Dolomites base for a few days

I'm also stayed in the hotel at the passo pordoi with great views.
Food and wine were excellent.
 
We stayed in Canazie for 4 days in the end, Bormio for 2 and Lake Idro for 1.
Canazie was a lovely place, plenty of places to eat, drink, ski lifts open to explore the mountains, Bormio was pretty much closed down, no lifts open, bars and restaurants mostly closed but, enough open to get by.
Stelvio was as I expected, busy, overrated but ticked it off the list.
Dolomites were also incredibly busy but very beautiful, I’ve never seen so many speed cameras through the towns, not that I would speed through them, just need your wits about you!
The best road, for me, was the Fluelapass, wonderful flowing and fast road, I forgot I was in Switzerland and went a tad quick over there, we didn't see any cameras though. I did get flashed in Switzerland mind, on a back road in a small town in a 30kph zone, I wasn’t concentrating, that could be painful!
Of all the countries we travelled through, I think Belgium was my favourite, I’ll be going back there for a tour for sure.
 
For those who've 'been there done that', if you were to base yourself in the Dolomites for 4-5 days, where would you choose and why?
This summer I stayed in the Hotel Gran Paradis in Campitello di Fassa (one of the Kurven und Knodel hotel chain started by the Hotel Enzian in Landeck) for 7 days. Fabulous advice from the owner on the best/quietest roads to ride. Happily downloaded routes onto my SatNag and I never ran out of excellent riding.
Secure underground parking plus use of Jetwash.
Plenty of good food and drink. 2 Saunas (naked and "clothed") and a pool.
Food at sister Hotel Condor even better from memory but it's not quite so well placed for the best roads.

Brits go there in June and September - no Brits during my stay at the end of July.
Would go back there if I needed another "Dolomites injection"

On the way home I stayed in yet another sister hotel, Apart Vivaldi, in See (Austria). Great atmosphere for an after-dinner drink. Town has a few Italian and Austrian restaurants and a great cake shop. Just my luck to be there when the Silvretta Pass was closed by an avalanche/landslip

John
 


Back
Top Bottom