First 1,000 miles with a GS Rallye

FlyingPanda

Reaction score
Having just hit 1,000 miles in the first six weeks of ownership, I thought I’d post some initial observations for your thoughts, comments and (in some cases) advice.

Starting with the ‘not quite what I’d hoped’ bits:

1) Try as I might, I can’t get the TFT, Nav VI, phone and headset to play together consistently. I can successfully make calls from my shed, but out on the road, the success rate is less than 10%. I have tried all combinations of ‘switch that bit on first’ to the point that I really can’t remember which way’s supposed to work, but nothing works every time anyway.

2) Whenever I fill up, however I’ve been riding, and regardless of whether I do the ‘put it on the main stand and squeeze every drop of fuel in’ or just a quick splash and dash, the Distance to Empty display always shows 161 miles! It clearly sees that as the maximum possible range (and takes about another 40miles before it starts to come down.) Is there a way to re-educate the sensor to see the additional fuel?

3) ESA - I find that sometimes, particularly after ‘spirited’ riding, when I come to a stop, the bike is ever so slightly higher than it was when I set off. This wouldn’t be a huge problem but I’m a bit lacking in the inside leg department, so it nearly caught me out a couple of times.

4) Being really picky now, I find the very slow speed handling (sub 3mph) a bit challenging - especially with a pillion. I think this is just me, but I have never noticed the issue on any other bike. Possibly slightly lumpy fuelling or just the nature of a big boxer?

Right, on to the good stuff:

1) Putting it in Dynamic mode seems to glue it to the tarmac, the handling is incredible - especially for such a big lump.

2) Its quick and sounds great when you give it the beans

3) It’s properly comfortable, I did 6 hours yesterday no problem at all.

4) Its fun and makes me smile all the time, I keep taking the long way home!

Point 2) - you need the latest software update, but dealers don’t like doing it because it can fall over and then takes ages to sort out and may need the bike up being hooked up remotely to Germany.

2) Software update needed

3) You have ESA set at Auto, set it to Min if you are solo, will help a lot, as long as you do not weigh 150 kilos.

On point 2) after the update it still doesn’t immediately show the max range, it shows about 174 miles and then climbs up slowly as you ride and reaches a maximum after x miles then starts to reduce again.

The old bikes show about 230 miles as soon as you topped up, the new bike is not like this.

4) Hilltop might smooth things out a bit, certainly did for my TC :thumby:

Point 2) - you need the latest software update, but dealers don’t like doing it because it can fall over and then takes ages to sort out and may need the bike up being hooked up remotely to Germany.

4) Hilltop might smooth things out a bit, certainly did for my TC :thumby:

As above the update and Hilltop will solve these issues. My Euro3 MY2016 GS had much smoother fuelling after being hilltopped and the latest bikes are Euro4 which are even worse IMO

Thanks for all the suggestions. I must admit, I assumed that at the first service (last week) the dealers would apply all software updates as a matter of course. Clearly not the case, and I should have mentioned the fuel range thing but at that point had just thought that it was coincidence.

I guess I should book it back in for a software update - is there anything else I should be asking them to update, TFT for example? The bike is only a few weeks old, so you might think it would come with the latest of everything already updated, but again, clearly not!

Thanks for all the suggestions. I must admit, I assumed that at the first service (last week) the dealers would apply all software updates as a matter of course. Clearly not the case, and I should have mentioned the fuel range thing but at that point had just thought that it was coincidence.

I guess I should book it back in for a software update - is there anything else I should be asking them to update, TFT for example? The bike is only a few weeks old, so you might think it would come with the latest of everything already updated, but again, clearly not!

My dealer didn't do the software update with the 1st service either because I waited while the did the service as the update can fail in which case they have to start again so it can take hours to do, but they did book me another appointment to get the software update done and gave me a courtesy bike for the day. The GAP seems smoother too now......

