Damaged bike, what would you do? Dealer question

peej1977

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all, I have a question regarding damage done to a brand new bike. Let me set the scene, back in September I ordered a brand new 1250GSA Trophy edition on a PCP deal and chopped in my 2019 1250GSA for it that same day, handed it over. Bike was supposed to have been delivered in November but due to issues with the heated seats, which were removed from the spec, it was looking like mid/late December.

During the process of waiting for it, expectations were set for an update, and in every instance I waited at least a week beyond this point to ask for an update, which was immediately forthcoming, but frustrating as it was always me who had to chase it up despite being promised an update on specific dates.

The bike eventually got delivered to me on Tuesday January 17th as the roads were icy and my own road would have been impossible to ride on. They came about 8:30, wheeled the bike outside the house and did a very quick hand over before wanting to disappear quite promptly. While they were there we had a quick walk around the bike etc. I wheeled the bike into the shed.

2 hours later I got a call to tell me that they needed to come take the bike back off me as due to an "admin error" the bike had neither been taxed or registered with the DVLA. Apparently that latest recall was preventing them from registering the bike until it had been completed, how true this is I don't know. But at about 3pm they picked the bike up again from me and I was told it was be in the workshop first thing the next day and then returned to me.

Late on Thursday the 19th I got a call to say it was only just finished and would be returned to me on the Friday, which it was and was again wheeled into the shed where it sat until the 11th Febuary when I rode it for the first time and covered just under 200 miles. I returned home and due to there still being salt on the road I decided to snow foam the bike, then rinse it. A process I repeated twice before drying the bike with a pet blower. After this I used a microfibre towel to wipe down any surfaces I hadn't gotten to and noticed some deep scratches and gouge marks in the engine paint on the RHS of the bike, basically tucked up inside where the front of the cylinder head is.

I have no clue how this happened, other than to say that I can vouch it didn't happen in my time with the bike. The scratches/gouges go both vertical and horizontal. This wasn't spotted on the hand over as I had to literally be laid on my side with a torch to see it.

I made the dealer aware the very next day, the 12th and made no accusation and no demands of any kind. They asked me to take the bike in which I did the day after (Monday the 13th) and they looked at the bike and took pictures. I was told that the "Manager" was in an HR meeting and the Sales guy would speak to him and give me a call immediately after with an update. This update never happened.

On the Friday I emailed him (couldn't get through on the phone) and asked for an update and was told by email that his Manager had asked him to "wait until Monday" and they would have a conversation and get back to me about what may or may not happen. This update also never happened. I tried to call yesterday but couldn't get through so I again emailed, an email that has yet to be acknowledged.

Obviously I understand their position, for all they know I could have damaged the bike myself and just be trying it on, so I do respect the fact they are not just going to be like "yeah no worries we'll replace the engine casings" etc. But obviously from my point of view I know that I didnt do the damage, add to this that they damaged my last bike twice as well. Obviously I have no way of knowing when the damage occured, was it at the factory, in transit, when the dealer prepped it, when they cleaned it before bringing it to me and I respect the fact they don't either. But I feel like I'm being ignored now.

Like I said I haven't made any accusations, demands or threats. I have simply made them aware of the damage. The damage itself doesn't really bother me too much per se, it's in a location I don't have to look at, but having had engine paint issues with the last bike and given how deep the scratches appear to be, my concern is that at some point in time if I were to have issues with the engine paint, I can't be sure that it would be upheld as a warranty claim, especially given it's clearly damage to the paint not wear and tear.

Sorry for the waffle, just wanted to make sure all the facts were clear.

Did you use a Credit Card at any point in making the transaction with the dealer, such as a deposit ?

If so, it could be worth calling their card services team and discussing the matter with them.

They have the option to recall the funds under "chargeback", which will undoubtedly get the dealers attention.

Did you use a Credit Card at any point in making the transaction with the dealer?

If so, it could be worth calling their card services team and discussing the matter with them. They have the option to recall the funds under "chargeback", which will undoubtedly get the dealers attention.

Only for the refundable deposit sadly, which was duly refunded to it after handover.

Only for the refundable deposit sadly, which was duly refunded to it after handover.

Do they also provide free legal cover ? As it relates to the transaction made on the card, you could still be entitled to help if a legal process develops.

