Do I sell or keep ? RD07A Africa Twin ?

MotoRevive

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm torn.

I did a nut and bolt rebuild on this bike in preparation for a RTW I was going to do in 2018. It owes me £6000. More than it's worth. But I met a girl and she became my wife. And the bike only gets out 1000 miles a year on A roads as I'm far more into my trail bikes at the moment. My first Overland bike was the same year and colour. I really regret selling it. Hence this one. But that was twenty years ago. Life has moved on.

I don't think there is a better looking or more robust and capable Overland bike if you like to take your time and like to know you can ride anywhere in relative comfort. And fix it with a Haynes manual and a basic toolkit. They are the Toyota Land Cruiser of the motorcycle world.

I took this down to the frame. And made a new bike. Engine fully rebuilt too. All done professionally with no expense spared.

But maybe it's time for a new home ??

Attachments

• IMG_20240212_211121.jpg
    IMG_20240212_211121.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:
Your marriage is yet young.... There surely will come a time.

But if you are serious, you can stop tormenting yourself by putting a price on your thread. (You still have 25 minutes to go back and edit it). A location might help.

This isn't a for sale thread..

What's it worth? I don't know. I bought it with 80,000 miles on her. Then threw the credit card at it. And hundreds of hours.

The problem is.., it maybe like a new (or better than new) bike, but all people will care about is that it has 82,000 recorded on it's Speedo and a crack in the fairing.

I'd say it's got to the be worth £4000 to a traveller. £5000 to an engineer. And £2000 to an idiot.

This isn't a for sale thread..

What's it worth? I don't know. I bought it with 80,000 miles on her. Then threw the credit card at it. And hundreds of hours.

The problem is.., it maybe like a new (or better than new) bike, but all people will care about is that it has 82,000 recorded on it's Speedo and a crack in the fairing.

I'd say it's got to the be worth £4000 to a traveller. £5000 to an engineer. And £2000 to an idiot.

So Engineer could get it for £5k or £2k ?

Watch Ariemann1 Motology videos on Youtube of the Warhorse - do not sell yours!

A friend of mine bought the one mentioned on here a couple of years ago - mint, he paid £8K! Loves it to bits and will never sell it (until another shinier thing arrives....)

I've got one. I sold a previous one and regretted it so I bought the one I have now. Paid a fortune for 2003 RD07A with only 3,000 miles - now has 16,000 miles.

I did the full length of Ruta 40 in Argentina with it two up - including the Abra del Acay at 16,200 ft. Unbelievable as it never missed a beat.

The bike is amazing - DO NOT PART WITH IT :D:D:D

You will regret it.

87DB5305-D68F-4D86-A3AB-CFAE9A2A1176_1_105_c.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm with twizzle.
If you do sell it, perhaps via somewhere like Horizons Unlimited etc....endeavouring to find a proper 'traveller' as buyer....?

Having invested so much of yourself in it and whilst you are still in two minds what do do with it, I would definitely not sell it ....YET.

For the here and now I would put it into storage PROPERLY - new oil, wheels off the ground, battery off, blathered in ACF50 blah blah, you know the drill and probably know better than I do what to do. Then just leave it UNTIL you have 100% made your mind up.

There is too much of you in it, it's not just another motorbike. Where are you going to find another?

I'll break with the common theme above....
I bought one about 15 years ago after thinking they were the mutts nuts adventure bike when I was in my early teens. Mine was a 93 bike I bought to replace an older R100GS.
It was a massive let down after the GS to me. It just felt quite numb.
This may have been resolved with custom suspension but the GS it was being compared to was a stock garage find that was far from mint or modified.
The GS looked old and a bit shit compared to the AT but to me it rode better.
It was a deffinite 'dont visit your childhood heroes' moment.
The Caveat there is that is the only AT I have ridden so perhaps they need a bit of fettling to reach the standard of 'ultimate adventure bike'?

I'm torn.

I did a nut and bolt rebuild on this bike in preparation for a RTW I was going to do in 2018. It owes me £6000. More than it's worth. But I met a girl and she became my wife. And the bike only gets out 1000 miles a year on A roads as I'm far more into my trail bikes at the moment. My first Overland bike was the same year and colour. I really regret selling it. Hence this one. But that was twenty years ago. Life has moved on.

I don't think there is a better looking or more robust and capable Overland bike if you like to take your time and like to know you can ride anywhere in relative comfort. And fix it with a Haynes manual and a basic toolkit. They are the Toyota Land Cruiser of the motorcycle world.

I took this down to the frame. And made a new bike. Engine fully rebuilt too. All done professionally with no expense spared.

But maybe it's time for a new home ??
Prices are only going one way, a true modern classic. In light of all the work you have put in to it, I would strongly suggest that you keep it.

To give it some visual perspective... (monetary value comparison disregarded)
If I was offered a brand new GS1300, trible black with self inflating tyres, wonder wheels galore etc 'ad nauseatum' *ollocks you don't need-
or your bike... it's a no brainer.
I'll take the A.T any day of the decade and spend a few bob on it. Keep it if you can afford to. Same reason I went back to a '650- More than enough to travel far with.
That's my take, bring on the buns :hide

Back
Top Bottom