The bike is only a few weeks old

Possibly on your side, but when was bike built, could have been at the dealers for a while, VIN number check will say when was built.

https://www.bmwvin.com/

Point 3 is a PITA my wife struggles to get on the bike because of this it’s a bit of a pain for me to at 5ft 8ins

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dave I put lowering footpegs on the rear for the wife, she is 5ft 2 and is a lot happier getting on and off the bike, I also lean the bike on the sidestand, while holding the front brake so she can get off and on, it helps a lot.

https://www.wunderlich.de/shop/en/passenger-footrest-relocation-26000-101-1.html

My wife is about 5ft 7 but has longer legs than me. She was okay with the 2013 and 2015 bikes it’s only the latest suspension that causes a problem

The lower foot pegs might be worth thinking about

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My wife is about 5ft 7 but has longer legs than me. She was okay with the 2013 and 2015 bikes it’s only the latest suspension that causes a problem

The lower foot pegs might be worth thinking about

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wife even though tiny says she enjoys the extra leg length on the footpegs also, more comfy.........:D I won many points, the lowering kit is only the bracket, you retain your original footpegs.

I to am 6 weeks and 1,000 miles into my 2018 Rallye...

My thoughts>

The GSAP works really well when giving it the beans, it’s a bit clunky at lower revs / speeds but I mix and match to suit

The Seat tips me forward a little too much into my nuts if that makes sense, still experimenting with seating positions.

I love the TFT tech, ( there I’ve said it) and the iPhone integration to maps and Navigator are IMO pretty good

It’s my 6th boxer ( 100/1100/1150/1200Hex/1200TC) so i’m Very comfortable with the riding dynamics

The engine is a noisy bugger - especially the R/H side

On one or two occasions it’s “bogged down” at very low revs... my 1200TC would think nothing of it - so I need to adjust.

Overall i’m Very happy....

On one or two occasions it’s “bogged down” at very low revs... my 1200TC would think nothing of it - so I need to adjust.

Same here on 2017 Exclusive, however I put it down to that new to me ride by wire thingy in the throttle, coming from throttles with cables, however I only get this in Auto mode, in Dynamic all is more quicker off the mark, and no bogging down. :hippy

Yesterday, I demoed a 2017 with TFT Rallye because I wanted to compare it to my 2013 GS TE. I was a bit disappointed to find that the engine is still a rattly lump but amazingly after a good 3 hour ride, I got back on mine and found that the engine was a lot more eager and not as lumpy on tickover as the new one.

I also thought my gearbox was sweeter and the suspension a bit plusher.

Bear in mind that mine has now done 26K + and the demonstrator 5K. The exhaust also seemed very "boomy".

The TFT was excellent though and really clear even in bright sunshine.

Another thing I noticed in the showroom was a few used "premium" GS bikes with the white spot corrosion on the engine/ head and rear swingarm/ final drive. Mine has none at all.

So my 2103 has a nippier engine, is in better nick than some newer ones, didn't need the fork stanchions reinforcing because they were engineered correctly from the start. Heel guards made of metal not plastic.

You have to wonder if as the years went on, the accountants looked for ways to save on costs here and there and actually made things worse in some areas. If the sales guy had said yesterday, take the demonstrator and give us your bike and 6 grand, there is no way I would have said yes.

I to am 6 weeks and 1,000 miles into my 2018 Rallye...

My thoughts>

The GSAP works really well when giving it the beans, it’s a bit clunky at lower revs / speeds but I mix and match to suit

The Seat tips me forward a little too much into my nuts if that makes sense, still experimenting with seating positions.

I love the TFT tech, ( there I’ve said it) and the iPhone integration to maps and Navigator are IMO pretty good

It’s my 6th boxer ( 100/1100/1150/1200Hex/1200TC) so i’m Very comfortable with the riding dynamics

The engine is a noisy bugger - especially the R/H side

Overall i’m Very happy....
Try the seat high at front and low on rear works for moi.

Try the seat high at front and low on rear works for moi.

Tried that on the 2 piece seat - trouble is the rear pushes me forward / if I push that back it leaves a huge unsightly gap..

At the present I’m running a Rallye seat...which is high front/ low back.

Back
Top Bottom