First there was to be seven. Now it’s five to Spa Francorchamps

I know someone who bought a GT40 replica. It looked fantastic but, in reality, it was bloody awful. He sold it and bought a Jaguar XJ220 in its place.
Shame on the poor GT40 replica, when I was looking for a kitcar I went round a few of the Cobra dealers and realised that decent ones were expensive for a reason. I was looking at a cheaper version, but even that was going to be more money than i could save up and then I found the Ginetta G20 cuold be had as a complete knock down kit with a new 1.8L Zetec and the drive train modified to suit already. We built up the rolling chassis and my Dad got the body ready in gleaming British Racing Green, but I realised I was a bit out of my depth for mounting the body as the instructions from the factory were for a different car, so I had mine transported back to Ginetta for a factory body alignment.

It took a while longer (the two weeks bit from Total Recall became a running joke in my house) than ideal but I did end up borrowing a G27 demonstrator so I could deliver it to a charity track day, and when I finally got the heads up mine was ready I finished work early, cadged a lift over to Sheffield and drove it back across the Snake pass with no number plates! It was so low to the road, I felt a fallen branch smack the under side of the seat tray.

The following day I took it to work, again with no plates, as I'd arranged to have the plates made local and delivered to me. The front was meant to be a vinyl sticker but the machine broke so I only had the rear plate by the time I came home... and nearly destroyed it leaving the estate!

The main road was busy, so I was looking left and right and judging the gaps, knowing I was clear to the left, I looked right and it was clear so I applied the throttle, and in the time it took to look straight ahead I'd gone across the hump of the road and spun 180° facing back where I'd come from!
 
I got home this afternoon. At the campsite I used there were a number of Triumph drivers who stayed the weekend in lodges. They told me they only paid £25 having booked in January. Whether that was £25 each or in total I didn’t ask, but that’s definitely something I’ll be looking into for next year.

 
The Healey was fine all the way there and back, using a mixture of motorway, decent N and D roads and some goat tracks. The new throttle linkage has improved it no end.

I think though that the ignition switch might have had its day. The key turns just fine, lighting the single ignition light. It will though sometimes not ignite the engine. I can though juggle the key a little and the car starts.

There is meant to be a rubber button on the starter solenoid, which can be pushed with the ignition on (car in neutral) to ‘jump start’ the engine, but my car doesn’t have the rubber button. I guess I could bridge the solenoid with a screwdriver, to see if it’ll start?
 
I got home this afternoon. At the campsite I used there were a number of Triumph drivers who stayed the weekend in lodges. They told me they only paid £25 having booked in January. Whether that was £25 each or in total I didn’t ask, but that’s definitely something I’ll be looking into for next year.

I have priced it up for 2027, using the campsite’s website and can get to the GBP 25 figure, Keith.

If we assume three adults, in the cheapest chalet, for three nights, sleeping in one double bed and two singles it costs:

EUR 267 for three nights.

Cost per night EUR 89

Cost per person per night EUR 29.66 = GBP 25.42

:beerjug:
 
For those interested in going to what is an excellent weekend of motorsport, I’ll try to remember to post a ‘heads-up’ when the early bird entry tickets go on sale. Assuming, I spot it myself.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: KMD


Back
Top Bottom