Eifel… long weekend

Wapping

Reaction score
Off to Germany, to link up with forum subscriber, grantmac, who has kindly invited me along on a jaunt he’s arranged.

We will be basing ourselves in Körperich, just across the border from Vianden. I’d normally go across on the Chunnel this afternoon, to stay the night in St Omer and then ride across to Vianden / Körperich tomorrow. But, by way of a change, I am taking the 23:00 ferry from Harwich to the Hook and meeting up just outside Rotterdam. I haven’t been on a North Sea ferry for for about 40 years, dating back to the 80’s when we used to go to Assen for the Dutch TT and then down to Spa for the Belgian GP, a week later. It’ll be interesting to see what it’s like.

Have good one Richard.
They kick you off about 0800 in the Hoek, but wake you round 0630 for those who want breakfast on the boat

Looks like good weather will be following you too!
Pictures and postcards please

off on the same ferry next week, and off to the same part of germany

It’s all pretty civilised so far.

The ride from London E1 to Harwich, is perhaps 20 minutes longer than getting to the Chunnel. Getting onto the boat was quick and painless, the cabin excellent. It would certainly make sense to use this crossing if I planned to go to Holland or across to the north of Germany.

How long is the ferry crossing ?
Will you be adjourning to a cabin or downing 8 pints in the bar like a #sonsofarthritisibruprofenchapterbadassmotherfuckerbikermate ?

Departed at 23:00 UK time. Scheduled to disembark at 08:00 local time. Allowing for the hour time difference, I make that eight hours. Having enjoyed a longer than average lunch at the Town of Ramsgate on Tuesday, I swerved the chance of banter with like minds and drinking Euro Fizz, instead headed to the cabin for a very good kip.

Holland has appeared and the sun is shining. This is good, as I am wearing my mesh Rukka.

2B9A68EE-F61A-41AC-B2B2-A19DD0941230.jpeg

Holland has appeared and the sun is shining. This is good, as I am wearing my mesh Rukka.

View attachment 264583

Should be fine . It’s 9 degrees

b69a7b1ed1bf097b675c0e21ac2a7597.png

A great extended weekend away, with super arrangements by grantmac.

Or it was until my lower right leg went ‘Pop’ at Eindhoven in a petrol station. I have either ruptured my Achilles Tendon or ripped my calf muscle, dropping the 1600 on its side in the process, as I yelled and then hobbled in pain. Advised not to remove my boot, so I slept in it on the ferry. Will limp off, ride back to London and go to A&E at the Royal London to see what the news is, as I am meant to go to Stockholm on Wednesday and Le Mans, next week. Hey-ho, that’s life.

Trip report to follow.

great boat report and pics, sorry to hear about the injury, out of the two injuries you mention a "popped " calf is better to have ....hope it repairs quickly

Back
Top Bottom