If its really difficult to see on the engine casing is there anything else which would have been scratched or damaged at the same time,in the same area, or is it behind/partially covered by something that should have been damaged but hasn’t been?

If its really difficult to see on the engine casing is there anything else which would have been scratched or damaged at the same time,in the same area, or is it behind/partially covered by something that should have been damaged but hasn’t been?

It's right in front of the cylinder head, here (see pic). Looks obvious to see in this pic but if youre stood next to the bike you can't see it.

Attachments

• SCR-20230223-ltf-2.jpg
    SCR-20230223-ltf-2.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 1,088
You state that they damaged your bike twice before. I’m surprised you actually bought another bike from them. Also with that kind of history it makes a bit easier to show a track record of damage caused by them. I think it will be hard to make it stick unless it’s in an area that it would be impossible for you to damage. Also the bike has been trough a few different hands and that makes it harder to nail anything down. The runaround from them doesn’t inspire confidence. JJH

You state that they damaged your bike twice before. I’m surprised you actually bought another bike from them. Also with that kind of history it makes a bit easier to show a track record of damage caused by them. I think it will be hard to make it stick unless it’s in an area that it would be impossible for you to damage. Also the bike has been trough a few different hands and that makes it harder to nail anything down. The runaround from them doesn’t inspire confidence. JJH

I didn't buy the first bike from them, just used them for servicing and warranty work. When they changed the engine the first time due to piston slap they knocked a massive chunk of frame powder coat off where the engine bolt goes, which they dealt with swiftly. And then when they serviced it they put a massive gouge in the allow from a tire lever but again they fessed up and replaced the entire wheel. So my relationship wth them has always been good, despite the mistakes they've always taken ownership and dealt with it.

It's right in front of the cylinder head, here (see pic). Looks obvious to see in this pic but if youre stood next to the bike you can't see it.
I wonder if the headers have been changed at all and someone’s tools have scratched the paint.

If it really bothers you (it would me) I would ride to the dealership and show them. If they suggest it must have happened since you took possession of the bike then ask them how that could have happened?

You may not get anywhere but its better than just waiting.

It sounds like workshop damage.

its not like you can even just replace a cyclinder barrel ,the lc engine ,the barrel is part of the complete engine,so a complete engine would need to be replaced.

If it really bothers you (it would me) I would ride to the dealership and show them. If they suggest it must have happened since you took possession of the bike then ask them how that could have happened?

You may not get anywhere but its better than just waiting.

It sounds like workshop damage.

I did, they’ve seen the bike and I’ve waited almost 2 weeks for a resolution.

What a fantastic way of taking the shine off your new bike experience , who is the dealer your enjoying poor service from? worth a mention to divert your fellow north westerners to a better experience elsewhere. good luck with solving the issue.

Hopefully you get things sorted, like you say long term it may develop paint issues. Shame the deposit was refunded, it's almost like it's done so the card issuer is not involved. Would be useful to know which dealer to maybe avoid.

shite news this, you are not having a good experience from the dealership. Paying for a premium brand should get you a premium service. you are handling it better than me , id be fuming at them . hope it gets sorted.

Thanks all, it'll be 2 weeks tomorrow since I made them aware of the issue, in that time I have had nothing from them, not even a courtesy call and the only update I have had was when I chased it after a week.

If I've not heard anything by Monday I'll be making a complaint to both BMW Finance and BMW UK.

Even a quick call to say "we are trying to figure out how to proceed with this, bear with us please" would have been OK. Hell, even "f*ck off, you little chancer, we aren't gonna do anything" would have been a better outcome than this.

Thanks all, it'll be 2 weeks tomorrow since I made them aware of the issue, in that time I have had nothing from them, not even a courtesy call and the only update I have had was when I chased it after a week.

If I've not heard anything by Monday I'll be making a complaint to both BMW Finance and BMW UK.

Even a quick call to say "we are trying to figure out how to proceed with this, bear with us please" would have been OK. Hell, even "f*ck off, you little chancer, we aren't gonna do anything" would have been a better outcome than this.

Why wait until Monday?

FFS, do it today asap

The 200 miles covered will likely give them all the get out required.

Probably only dealer good will would work here.

Pop up, have a brew and don't leave without a conclusion.

Back
Top Bottom