First stage of DeGarminification

DeGarmification...I like that. Sort of retiring from work and handing your laptop back. 😂
 
So far so good.

It’s updated itself and I’ve downloaded UK maps for test purposes, but worldwide map are included. I think there’s an option for UK OS maps (there is for French IGN maps) but I haven’t figured that out yet.

So it’s actually ready to go and navigate, but there’s a few more things I can customise if I want to, like the short cut buttons. Most of the faff was trying to stop the evil Google ecosystem extracting as much data as possible while selling me more stuff.

Theres an option to import GPX either from the DMD Hub, their route planner, or from the file system. Or do A-B navigation.

It has its own app launcher which can be used instead of the Android one. Today I’ll install MRA and TomTom go. Means I can follow a pre planned route then from the app launcher easily switch to Waze or Google Maps, which maybe better for local services.

I’ll also sign up for the route planner hub.

It has profiles, which is also good and was a key feature on the Montana which the Zumo’s lacked. I’ve set up one for UK Road, with imperial units, so far.
 
Can you take it to Germany and ride down a road with a road closure.
See if it asks you to take a different exit off the roundabout?

This will save you riding 11 miles down a road, only to ride 11 miles back!

Asking for a friend 🤣

PS
My Garmin didn't, live traffic my arse!
That's one thing Garmin are missing a report option to warn other road users.... although that would have been too late for my mate who followed me 😁
I expect there’s an option for that!
 
@Berin
Check if there is an option for calibrating the compass...something often missed :augie
 
I would be very happy with a device that can run MRA Navigation on a decent screen that works well with gloves, especially if it is easy to have a few apps running and toggle them to the fornt / back, like have MRA on screen, but be able to work my music player for example, and also bring up a weather app etc without having to stop the bike, take off gloves, get phone out etc....

...Which is what the XT does very well - I can control the music player, bring up a weather forecast, look at a rain radar, make a phone call using my phones contacts etc....

...if only the thing could reliably follow a fucking route!
 
I would be very happy with a device that can run MRA Navigation on a decent screen that works well with gloves, especially if it is easy to have a few apps running and toggle them to the fornt / back, like have MRA on screen, but be able to work my music player for example, and also bring up a weather app etc without having to stop the bike, take off gloves, get phone out etc....

...Which is what the XT does very well - I can control the music player, bring up a weather forecast, look at a rain radar, make a phone call using my phones contacts etc....

...if only the thing could reliably follow a fucking route!
That is how DMD works, on any Android device.
 
But thats how any app runs on an Android device ;)


My Tab nav runs any mapping software I've currently licenced & installed
Yes, but DMD has its own mini launcher and shortcuts, so it’s very easy to launch another app from the DMD nav app directly.

So you could be navigating a track in DMD, then from DMD, drop a pin to navigate back to where you were, launch Google maps to find petrol, then navigate back.
😉
 
Yes, but DMD has its own mini launcher and shortcuts, so it’s very easy to launch another app from the DMD nav app directly.

So you could be navigating a track in DMD, then from DMD, drop a pin to navigate back to where you were, launch Google maps to find petrol, then navigate back.
😉
You should have a look at DMD2.
Apparently it’s very different from the original version, which I guess would be the one you looked at.

Lots of settings and parameters to get started but they only need to be done once, and I’d say easy to use as a nav device rather than just a phone with nav apps on it.
 
You should have a look at DMD2.
Apparently it’s very different from the original version, which I guess would be the one you looked at.

Lots of settings and parameters to get started but they only need to be done once, and I’d say easy to use as a nav device rather than just a phone with nav apps on it.

tmp-1790785110036.jpg
 
Well, so far so good - the device itself is now set up, ready to use, maps downloaded and the screen configured. Various other apps including MRA and TomTom also, all now easily reachable from the DMD2 nav screen.

Navigating is dead easy, search a place, POI (which are nicely categorised), a favourite, drop a pin, then go. Configure the routing - fast road, curvy road, shortest. Avoid cities, and pick road avoidances, and avoid urban roads, each change is viewable on screen. Waypoints or POI's can be added in, either from the map or a search - in the right order, as well - no adding it the end of a long list of waypoints like MRA. The route colour can be changed, weather forecast at destination and also warnings can be switched on - in fact it told me there a fire near my route and I checked on line and there is!

Switch on satellite view if you want to, or import a GPX from the planning hub, or a file, save the route as gpx and then share it with your mates.

So that's easy. The Hub planner/route library look good, routes can be easily built, converted to tracks, joined, split, and have sections - so maybe a fast road bit then a scenic bit or off road bit.

Routes/tracks can be saved in a folder structure and shared. Next on the list is to understand this better, and also how it handles your own waypoints/POI's.

So far, it's much easier than MRA or at least so it seems. A potential weakness is that the maps are OSM, unless I've missed something - but OSM is pretty good these days, and there's always MRA if Here maps are needed.
 


Back
Top Bottom