficulty. Quite a few people make a good living out of smuggling or allligned activities like fuel laundering. JJH

I no longer have my eye on a helmet, I've now bought a helmet from a member here in Scotland.
Any help getting it to Cork or even the Republic would be mighty!!

I no longer have my eye on a helmet, I've now bought a helmet from a member here in Scotland.
Any help getting it to Cork or even the Republic would be mighty!!
If you can get it to Dublin/Kildare....... I'll get it to Cork for you.
I travel to Cork every Wednesday.

Sent with a Zen10

If you can get it to Dublin/Kildare....... I'll get it to Cork for you.
I travel to Cork every Wednesday.

Sent with a Zen10
Gents speaking of helmets, Im in the market for a new lid. Have been looking at some in from the Visor shop, but have come to the conclusion that there's as much value to be had in the Rep lately with sterling being strong. Have almost settled on a Shoei Neotec 2 to replace my ageing Arai Maverick which i love and still a decent fit but i would be embarrased to say how old it is.
Has anyone got good deals lately on such an item or should i wait for 2024 pricing schedule.

Unfortunately.....the advantage the UK have is that helmets are considered safety equipment and are exempt from VAT.
Not so in the ROI.

Last helmet I bought came from Holland.
Took a chance on the size as I wouldn't use an Irish stockist to just try on and purchase elsewhere.

You will probably get good deals on the models that are being superceded.......there is a Neotec 3 available now......so possible deals on Neotec 2.

Don't overlook HJC

I'm currently using a RPHA 90S.....it's my second HJC.

If you are taking a chance on a RPHA helmet from the HJC range.......go up 1 size from what you normally take in a Shoei.

Sent with a Zen10

Unfortunately.....the advantage the UK have is that helmets are considered safety equipment and are exempt from VAT.
Not so in the ROI.

Last helmet I bought came from Holland.
Took a chance on the size as I wouldn't use an Irish stockist to just try on and purchase elsewhere.

You will probably get good deals on the models that are being superceded.......there is a Neotec 3 available now......so possible deals on Neotec 2.

Don't overlook HJC

I'm currently using a RPHA 90S.....it's my second HJC.

If you are taking a chance on a RPHA helmet from the HJC range.......go up 1 size from what you normally take in a Shoei.

Sent with a Zen10
Good advice, yes awaiting to see if the Neotec will come down in price having now been superceded.
Thanks for the heads up on sizeing and info regarding HJC.

Not so in the ROI.
And if you buy the matching comms kit at the same time you can save the VAT on that too.

Good advice, yes awaiting to see if the Neotec will come down in price having now been superceded.
Thanks for the heads up on sizeing and info regarding HJC.
There's a lad on here.... Jamie.....from Motocentral.co.uk

He gives a UKGSer discount.

You could find yourself a good deal on a Shoei or HJC (because the RPHA 90S has also been replaced) and have it shipped to one of the storage locker crowds in NI
(OoPod)

Sent with a Zen10

Back
Top Bottom