Exhaust flap valve - don’t get this cable end wrong

G&T

“OK sweet heart... just one last ride”
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I just did mine, easy enough, and I wanted to lube but also get a feel of how much tension there is and how easy it turns, when servo cables not connected, for future reference.

Putting it back together the back larger metal end didn’t sit right. I fiddled and fiddled but just wouldn’t sit like the smaller one. I had positioned both ends with the indent facing up. Seems I’m more German than ze Germans where continuity is concerned as one is supposed to have the flat edge facing up on the large metal end and the indent facing up on the small one. Anyway I hope that’s of use and a memory jogger
8B5D0A24-94FB-40FD-B708-D6E2BD314EDD.jpeg

There is a very good video on YouTube as to how to clean and lube the valve

Mine is going in under warranty next week for that very job.
Apparently it's a common problem. It showed up as a fault on the TFT as the flap wasn't fully opening and closing.
I was told I could still ride while waiting.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Mine is going in under warranty next week for that very job.
Apparently it's a common problem. It showed up as a fault on the TFT as the flap wasn't fully opening and closing.
I was told I could still ride while waiting.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk
I’ve had one replaced on a 2018 GSA too. This time, I’m going to try and keep an eye on it, 2023 GS Rallye, as I love the bike + BMW stopped cycling the valve before start-up, which is when you could hear the squeaking. Now it cycles with engine running,

Thanks for posting, that's really useful as i'm planning to tackle mine next spring.

Just out of interest what high temp anti seize did you use. I searched high and low to find the stuff he used in the video (1400 degrees) but it doesn't seem to be widely available in this country. Only place i found was amazon but boy its eye wateringly expensive as it comes direct from Germany.

Thanks for posting, that's really useful as i'm planning to tackle mine next spring.

Just out of interest what high temp anti seize did you use. I searched high and low to find the stuff he used in the video (1400 degrees) but it doesn't seem to be widely available in this country. Only place i found was amazon but boy its eye wateringly expensive as it comes direct from Germany.
Rightly or wrongly I used a graphite spray that will accommodate the exhaust temperature. It is less gunky and easier to get on the shaft on the inside of the spring.

Back
Top Bottom