Eifel… long weekend

Another nice trip report, thanks. I managed to tear my achilles in 2009 about 2 months before a Euro trip with my youngest son and some biker mates. I was determined to go and with the help of some strong pain killers and flash electric blue crutches went, photographic evidence attached. The crutched could be adjusted enough that they just fitted across the back of the bike :D

Get well soon

Attachments

• DSC02095.jpeg
    DSC02095.jpeg
    117.4 KB · Views: 37
Thank you.

There is a certain irony that, whilst I cannot bend my foot to drive a car, bar the cast, I could ride my motorcycle. Stopping, you have to be prepared for but once underway, as it’s my right leg, it’s reasonably straightforward.

Another one to say than you for the RR and links and also to wish you a speedy recovery.

The hotel over the border from Vianden was my choice Wessie. Simply because we have been coming here with our Club simce 2009. I have also stayed at the Hotel Petry in Vianden. Also good but more expensive and yes, a lot more things to do and choices for food, bars etc.
We always prefer Koerperich to Vianden. Lovely and quiet, easy and safe parkig although the carpark at the rear is a bit of a challenge. Food good. Rooms nice and relatively cheap. Still around €60 per night. Its a personal thing and the person thats been plugging this place in various threads is me. Dont think many others have had the experience

Regards ferries to and from NL yes I confess to being a “frequent traveller” and am always happy to help or advise
would you kindly share the name and location of the hotel over the border ?

thankd

Richard

So sorry to hear of your mishap.

I ruptured my Achilles December 2020 putting my new Goldwing on centre stand (68kg me versus 385 kg Wing…).

It’s a long old road to recovery but I encourage you to do as the physios say….as we get older, the recovery process is not simple (at least, in my experience).

I bought a scooter (no foot pedals) to amuse myself and travel whilst I mended, and bought a kilt on eBay as I couldn’t get my trousers over the cast or boot.

Attachments

• IMG_1511.jpeg
    IMG_1511.jpeg
    177.1 KB · Views: 22
Thank you.

A kilt! Now why didn’t I think of that?

I am looking forward to my private consultant’s appointment on Thursday early evening, delayed exactly a week by the stupidity of Axa, but a week earlier than my appointment in the NHS, which was postponed for a fortnight, due to the doctor’s strike. I have no illusions that it’s going to be anything but a long haul. I fear that my days of big heavy motorbikes might be over, not because I cannot push the things around or ride them but because I really fear rupturing my Achilles again.…. Or do I just leave it on its side stand, which (for some odd reason) I dislike doing, as I think it looks untidy and lazy. Maybe the look will grow on me?

My Enfield Himalayan weighs nothing, as does my Interceptor, so they are fine for the future. The Himalayan also fits behind my motorhome. A super scooter, perhaps? A Can-Am? We shall have to wait and see. No rush; I am not going anywhere :D :(

Thank you.

A kilt! Now why didn’t I think of that?

I am looking forward to my private consultant’s appointment on Thursday early evening, delayed exactly a week by the stupidity of Axa, but a week earlier than my appointment in the NHS, which was postponed for a fortnight, due to the doctor’s strike. I have no illusions that it’s going to be anything but a long haul. I fear that my days of big heavy motorbikes might be over, not because I cannot push the things around or ride them but because I really fear rupturing my Achilles again.…. Or do I just leave it on its side stand, which (for some odd reason) I dislike doing, as I think it looks untidy and lazy. Maybe the look will grow on me?

My Enfield Himalayan weighs nothing, as does my Interceptor, so they are fine for the future. The Himalayan also fits behind my motorhome. A super scooter, perhaps? A Can-Am? We shall have to wait and see. No rush; I am not going anywhere :D :(
Glad you have the private option as NHS mis diagnosed my rupture twice (!!!) and the plastered it the wrong way (need to be ‘Equis’ is foot pointing down) …it was only when I personally paid for a physio and a scan that the full rupture was diagnosed.

Fear not, bikes survive on their side stands and I have done 14,000 miles on my Goldwing since the fateful day. And I can still safely get my 1159 GS on its centre stand.

Main thing in my experience is to follow the guidance and do the exercises. My neighbour, similar age, did his Achilles the same day (football in his case) so we were able to compare notes as we hobbled around the country lanes one legged!

And always happy to lend you a kilt if the style appeals 😁

Attachments

• IMG_1648.jpeg
    IMG_1648.jpeg
    186.7 KB · Views: 18
The NHS (A&E at the Royal London) put me in an equine splint. The trouble is that my leg is shrinking, so the bandages that hold it on are coming a bit loose. I was meant to have seen the fracture clinic tomorrow but that was cancelled, so thankfully (rather than wait until the month end) I am in on Thursday to see the private fellow, who if nothing else can sort it out. It was either that or back to A&E to have it redone.

It doesn’t hurt, so I just sit about at home with it up and go to the pub via Uber. Thankfully (or annoyingly) it’s summer, so shorts are in order.

BMW are working on a power stand for the heavyweights it seems - https://www.cycleworld.com/motorcycle-news/bmw-electric-assist-centerstand-returns/

Personally I rarely use the centre stand on any of my bikes, just the side stand & leave the bike in first gear, as we all do on the ferries. Really only needed when cleaning/servicing.

No other option on my old Electraglide although I see there are after-market power stands available for C£300 + fitting. I do like the way the HD side stands lock themselves once weighted, so the bike cannot roll forward off the stand - there can be nothing more tragic than watching your immaculate steed roll forwards down the camber & collapse in a heap of cracked & broken plastic tupperware, especially at K16 prices.

Anyway, hope all goes well on Thursday - sounds like your arm muscles are getting plenty of lifting exercise.

An Allen Millyard alternative:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

13:40 seconds in.

I like keeping the bike on its centre stand, not least as the bike then takes up much less room in my quite narrow garage.

I never found it too hard to put the 1600 or my 1200 GSA with loaded panniers and top box, onto their stands. It’s about technique, not brute strength. As I was lifting the 1600 in Holland, my Achilles just went bang; it really sounded like a gun shot. I guess it was just waiting to happen and, just as easily, might have happened had I been climbing stairs or, as was the case with my mother, stepping onto a bus.

However, having now done it, I am not in an awful rush to do it again. I’ll ask the consultant how much strain the ‘repaired’ tendon can take. If he says, “Using it to assist the lifting of over three hundred kg of motorcycle (even when the stand acts as a lever to aid lifting) is not going to be on the cards” I’ll take his advice, willingly. I can then decide on whether to keep the bike, using the side stand exclusively, or not. We shall see. I’ll miss the 1600 if it does go but everything has to come to an end sometime.

Back
Top Bottom